Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How do I turn off Spotify Connect?!

How do I turn off Spotify Connect?!

How the hell do I turn it off? It's driving me mad. Living in a city where you have people using Spotify, my iPhone and Mac will regularly automatically connect to other devices. How is it not limited to being on the same wifi network? This is by far one of the dumbest implementations I've seen so far and apparently there's no solution to it. 

Play here?! Continue?! How about I don't give a ****! 

Using offline mode will only prompt you to turn off airplane mode, so you'll never get the rid of that retarded notification. 

Ally's
40 Replies

I am also having issues with Spotify connect. When out running, my device will suddenly start playing music from somebody else's playlist and it will say "listening on...." At home, I use my phone and a Bluetooth speaker to listen to Spotify. It will suddenly go silent, and when i look at my phone it will say "listening on MH...." - so I'm assuming somebody suddenly gets my unwanted music. I have to change back to "listening on this phone" (normally it would say "listening on JBL Flip" for it to play back through my speakers again. Sometimes I have to do this repeatedly. Sometimes it will randomly play other people's music, too. I'm not good with technology, so I don't really know how to fix it, but it's so annoying!!

Hi @amyjgarland, this means somebody has access to your account. My suggestion is to log onto https://spotify.com/account, click "Sign out everywhere" in the bottom right hand corner, then go to https://www.spotify.com/account/change-password/ to change your password.

Let us know if you have any further questions!

My mac suddenly switches to my phone playing loud at work... fix this please.

Hi

it seems that this problem is deep in the sistem because its past two f%%ing years since people reporting this problem, and happend to me as well. how can they not find a solution!! yes you sing out and all that, but its obviusly keep happening, someone need to report this as main problem in the app/program

Not only is it driving me nuts by pausing the music I am listening to by FORCING me to switch devices, it is also FORCING me to listen to other random music!!

So far offline mode is the only way to stop this from happening on my phone, and I have to manually put the app in offline mode Every. Single. Time. I open up Spotify on my phone. The app on PC does not have an offline mode that I can find. 

This happened to me this morning on my drive in. I was suddenly listening in some guys iPhone. Then he was controlling my device. We had a war trying to regain control. No one else is on my account. This is infuriating. And no... changing my password doesn't fix it! 

This happened me as well, some arsehole called A Adem hijacked my Spotify account on his ps4, I did all I was told, sign out everywhere, change all passwords etc but the following morning there he was, constantly switching to his device to listen to his crappy French R&B and adding a load of artists to my library. So under instruction from the Spotify help desk I had to create a new account, all my playlists and followers were moved over but I lost all my artists I was following. I only opened my new account and it automatically connected to my Google Cast without asking. Is it too much to ask for a very simple "Do you wish to connect? Yes/No" or a "Block Device?" popup for the Spotify app. Huge flaw in an otherwise great program..... and don't be THAT person suggesting changing my password because I'd prefer not to lose my temper here...... AND don't even get me started on trying to switch my old premium account to the new one on Vodafone because it's IMPOSSIBLE!!!

The PROBLEM is SPOTIFY CONNECT, do you have open WIFI or anyone in your Area playing suddenly on your Speaker? This happened to me, because i had friends playing music from their accounts on my speakers via WIFI connection and now they can controll the **bleep**ING SYSTEM! It automatically changes my ANDROID TV Spotify App to their account, i cant do **bleep** about it, just switch it back, but then they just hit play again with 100% volume. 

To the person with the car audio hijacked, this must be the case for you as well. Maybe you were in a traffic jam?

I am considering deleting the app and cancelling my premium account. THIS IS MADNESS! A HUGE SECURITY RISK! **bleep** THIS **bleep**! I am very pissed as you can see.

still no update on this ? 

i have not encouter the bug reported by other peoples here ( random play on random device ) BUT i share my account on 2 pc ( one at home and one at work like many peoples i guess ) , and a ***** hate the fact that when i'm coming home and a hit play on my keyboard its **** play at work and i have to manually switch device in spotify connect , i'm at home and i pressed the keyboard physically  so why the **** the music is playing at my work ? and its the same every morning when i arrived at work, i hit play on my bluetooth headset wich is always on and connected to my pc and the music play at my home and again i have to manually switch device ...

its ***** stupid

My problem is that I am listening to Spotify on my PC and my Samsung S7 android phone will fight for control.  I get pause-play-pause-pause-play-pause-pause-play-pause-pause-play-pause on both devices until I go mad.  Sometimes it will work for awhile until a notification sound comes up (not sure which device) and then the problem starts.  If I set Spotify on the android phone in "offline mode" then the PC works just fine.  It's 2017 and frustrating to see so many complaints about Spotify Connect and no settings option to turn it off.

For whatever reason, connect doesn't only work on wifi. It works on ALL devices connected to your account.

In my testing, using spotify desktop, rabbit (pulled up spotify web), an LG G5, and a friend's iphone.

From Desktop, I could control Web (neither connected to same network), and from the friend's iphone, she could control what was on my computer from a different state (I did give her my credentials). Note that the devices listed all can control this, but this was some examples of what I have experienced.

Hey, I did change my password 3 times with log off on all devices and still isn't fixed... 

Same here, please fix this Spotify!

Spotify Connect through Chrome keeps on playing crappy music..which is very annoying and is messing up my Daily Mixes etc!

Ok so i have an issue whenever i listen to my spotify on anywhere other than my phone and it connects so some random a$$ ps4 near me and he is DELETING ALL OF MY FAVOURITE SONGS AND ADDING HIS THROWBACK 60’s MUSIC SOMEBODY HELP PLEASE THAT WONT RESULT IN ME GETTING A NEW ACCT THEREFORE LOSING ALL MY MUSIC

So, it is now 2018, and I am still unable to turn off this unwanted feature. I would be fine if it only connected when I asked it. But the fact that devices can fight over what song is playing is complete BS. I have been using spotify for many, many years. And this "feature" is making me want to cancel my premium account.

I did delete my premium and the app. Now using Deezer. 

Looks like I’ll have to do the same. This is driving me nuts

2018, can u guys resolve this **bleep**ing issue! 

TURN IT OFF!!!

I hate it.

My phone starts playing music at the office when I'm in the car, or at home when I'm actually at work.

Hint: The device I press PLAY on is the device I want to PLAY my music.

Who thought up this idiotic feature? And it's non-optional since 2015??

What is wrong with you? Just look how many people DONT WANT IT!

FFS, seriously re-thinking my subscription. Apple music probably does it better.

well its 2018 , its time to switch to youtube music, bigger library and no shitty "feature" like this one

Suggested posts