Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How to play tracks randomly?

How to play tracks randomly?

I want to play tracks from Spotify totallly randomly? How do I do that? I use iPhone and iPad.
31 Replies

I really don't see why this has to be so hard for Spotify to implement.  Can't you do it server side?  If you're worried about database performance run something like this every hour (I have no idea what you're really storing these lists in):

INSERT INTO [GlobalRandomTracks]

SELECT TOP 5000 FROM AllSpotifySongs ORDER BY RandomNumber;

Then clients can just query that GlobalRandomTracks list to play truly random songs?

ThANKS….I have this figured out now 🙂

How about just randomize all 2015 songs?

That makes sense. What I've been trying to understand. When I first set up an account and typed in the first song, it started playing simular songs. Since I typed another song, and ever since, it will start playing the entire album in which the track came from. I cannot get it to return to playing simular tracks based on the ones I have saved or have played before. For me this would be the best way to be introduced to new music, which is what I really need. Any ideas?

Look I think we can pretty much give up about this. It’s been years that spotify has known about this and nothing has change. I’ve long since changed to rDio which is a little bit better. it will also keep playing the same **bleep** over and over but the variety of that **bleep** is about 3 times as wide. So whereas Spotify „based on“ playlists feature a mere 20-30 songs, rDio is more close to 100. But still. You play music from a certain genre and spotify and rdio will make you believe that this genre contains of only 30-100 songs. it is ridiculous. Such a waste of potential. But, most people are idiots, they don’t care, don’t notice or even WANT to hear the same music over and over.

This does exactly what you need.

http://www.karnhuset.net/demos/spotify/randomSong/

thanks but that doesn't exactly work while I'm driving a car and just want to hear one unknown possible pearl after another.

Agreed, but I know of no other solution.

I would love to see somebody turn this webpage into a little phone app that will stream random song after random song.

Any takers?  🙂

Deezer seems to be able to manage it. A 'flow' is what they call it. Plays tracks you like mixed with suggestions...

I usually just make a playlist containing one song and then put on autoplay in settings. When the song I put in the playlist is over, spotify keeps on playing random songs that are somewhat comparable. It may not be totally random, but I like it

Hi Taylor, would have to disagree.

That's not the case.

It's pretty simple to have a data base in the cloud, assign a hidden number to each song, create a randomn number between 0 - 3 million or whatever, then upload this song to your spotify.

I'm not a comp scientist working within Spotify, but I don't think this is an incredibly difficult technical challenge. 

Even when you press shuffle on undownloaded songs, they get preloaded in order. This keeps you from having to wait for a new song to download each time press next. You don't need to upload every song ever and shuffle through them randomnly. 

Also, I don't believe the reason for such a MASTER Shuffle button has been adressed. Spotify has algorithims to present you with music you like and music that it thinks you will like. It kind of puts you in a music bubble. There is a lot of stuff out there that I'm sure I would like, not just to listen to but to discover and expand my musical horizons. Sure a lot of it you won't like, but some of it will be amazing. 

Pandora seems to manage it.

Suggested posts