Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How to Access Music Offline Without Downloading

How to Access Music Offline Without Downloading

Hi community! I'm not finding anything about accessing music without downloading when offline. I have plenty of data and hardly ever listen to music without wifi anyway so if I don't have wifi, it's ok to use some data for me. How come I can't access any music unless I have wifi? I don't have space for downloading too so ideally I don't have to do that. 

Thanks

3 Replies

"Offline Mode" is only meant for you to listen to downloaded music, which you can afterwards listen to without using cellular data. However, it WILL take some storage space to download any music.

Spotify will only work if you either:
1. Stream Online with Wifi, or have Cellular Data enabled (such as a phone's data plan).
2. You have the music downloaded, which will be shown by a green arrow.

If your device is set to "offline", you should change that under "Settings" (the gear icon), and "Playback." This will let you stream music without downloading it, but you will need Wifi or cellular data.

I hope this was clear and informative! 🙂

The was not clear as I have no gear icon. I have a premium. Not being able to play music unless it is downloaded is something new. It was never that way before.

Hey @whocansing

Thanks for posting - we’re here to help!        

If you can't see the gear icon for the app Settings and you can't play any content unless it's downloaded for offline listening you might need to log out from all devices and then log back in. Occasionally this is necessary to force a sync of info between your device and our account system. 

In case you still experience this after logging out, try a clean reinstall of the Spotify app on your device. This will clean up corrupted data from previous installations that could be causing the issue. 

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes. 

Suggested posts