Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Fix AirPlay playing in mono instead of stereo

Fix AirPlay playing in mono instead of stereo

If I start AirPlay when a song is already playing on my iPhone, the sound outputs in mono instead of stereo on my loudspeakers.

If I force shutdown the Spotify app and reopen it, the sound is now correctly in stereo. This can be easily checked by playing "You Never Can Tell" from Chuck Berry. The high-key piano should only come from the right loudspeaker.

I have notified Spotify's support some months ago who helped me reproduce the bug with their own test Spotify account and playlist, but the bug is still here.

4 Replies

As of version 8.5.33, the bug where Spotify outputs in mono instead of stereo is still happening. Any news?

As of 8.6.26.1174, I can confirm that this bug is still there for any single speaker (non stereo) iPhone device.

Related: https://community.spotify.com/t5/iOS-iPhone-iPad/Getting-Mono-Audio-on-Airplay-2-for-Apple-TV/m-p/45...

This bug is still not fixed as of version 8.6.62.1035. The new "Mono Audio" toggle does not influence this behaviour.

@kiplantt wrote:

If I start AirPlay when a song is already playing on my iPhone, the sound outputs in mono instead of stereo on my loudspeakers.

If I force shutdown the Spotify app and reopen it, the sound is now correctly in stereo.

It's an old issue. I guess, the reason is Spotify iOS app still not supporting AirPlay 2. I don't think, it will be resolved soon.

Suggested posts