Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How do I get rid of all that blue storage taken up? I reallly don’t want to get ride of my playlists

How do I get rid of all that blue storage taken up? I reallly don’t want to get ride of my playlists

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

iPhone 6

Operating System

iOS

My Question or Issue

I'm worried that soon I'll have to stop adding to my hundreds of playlists, which are super important to me, or that something else less then ideal will happen. What do I do? I already deleted my cache and it didn't do much. -Sky

0F22A027-8DB8-4FAA-BA6D-B571BEFC9823.png
20 Replies

Hey @Sky16, welcome to the Community.

Hope you're doing great!

That blue bar represents everything that's not Spotify or data downloaded from Spotify. That includes the apps you've installed, photos, videos, iOS itself etc.

You can also learn more here about the Storage section in Spotify.

Hope it helps 🙂

Thank you! So to make it smaller I delete other apps etc?

Hey @Sky16,

Yes that's what will clear that up, inluding photos & videos, documents and such that you no longer need 🙂

Thank you for explaining what that means, but how do I delete the storage from other apps? For me its more than half my storage in spotify and I feel it is unnecessary. I want to free up storage and cannot figure out how to delete this usage.

Hey @sportifyuser52,

Thanks posting here in the Community! We'll gladly help you out.

Just to make sure that we're on the same page - the blue bar represents storage taken up by other apps, not Spotify and your downloads.

On most devices you can remove apps by touching and holding the app and then taping on uninstall/delete. If you're having trouble with this, you should check out the support sites of the Operating System you have installed. As @Loxer mentioned you can also free up space by removing photos, videos and documents you no longer need.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted if you have any questions.

Have a nice day!

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hello! 

I would contact the third party app but I have removed their access and can no longer see their names. What can I do? They’re still taking up a lot of space (33GB) for me. 

thank u! 

Hey there @gematorrevieja1

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community. 

As @Mihail mentioned, we'd recommend checking out the support sites of the Operating System you have installed for more info on how to delete or uninstall apps on your device, as we don't have info to share regarding third party apps.

In case you encounter any issue with the Spotify app, just give us a bit more info and we'll be happy to assist further. 

Cheers.

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Hi there

i'm having a similar problem with my s 10e  but when i check the storage in app settings it shows spotify using 85.26gb in internal storage, not other apps, even though ive only got 14.4 gb downloaded in spotify. I do download alot of podcasts for offline playback but i remove them from downloads after listening. have they been accumulating in some hidden folder somwhere?

i have tried a re-install but it didn't help and i have limited data so i don't want to keep re-downloading my music library testing.

thx

Hi @hotshot983,

Thanks for reaching out about this and welcome to the Community!

Could you send over the exact make and model of your device, the current OS version you're on as well as the Spotify version you're using? It would also be helpful if you could provide screenshots of the storage information displayed in your settings, so we can see what's what.

Note: Keep in mind that the blue bar represents everything that's not Spotify or data downloaded from Spotify. That includes the apps you've installed, photos, videos, the OS itself etc.

If you are interested to learn more, you can also take a look at this article about the app's storage settings and how you can effectively manage them. 

Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on.

XeniaModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

hi xenia

my phone is a samsung galaxy s10e

model: sm-g970f

one ui version : 1.1

android version: 9

spotify version: 8.6.68.1225

I hear what your saying about the blue bar representing other data but i transferred all photos/video to my pc and it only accounted for a couple of gig. and the only app that shows large data usage is spotify app. I don't have that many apps installed anyway, the main apps i use downloads for would be youtube, spotify and audible.

thx for helping

Screenshot_20211010-135703_Spotify.jpg
Screenshot_20211010-135447_Settings.jpg

Hey @hotshot983,

Thanks for the info 🙂

In this case we'd suggest you give these steps so you can clear the data and reinstall the app. The clean reinstall is more thorough than the usual one.

After you've uninstalled the app, you can open the Internal Storage > Android > Data with the File Browser, search for com.spotify.music and delete it. Then you can reinstall the app again and check the data usage.

Keep in mind that after that you'll need to download the content again if you want to listen to music in offline mode.

Let us know how it goes.

Ver Moderator

how can I remove the blue storage without having to delete my other apps because those are all very important apps.

Hey @user-removed,

Thanks for the post.

Following the steps from Ver's post will only uninstall Spotify and the app's cache files (downloaded songs), so none of your other apps will be deleted.

Keep us posted on how you get on 🙂

AlexModerator

Hi thanks I have already tried that but majority of my storage is still filled by the other apps so is there a way that I can remove that part entirely from my storage without having to delete anything in my phone bacuse I would like to download music without having to worry about space running out.

thanks for the reply

I did end up doing this and had to live with re-downloading all my music. It did remove all the phantom storage used up by spotify. however can i make a suggestion for a future update. For podcasts specifically, an option to automatically remove played podcasts after 30 days. I think it's rare for people to re-listen to podcasts and manually removing each podcast is kinda clunky.

Hi folks,

Thank you for your replies.

@user-removed Since the blue bar represents external apps, stored files (photos, videos, docs), the operating system and everything besides Spotify, we suggest you run a cache clearing app on your phone, move stored files to another device or consider using an SD card so you can free up space. 

@hotshot983 There's a live Idea that suggests a feature to auto delete played podcast episodes, you can go here to add your Vote+. It’s also worth knowing that the higher the number of votes an idea gets, the more likely it is for the idea to be implemented. 

Let us know if you have any other questions.

MafeGModerator

Hi Ver 

I am having the same as hotshot983 except I have an iPhone 7 Plus. How do I do a clean reinstall for iOS? All the articles direct back to the reinstall (which I’ve done) and then states if that doesn’t work do a clean reinstall with no instructions. Below is a shot of what my Spotify storage looks like after a basic reinstall. The user you helped previously said that the clean reinstall removed the phantom storage so I’m hoping the same for me! Thanks for your help 🙏🏻 

D34F585F-6B04-4966-8A8E-0AB291904600.png

2F9B9752-7DB4-4150-A013-48477BD39AA8.png

Hey @CMF001

Thanks for getting in touch about this here in the Community. 

You can find the correct steps to reinstall the app here

If this doesn't do the trick, could you let us know if you've tried following the steps @MafeG sent previously?

Keep us posted.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hi Eni

As I mentioned in my reply I am looking for the steps for a clean reinstall for iOS as specified by @Ver- I've already done the basic reinstall at the link. That's the issue I'm encountering, multiple users in this thread are referring to a clean reinstall which seems to have worked for @hotshot983 for an android device. 

If you know the steps please let me know. 

C

Suggested posts