Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How do I turn off Spotify Connect?!

How do I turn off Spotify Connect?!

How the hell do I turn it off? It's driving me mad. Living in a city where you have people using Spotify, my iPhone and Mac will regularly automatically connect to other devices. How is it not limited to being on the same wifi network? This is by far one of the dumbest implementations I've seen so far and apparently there's no solution to it. 

Play here?! Continue?! How about I don't give a ****! 

Using offline mode will only prompt you to turn off airplane mode, so you'll never get the rid of that retarded notification. 

Ally's
40 Replies

Currently there is no way to turn it off.

Kudo this idea:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Make-Spotify-Connect-a-choice/idi-p/729015

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Apart from the community members here who are trying their best to help, are there people here on these forums working at Spotify who actually visit these forums? Or are they all genuinly incompetent that they can't even provide an answer? Not only is your customer service **bleep**ing atrocious, but now I need answers. 

My phone or Mac keeps getting connected to several other people running Spotify on their Macs or iPhones, where I'll get the good ol' retarded question if I want to continue playing "here" or whatever device they're running it on. Lately it's gotten worse at home where others now for some reason keep getting connected to my mac or iPhone. I thought Spotify Connect was limited to people using the same Wifi, but apparently that's not even the case.

Lately I've had this user/neighbor interfering my playlists with his own and I don't understand the logic behind it at all. Now you might wonder how he's any different than the rest of the cases. Well today I noticed that his Android phone had somehow taken a place amongst my "offline devices". How the **bleep** is that even possible? I hardly expect a middle aged man in his thirties finding out my password somehow (which is far away from "qwerty1235") to add his own device as an offline device. 

No, something must be so fundamentally broken with Spotify Connect which somehow made this happen, letting his account or whatever bypass this, cause I'm fairly sure he's a premium subscriber himself. I will bump this goddamn thread until this gets thorougly noticed or tech-support help, cause this can't be something everyone is experiencing. 

Ally's

Bump.
Ally's

Hi,

Not had any such problems myself, so it does sound like  something's  broken for you.

I'm pretty sure it's only  meant to connect to devices which are signed in to Spotify using your credentials.  

Therefore, it may be worth changing your password - log in to www.spotify.com via a web broswer, and click on the "account" tab to change your password, and then for good measure choose "Sign out everywhere".

Already done that, but this has nothing to do with that. My phone keeps connecting to everyone, or they to me. 

Ally's

OK. This should not be happening unless other devices are logged in with your credentials, or someone else has access to your account. It's certainly not the way Spotify connect is designed!

I know, I've never encountered anything like it. I had a pretty secure password before which isn't really anything you can simply figure it, despite that I changed it. No, for some reason I keep connecting to people everywhere and I don't understand the reason behind it at all. 

Ally's

Have you resolved this issue for your phone? This has been happening to me frequently and it is driving me absolutely bonkers! 

I'm having the same problem where a device with absolutely no connection shows up in my connect pop up and where the user suddenly starts using my account. I have to manually take control again by changing back to my current device. I've changed all passwords connected (FB etc) and kicked out all users. And made a report to Spotify. It must be some kind of bug.

I'm about to cancel Spotify service altogether. I keep getting other people's play lists, and they take over my mobile.

Hi @microglyphics, have you tried changing your passwords to see if that resolves the issue?

I am uninstalling spotify from my phone until this is fixed. I do not want it to connect to my devices unless I tell it to. I also listen to undisclosed only phone or want to listen to streaming radio. Spotify disconnect just makes this more of a hassle.

It drives me mad when my daughter and our two teen foster daughters (who don't have access to my password) can stop Spotify playing through chromecast! Two of them don't even have Spotify apps on their phones! This needs addressing pronto!
Other than that Spotify is the best thing since sliced bread.

Hey @pedersen252-gb, that's an issue with Chromecast itself, not Spotify. Any apps that support Chromecast can kick off the existing app that is using Chromecast.

I have this Issue aswel. 

My spotify AUTOMATICALLY, thinks it should switch to a random persons Echo. 

And then I have to move it back. 

Fire whomever made this. 

Hi @jajanssen this sounds like someone has obtained access to your account. I would suggest changing your password and selecting the option to log out of all your devices.

Already did that

@jajanssen do you see Amazon or the Echo listed here? https://www.spotify.com/account/apps/

This is ridiculous. I'm at work, and Spotify will randomly decide to switch from my Mac (with headphones plugged in), to my Android device. There's no way to stop this unless I force quit Spotify on my Android, which I don't want to do every time. Are there any plans to allow users to disable this functionality?

Suggested posts