Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

IPod Touch 3rd Generation no longer connects to Spotify?

Solved!

IPod Touch 3rd Generation no longer connects to Spotify?

Plan

Premium

Country

UK

Device

iPod Touch 3rd Generation

Operating System

iOS 5.1.1

My Question or Issue

I used to be able to connect to Spotify from my old iPod Touch 3rd Generation but not any more. According to a chat I had online with Spotify, this is correct.

I can access downloaded media but cannot Search, Browse, etc.

Can any community members confirm this, as it seems strange that Spotify would actively "break" the functionality for older devices? thanks

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @wheezilsarego,

Thanks for reaching out.

If you're having troubles using Spotify on your device, you'll also need to make sure that particular device meets Spotify's current minimum system requirements.

Unfortunately, if your device doesn't meet the minimum requirements, it won't be possible to use Spotify and access Spotify content through the Spotify app or troubleshoot it properly.

You can always check the current minimum system requirements here.

Hope this clears things up 🙂

MaximSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @wheezilsarego,

Thanks for reaching out.

If you're having troubles using Spotify on your device, you'll also need to make sure that particular device meets Spotify's current minimum system requirements.

Unfortunately, if your device doesn't meet the minimum requirements, it won't be possible to use Spotify and access Spotify content through the Spotify app or troubleshoot it properly.

You can always check the current minimum system requirements here.

Hope this clears things up 🙂

MaximSpotify Star

Well yes I know Spotify doesn’t work *now* on my iPod Touch 3 but my point
is that it used to.

So have Spotify changed the *server-side* software so that it no long works
with the older *application-side* code? Seems a bit odd

Thanks

Things can definitely break in unsupported/older app versions, that's why it's always important to keep your apps up-to-date.

Since you're using a device that's no longer supported, there's, unfortunately, nothing that can be done to fix this.

MaximSpotify Star

This is just ridiculous. Spotify used to work quite well on older products. 

There are many iOS apps still supported on older devices provided by the App store. It's just that yes, the app may have lower functionalities and may look a bit more basic. But that is no reason to discontinue entirely to prevent using apps on older generation devices.

There are plenty of apps offered by Apple and other 3rd party app developers that still support and work quite well on older devices. By restricting access to apps after some time is unfair practice in my opinion. Also it is not a environmentally friendly option either, hindering to benefit from older devices (Reduce, Reuse and Recycle)

Suggested posts