Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Few newbie questions..

Solved!

Few newbie questions..

Hey guys new to spotify, can't believe no ones told me bout this before! Loves it, recently bought a stereo for my car that allows my iPhone to connect to and reads out all the songs on there ect.. So perfect app for me really!! But I mainly use this when I'm out in the car, an some times no good signal, so few questions about this offline mode.. How does it work? Iv saved songs but only some have turned green and some ain't? Iv turned the " offline mode " on.. In " songs " so do they all automatically work for offline when I don't have good signal? Coz I noticed some only turn green when I actually listen to the song first? So do I have to listen to them all first for them to download kinda thing? Or do they just download on there own in there own time, also, when I save an album, that obviously goes into " songs " an coz iv already got " songs " to " offline mode " turned on, and not turned on in the album section, will that album be downloaded for offline mode or does it need to be turned on in " songs " an turned on for each album I want? Just a little confused? Couldn't explain my question too good coz I'm confused to how it all works my self lol. Thanks in advance people! Probs a dumb question to experienced people so no hate comments please,

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi buddy,

Not a noob question at all, I've been using spotify premium for about 2 years now and even I'm confused by there new functionality. You see, the "Songs" and "My Music" section is a new addition.

But, how it's supposed to work for offline mode, or how it used to atleast, is that you add your songs to either existing playlists or new playlists. You then make these available for offline. Spotify will then start to sync these to your device at a quality you've selected in the settings.

If you added tracks to an existing playlist, or in your case "My Songs", that has already been made available for offline, the song will proceed to download to your device after you've added it, providing on a couple of things. 1) You have an internet connection and 2) your device isn't in offline mode. And presumably it wouldn't be the latter as you wouldn't be able to search for songs to add to a playlist in the first place.

After all this is done, you can turn on "offline" mode in the settings. What this ensures, is that you will only have access to the files you synced to your device. You can still play these out and about without opting to turn "offline" mode on, but whether or not it streams the track you downloaded or plays it from its offline cache I'm always a bit dubious about.

But that's it in a nutshell. I do exactly the same thing and listen to Spotify primarily in the car over Bluetooth using my iphone 5 🙂

I hope this helps!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Marked as solution

Hi buddy,

Not a noob question at all, I've been using spotify premium for about 2 years now and even I'm confused by there new functionality. You see, the "Songs" and "My Music" section is a new addition.

But, how it's supposed to work for offline mode, or how it used to atleast, is that you add your songs to either existing playlists or new playlists. You then make these available for offline. Spotify will then start to sync these to your device at a quality you've selected in the settings.

If you added tracks to an existing playlist, or in your case "My Songs", that has already been made available for offline, the song will proceed to download to your device after you've added it, providing on a couple of things. 1) You have an internet connection and 2) your device isn't in offline mode. And presumably it wouldn't be the latter as you wouldn't be able to search for songs to add to a playlist in the first place.

After all this is done, you can turn on "offline" mode in the settings. What this ensures, is that you will only have access to the files you synced to your device. You can still play these out and about without opting to turn "offline" mode on, but whether or not it streams the track you downloaded or plays it from its offline cache I'm always a bit dubious about.

But that's it in a nutshell. I do exactly the same thing and listen to Spotify primarily in the car over Bluetooth using my iphone 5 🙂

I hope this helps!

To add on, for the offline functionality to work, you must be subscribed to Spotify Premium.

If not you can only can shuffle music w/ads and play them via your data connection.

@Blazer89

Meet Jeremy! | Day Entrepreneur, Night, Music Fanatic
I'm here to shuffle!

• Write what matters in your heart to others, you never know whether you have another chance again.

@Summa thanks, your information is respected, stil confused a little tho! It works fine when I'm driving around so weather I done it right or not I don't know haha, @jeremygoh I thought I mentioned I was premium but must have forgot to put that in lol thanks for replys any ways guys I love spotify just confusing!!

Suggested posts