Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Why can't I play this song?

Peter

Answer:

1. The song appears to be playing, but I can’t hear anything.

• Check your volume settings on your device and/or in the Spotify app if you're on desktop.
  • Check to see if the device you’re playing from isn’t streaming to another device via Connect or Bluetooth.
  • Perform a clean reinstall following the steps in this article, making sure to clear all Spotify app data.
  • Try switching to another network. If it works, then try resetting the original network.

2. The song is greyed out.

• If it’s a local file, try the troubleshooting steps in this support article.
  • If it’s a Spotify file, it might be that the song is not available in your region. To confirm this, you can ask a friend from your country who uses Spotify to see if it’s also greyed out for them.

3. The song/album does not appear anywhere in the artist’s profile.

• Music availability can vary over time and between countries, depending on the permissions from rights holders. We always add new music though, so make sure to check back at a later date.

4. I get one of the following errors:

"Spotify can't play this right now"/"Can't play the current song"

• Perform a clean reinstall following the steps in this support article, making sure to clear all Spotify app data.
  • Try switching to another network. If it works, then try resetting the original network.

"We can't play this song until you allow this artist in the Spotify phone app"

• This means that you have probably tapped on “I don’t like this song/artist” at some point on your iOS device. To fix this, just do the following:

- For artists:

1. Search for the affected artist's page on the Spotify app on your iOS device and go to their artist page.
  2. You should see a 🚫 symbol where there is usually a Follow button in the top-right corner near the artist’s name. Tapping the symbol should unblock the artist.
  3. Restart the Spotify app on your desktop. You should now be able to play songs from this artist.

- For songs:

1. On your iOS device, go to Playlists and scroll to the bottom. 
  2. You should see a Hidden Songs playlist with a list of ‘banned’ songs.
  3. Tap on the 🚫 symbol to unban the song.

Didn't help? Search for more Spotify Answers, or create a new thread and ask the Community.