Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Free streaming failed after login with an older version of Spotify on another device

Solved!

Free streaming failed after login with an older version of Spotify on another device

Hi, I would like to report a problem. Here are the steps.

1. Use latest Spotify that supports free streaming on my iPad with iOS 7.0.4. Free streaming works.

2. Then I use an older version of Spotify that does not support free streaming on my old iPhone 4 with iOS 5.1. Because the latest version only supports iOS 6.0 and above. Spotify told me that I can use 48-hour trial of Spotify Premium. And I accepted it.

3. After 48 hours, I was not able to use free streaming on my iPad, as Spotify told me the it requireds Spotify Premium.

Both my iPad and iPhone uses the same account. Is there any way to let me use free streaming on my iPad again? Thanks for your help.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

No free spotify with that old version I'm afraid. If you have further questions concerning android, please post in the android section to avoid confusion, thanks.

View solution in original post

19 Replies

Does reinstallating the app make any difference? 

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Thanks for reply. Tried and just the same.

Hey @CliffsD -- your account is Taiwan-based, and unfortunately we're not yet able to offer free streaming on mobile/tablet from Taiwan, so you'd need Premium (e.g. that 48-hour trial) to use Spotify on iPad/iPhone. Hopefully it's something we'll have some good news about in the future.

--------------------------------------------------------------

For common support questions, see support.spotify.com.
To judge my musical taste, check out my last.fm.

I have the exact same problem, but I live in Argentina and here free streaming is available

Are you running the most recent Spotify application which requires iOS 6+ or android 2.3+?

Peter

Yes, I've installed the latest version through Google's Play Store, reseted the app, turned off my cell phone, etc, etc, but didn't had any result...

Are you getting a requires premium message?

Edit: Don't forget free streaming on mobile will only allow you to shuffle playlists and artist catalogues as well as use the radio function.

Peter

Yes, I keep getting a "requires premium" message, and I can't shuffle nor use the radio function, no materr what I do...

Definitely weird, can you let us know:

- Your Spotify version number

- Your Android version

- What make and model of phone you are using?

Peter

I think you need the current spotify vesion for free spotify. Older versions don't support this. Can you check and post the version here please?

Spotify version: 0.6.5.183

Android version: 2.2.2 (froyo.uyjpp)

CellPhone: Samsung GT-I5500l

Marked as solution

No free spotify with that old version I'm afraid. If you have further questions concerning android, please post in the android section to avoid confusion, thanks.

Unfortunately @Joe is correct, Spotify support for android 2.2 ended a while back. Current Spotify versions which include the Spotify free update require android 2.3 or above. 

Peter

Of course I'm correct. I'm always correct.

...well, most of the time 🙂

Hi, is there a list which countries offer free streaming on mobiles? I have a new Taiwan-based account that works and another one (UK converted to Taiwan) that doesn't. I'm confused. Thanks!

Free mobile streaming is not yet available in Taiwan I'm afraid, hopefully it can be added in the future!

Peter

Thanks for the reply. I think users may be confused because the release note of the mobile Spotify says free streaming is now available, even the advertisement of the desktop version Spotify says so. It would be more clear if there is a country list. 🙂

Unfortunately Taiwan is the only one I am aware of that doesn't have this feature. I would be willing to bet the Spotify guys are working on getting it added soon though!

Peter

Please add the support in Taiwan soon or at least give us an estimated date.

Interesting that there is a Taiwanese version of audio advert that constantly promotes free mobile streaming in Taiwan.

Suggested posts