Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Gobbling data for offline only?

Gobbling data for offline only?

Hey fellas,

So, I have a bunch of albums downloaded, since my intention is to listen without wasting my (2 GB) data plan.

As of today, when the new month starts for me, I started monitoring apps, and I listened to 4 songs from an album (again, all of it is offline, saved) and Spotify had already gobbled 18 MB!

I didn't use search, I didn't do anything weird, just pushed play and pause, play and pause. That's all. 4 songs. 18 MB.

So I removed Spotify from the data-enabled apps (so, only WiFi) while I sort this out, but of course, I'm left without scrobbling, which is the big plus for me.

Is this normal? Is this related to the 2 year old bug when it constantly downloads album art for each song or something like that?

As a related note, whatsapp, with a lot of messaging today and a couple images... 6 MB during the whole day. Which sounds fair since it's just text and a few images.

But in the case of Spotify, even scrobbling shouldn't waste that much data! (It's just 3 or 4 fields sent through the Last.FM API).

I'm not connected to Facebook or anything, just Last.FM.

In any case, the "offline" playlists turn to be a little bit useless, if the app is going to be wasting data just-because. Also leaving it on offline mode seems like a cheap fix, BUT, in my case it's not a fix, since I'm left without scrobbling.

Anyone experiencing something similar?

1 Reply

Hey @user-removed

Are you still having this issue?

Spotify recently fixed a high data usage bug in the iOS app:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/High-Data-Usage-on-iOS-App-5-4-0/idi-p/1330089

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts