Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Google Cast speakers sometimes don't show in Devices list

Google Cast speakers sometimes don't show in Devices list

I've done some Googling on this, and haven't seen anyone post about a particular and annoying problem I'm having:

On my wifi network at home, I have several possible network speakers to use for Spotify playback:

- Sony SRS x77, Sony SRSZR5 (both Spotify Connect and Google Cast)

- Yamaha RX-V575 reciver (Spotify Connect only)

- Chomecast plugged into Yamaha receiver (Google Cast only)

I've got Google Cast groups set up for various playback configurations.  Also, I have problems with the Sony speakers skipping the first few seconds of songs when using Spotify connect, so I prefer to use Google Cast for playback.

Here's the problem:

From Spotify IOS app, click 'Devices' list to send playback to a network speaker. Sometimes, I'll see only Spotify connect destinations. For speakers that support both, the little ellipsis ('...') next to the device that allows me to select the protocol I want for that speaker is missing.  The Google Cast-only device (Chromecast) don't appear in the Devices list at all, nor to Google Cast speaker groups.  This problem happened before I created speaker groups, so that's not the problem.

Generally, when this happens, I'll do some combination of: restart Spotify app, restart iPhone, and wait a while, and the Google Cast speakers and speaker groups eventually appear and are usable.  Once those appear, they work just fine (although I sure wish the client connection negotiation was faster for both Spotify Connect and Google Cast.  The problem happens both a) when I've been on local wifi network for a short time, and b) when I've been on the same wifi network for a while. It seems to be a discovery problem in the Spotify iOS app.

Yesterday, I enabled 'Show local devices only' in Spotify devices, which I hoped might solve the probem, but did not.

I'm at a loss.  Anyone else experiencing this problem and have a workaround/fix?

thanks

sal

3 Replies

Yes, I am experiencing the exact same thing.  I have not found a solution as of yet.

Same problem on two chromecasts and one chromecast audio. Tried everything but cant find a solution. Sometimes they show up but most of the time they won’t. My Gramofon-unit (Spotify connect) works all the time. 

Bump! I have the same thing

Suggested posts