Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Green musical note w/ dot by playlist? Search for playlists?

Green musical note w/ dot by playlist? Search for playlists?

Hi All,

What does the green musical note w/ dot by playlist mean? It's my top playlist.

Also is there any way to search for playlists? Seems like there used to be.

Finally, it seems like Spotify is not licensed to play certain tracks, even though you may have them in your iTunes? Is this the case?

Why then can i play the Beatles on Spotify?

Thanks,

G

7 Replies

• The green dot indicates that a playlist is collaborative - any subscriber to the list can make additions and deletions.
  • Playlist searching doeesn't work at the moment other than through Tunigo or Browse, if you have it.
  • You listen to the Beatles through Spotify because you own the tracks and synched them to your device. You can synch any local files in the same way after adding them to a playlist.

Thanks, Joe! That's helpful...

It seems, however, that there is still some sort of licensing issue with certain tracks?

I have a playlist, for example, with over 2,000 of my favorite songs. But no matter how I try, some tracks remain "grey" in the playlist.

(This is on an iPhone 4 and now 5S using Premium, by the way.)

It seems like certain songs are not permitted to be downloaded or played at all on my playlist.

I also found when I switch off "hide unplayable tracks" in my settings they are not shown at all, rather than just grey.

Does this ring a bell at all? I will do a bit more research on my end...

Thanks again.

If the tracks play on your PC then you have them there as local files (MP3s or whatever). If they were also greyed out on the PC then they aren't available on Spotify and you don't have them as local files. The FAQ explains about missing music on Spotify.

If you have local files on your PC which aren't available through spotify, you can still listen to them on your iphone after synching them.

Missing music from notable artists on Spotify includes The Beatles, Led Zeppelin and others at the moment.

Thanks, Joe, but what is happenening seems to be defying what you're saying.

I've taken some pics to show better what I mean.

The first pic is the track (in this case, Let's Dance by Chris Montez) playing fine on my Mac Laptop:

The second image shows the track in my spotify playlist on my iPhone. You'll note that like some other tracks around it, it's grey.

The third image shows what happens when I try to play Let's Dance  (or indeed any of these "grey" tracks) on the iPhone.

it seems I have over 50 tracks on this playlist (which has around 2700 tracks total) that are "greyed" and not playing.

I have downloaded the entire playlist (I'm premium, obviously) but these 50 or so refuse to download.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

MG

photo 1.JPG
photo 3.PNG
photo 2.PNG

@Jeezy999 - Would you be able to post a link to the playlist you are having this issue on? (Right click on the playlist name in the desktop client > Copy Spotify URI > Paste here).

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Sorry for slow response, Peter! Took me a sec to figure out how to copy URL...

Here it is:

Spotify Hits!

Thanks!

MG

Strange, not really sure what is going on here, although 3/4 of those tracks you can't play in your playlist are from the same album:

Various Artists – Greatest Pop Songs Top 100 Best Ever (which is unavailable to me).

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Suggested posts