Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Forgets track position on longer (40+ min) songs

Forgets track position on longer (40+ min) songs

I am having an odd issue where, when I listen to a long track on the iOS Spotify app, and then I pause the song and quit the app, when I reopen the app and resume play, it has gone back to an earlier position in the song (sometimes a 15 to 20-minute difference.) I am specifically having this issue with the Röyksopp Late Night Tales Continuous Mix, which is a 78-minute track. I don't seem to have this issue with any regular-length songs.

3 Replies

@dimattiafilms wrote:

I am having an odd issue where, when I listen to a long track on the iOS Spotify app, and then I pause the song and quit the app, when I reopen the app and resume play, it has gone back to an earlier position in the song (sometimes a 15 to 20-minute difference.) I am specifically having this issue with the Röyksopp Late Night Tales Continuous Mix, which is a 78-minute track. I don't seem to have this issue with any regular-length songs.

I have escalated this to the community team to investigate. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Hi dimattiafilms, just to confirm a few things so we can try to reproduce this, are these the steps you're taking?

-- Search for Röyksopp Late Night Tales Continuous Mix or play it from a playlist

-- After a period (40 minutes, say), you close out of the app

-- Are you closing just by hitting home button or by 'quitting' the app entirely by double-clicking the Home button?

Also, if you start playing that track and then fast forward to about 40 minutes without letting it play, then you quit, does Spotify remember the position in the track after reopening?

--------------------------------------------------------------

For common support questions, see support.spotify.com.
To judge my musical taste, check out my last.fm.

Hi there,

I've been searching the Community for a similar issue and think I've found it.

I used a Samsung Galaxy S4, latest version of Spotify though it has existed in every version I use.

I download a lot of the BBC Five Live podcasts which can often be an hour or more in length.  I get say 36 minutes in, then pause it for later (or disconnect the speakers or headphones which does the same thing)

So long as I come back to unpause quickly, say 20 minutes or so, Spotify will "remember" the track position, 36 minutes in.  If I leave it an hour or two or longer, when I go back into the app the track is at 0.00.

I tend to quit Spotify by using the S4 "back button" until at the home screen, but hitting the home button seems to have the same effect.

It does seem more common using tracks that are downloaded locally and the synced with Spotify, as in my BBC podcast example. However I have seen it occur even in albums/playlists downloaded from Spotify directly.  The Levellers - Levelling The Land, and Ben Folds - Rocking The Suburbs to give two examples.

It's possible it could be a Galaxy S4 issue.  Sorry to mention the enemy, but when I used Google Music Play it always remembered the track position, regardless of local files synced or music downloaded from the server.  Google Music is installed as standard on the S4 so perhaps the integration works a lot better than an external app such as Spotify.

However if there is anything you can do to improve the reliability of the remembered I'd be ever so grateful so I don't have to make note of how far the track has gone when pausing!

Suggested posts