Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Full Battery of Complaints

Full Battery of Complaints

Hi Spotify, just one of your lowly paid subscribers here... 

I've been with you for a long time now, which is admittedly consistent with my long history of sticking with bad relationships.  Things started off great, as they always do - at first I only had to put up with you draining my batteries at an alarming rate (and the complimentary hot pocket).  It's cool, I just took advantage of the fact that I'm chained to a device that generally has a free USB port..I mean, what's another tether when you already have one? 

But then one day last fall as I sat in my dungeon of a cubicle with no cell reception, you stopped playing for me.  Even my own music - not just what you had to offer - was completely inaccessible, no matter what I did.  I logged off, I logged in.  I reinstalled probably dozens of times.  Nothing worked, and I nearly canceled my account, because if I have to listen to other services at work..well, paying for your service is really pointless, because the entire reason I was paying was to have offline access to music without being tied to a computer. 

In a fit of desperation after asking Google if other people had these problems.  Thankfully, I was not alone..many other iOS users were having the same issues.  I waded through hundreds of posts, with plenty of reassurance that it was being looked in to.  Being a paid service, I assured myself that this was just a matter of time.  In the meantime, I discovered that the iOS4 app was still available and at least allowed me to play my offline tracks.  "Good enough...I guess..."  What can I say, I'm lazy and like familiarity. 

That was over a freaking YEAR ago. 

A few days ago, I made the mistake of upgrading to iOS7.  Actually, Spotify is the only reason I can call that a mistake - I like it other than the fact that I am now back to wanting to throw my phone at the wall when I try to listen to music at work.  The old app is now acting no differently than the new version (that I installed, reinstalled and reinstalled again after the iOS update, "...surely they fixed it by now!").  Sigh. 

I get it, Spotify.  You're big.  You're popular.  You have options.  You have enough subscribers who don't share my situation and will put up with your neglect (and probably come to your defense..for some reason..) that me threatening to take my $9.95/mo away is a laughable threat.  I don't matter in the grand scheme and I am well aware of it. 

I just want to know - are you actually doing anything more than just looking in to these issues?  Because, uhh, they're there.  I've seen 'em.  Others have too.  And an actual fix would be pretty fantastic.  I'd be willing to pay more per month if it meant you could afford to have an actual, functioning development and support staff.  Seriously!  Please..?

8 Replies

Its a bit late at night here so forgive me, so is the only issue you are having you can't listen offline? 

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

That is the primary issue - jury is still out on battery use as I haven't been using it on my phone much since the iOS7 update, but that's a minor issue in comparison.  I understand putting the phone in to airplane mode or something might band-aid the situation but that's not an acceptable fix for me (I get spotty reception but enough I can still text and make calls...sometimes...).

Dumb question though - is selecting the icon and clicking the X in the corner, saying "yes, delete my information" all that is needed for an uninstall or does it go deeper than that?  When I reinstall from the App Store, there's a little cloud icon rather than the usual "INSTALL" button so I am wondering if I am not actually doing totally fresh installs?

Phone is the standard 5 (non C/S), and thanks for your response!

The only other thing Spotify advice is clearing your cache and restarting the device:

B. Troubleshooting
Please follow the below troubleshooting steps to see if you can resolve the issue on your own:
Go to your device’s Settings
Scroll down until you get to Safari, select that
Select clear history and proceed to clear.
Select clear cookies and data (beneath clear history) and then proceed to clear.
Now you can perform a clean installation of the new app following these instructions:
Delete the Spotify application from your iPhone/iPod.
To do this, press and hold the application until it hovers and then press the X symbol
Restart your iPod/iPhone
Install Spotify again from the App Store
If you're having connection issues (which includes not finding your device in the desktop client), please also check our connection troubleshooting tips.
Start Spotify, log in and have a look if your issue was resolved

There is also an open issue topic about Offline Issues but I haven't experienced any myself with the most recent app releases. 

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Nope, had high hopes but didn't work.  😞

Sometimes all the tracks are greyed out, sometimes just some are greyed out.  There's one track I loaded from my computer that is always greyed out unless I am on WiFi.  When they aren't greyed out, they will pop up with the album art but nothing happens...sometimes they'll start playing after a minute, where they'll sometimes play through the whole song and sometimes stall out part way through.  Fun times.

Oh, Jesus, I just switched from android to iOS not even 4 hours ago, dont tell me that's what I have in store...

Seems like some have the problem, others don't.  I suppose now all you can do is hope you're in the latter group as I don't think this will actually be addressed if the past 13+ months say anything about its priority level.  #pessimipotamus

WAHOO!!!!

Holy.  Poop.  Updated to 0.9.1.230 yesterday.  Didn't work at first but after a reinstallation/resynch, after 4 hours of offline listening thus far my only complaint is it stops after playing a local (non-spotify) track.  I can deal with that for now.

That was a very narrow miss, Spotty..and about freakin' time!!

HEY I AM BACK!!!

With the latest upgrade, I can no longer synch my local files, and now my offline tracks skip like crazy.  The service is once again completely unusable.

My hate for Spotify now surpasses my hate for Windows 8.  The problem is, Windows 8 works and just doesn't make sense.  Spotify makes sense, but just doesn't work.

Goodbye Spotify, my only regret is you did this to me right after a payment.

Suggested posts