Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How Do I Influence Recommended for You Playlist in Spotify Running?

How Do I Influence Recommended for You Playlist in Spotify Running?

It seems to play the same playlist over and over and over and it never changes. How can I influence what goes into this playlist so that it will change?

7 Replies

Hello TalPrince! As I recall, the "Recommended for You" playlist was generated around New Years based off of the music you had been listening to that past year. As far as I am aware, there is no way to have that playlist update at this point. That said, if you are interested in something similar, the "Discover" section on the desktop app is similar, and recomends new music for your to listen to, based off of what you've recently been listening to. You can access this area by launching the desktop app, and on the main nav bar on the left side, go to "Browse," and then you will see a "Discover" button in the middle right of the page.

Hope this helps, and please let me know if there's anything else you need!

Thanks for taking the time to respond! Just for clarity, I'm talking about the "Recommended for You" section inside the running app. If you're right about the algorythm of it, I'm astounded. It seems to have snagged the binge listening to B.B. King shortly after his death, and then it plays the same 4-5 B.B. King cuts, then the same few cuts of other artists for EVERY SINGLE RUN. Would LOVE for this feature to be more fluid and to change up the songs it throws into the mix. The recommended for you section within the regular section seems to change like that for me - so I'm unsure as to what is happening. Oh well, maybe I'm asking too much at this point. :0)

Hi TalPrince, I completely over looked that part of your post, my apologies! xD 

Not having ever used the Running feature myself, I cannot say for certain. Having looked over it, I believe it's similar to the other running playlists where it'll pull songs based off of the tempo you are currently running at, and I don't know if there's a particular way of influencing what music comes up, other than running slower/faster. I'll do a little digging, and if I manage to come up with anything I'll let you know.

Again, sorry about the misunderstanding! 

I've had the same problem with the Recommended for You playlist in the Running section - the first couple of times, I thought it was fantastic, but now it's just playing the same songs over and over - sometimes even in the same order. Very frustrating since there's such a huge library for Spotify to choose from.

I am having the same problem with The Rolling Stones. We went to a Rolling Stones concert a few months ago as my brother-in-law had tickets. Great concert but it's not what I want to listen to when running and is not what I usually listen to anyway - not my favorite genre at all. Running Recommended For You plays Rolling Stones and similar genre song after song. I skip past them to try to 'train' the playlist but it hasn't made a difference so far (after maybe 3 or 4 runs).

I am having the same issue as everyone else on this thread - I love the running feature but the recommended for you playlist is almost always the same songs in nearly the same order. My daily listening doesn't seem to affect it, neither does 'skipping to train' as someone else on here mentioned. I think the algorithm might go off of 'saved music' or 'liked from radio', I suppose I'll try to adjust those and see if it makes a difference but it does kind of defeat the purpose of spotify pulling off of what I'm listening too even if I'm not adding those songs to my own playlist. 

I've been mostly happy with the playlist, but it's getting very old and I'm tired of listening to the same songs every day. The other day I was feeling nostalgic and listened to a band I haven't listened to in years. I played the album once through. It's definitely not running music. Now my recommended playlist is plagued with that artist and songs that I don't even like. It's ruined my playlist.

Suggested posts