Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Iphone 4S won't download playlists over wifi - works fine with 3G

Solved!

Iphone 4S won't download playlists over wifi - works fine with 3G

As the topic says, my IPhone 4S won't download playlists for offline use (I'm a premium subscriber) using the wifi conection. If I switch on "Sync over 2G/3G", the songs begin to download immediately. Also, I cannot get the phone to show up in the "Devices" section of the desktop app (tried both on Win7 and MacOS X), eventhough I have tried all the suggested solutions I could find on this community, including:

1. Putting the computer (PC or Mac) on the DMZ on my network (essentially bypassing the firewall)
  2. Disabling the firewall on both computers
  3. Creating a private network for both the IPhone and the computers

The computers (both Mac and PC) are on the same wifi network, and I have tried to login with the facebook integration as well as directly with my spotify username on both computers and on the iphone.

The weirdest thing is that downloading files over wifi works fine on my Ipad (1st generation) and on my work mobile phone (Windows phone) - just not on the IPhone. The Ipad will also appear immediately in the "Devices" section.

I am absolutely at a loss here - I have tried everything I can think of (I work as an IT professional, so I have tried some pretty strange solutions by now - all with no result).

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!

EDIT: It seems that the only way to get offline content on the IPhone is to play the songs one by one - this can't be right as a premium subscriber?

27 Replies

It sounds like some serious problems here that Spotify isn't resolving. Are users regularly left hanging? I'm a premium use, going to ask for help solving issues looking for the best site to ask.

This is a user community but you can always get direct support here @trodlightly . If you get an automated response directing you back to the community or to the help pages, please reply to it by email and you will hear back from one of the team shortly.

We can try some troubleshooting here, if you could give some details of your device, iOS and spotify versions and exactly what isn't working for you.

@trodlightly Like @Joe had mentioned, you can contact Spotify Support directly here:

https://www.spotify.com/about-us/contact/contact-spotify-support/?_ga=1.212590876.960391241.14041406...
Meet Jeremy! | Day Entrepreneur, Night, Music Fanatic
I'm here to shuffle!

• Write what matters in your heart to others, you never know whether you have another chance again.

Ooops.......I'm forgetting to add links. Thanks 🙂

@user-removed wrote:
Hi guys,

I hope a found a solution that works for all of you. Wifi problems got more and worse on my iphone 4s. It was not only Spotify having problems anymore. I'm pretty convinced the latest ios 7 update screwed things up. I restored my iphone several times but it never helped.

Then today I found on the internet that there's a 2nd and. Better way to restore your iphone and that is in DFU mode. My WIFI works fast and does not freeze anymore and it even solved the Spotify problem which I did not expect at all!

Here's how it works:

-Make a backup of your iphone in iTunes on your computer

-hold the power button and home button simultaneously and let the powerbutton go after exactly 10 seconds. KEEP HOLDING THE HOMEBUTTON!

-iTunes will see your phone. Your phonescreen will stay black. If not, you are not doing it right!

-restore your phone. It will also restore your firmware this way.

-after all this has succeeded you can connect again the normal way and put your backup back on.

I hope it works as well for you as it did for me!

Thank you D-Tonic!

I read other posts about this problem for hours. I had tried everything. Nothing worked.

Your solution worked perfectly. And it didn't delete any music I had downloaded via cellular.

I had tried putting my iphone 4s into DFU mode before but had done this by first powering off the iphone and then holding the buttons as you describe.

Possibly the answer is that you have to connect the iphone with a cable to the laptop, open iTunes and then - hold the power button and home button simultaneously and let the powerbutton go after exactly 10 seconds. KEEP HOLDING THE HOMEBUTTON! (as you wrote).

Then, while the iphone is still connected via cable and with iTunes still open, click the 'Restore iPhone' button. (Not the 'Restore Backup' button)

I hope your solution helps others.

Thanks again.

@rico555 wrote:

@user-removed wrote:
Hi guys,

I hope a found a solution that works for all of you. Wifi problems got more and worse on my iphone 4s. It was not only Spotify having problems anymore. I'm pretty convinced the latest ios 7 update screwed things up. I restored my iphone several times but it never helped.

Then today I found on the internet that there's a 2nd and. Better way to restore your iphone and that is in DFU mode. My WIFI works fast and does not freeze anymore and it even solved the Spotify problem which I did not expect at all!

Here's how it works:

-Make a backup of your iphone in iTunes on your computer

-hold the power button and home button simultaneously and let the powerbutton go after exactly 10 seconds. KEEP HOLDING THE HOMEBUTTON!

-iTunes will see your phone. Your phonescreen will stay black. If not, you are not doing it right!

-restore your phone. It will also restore your firmware this way.

-after all this has succeeded you can connect again the normal way and put your backup back on.

I hope it works as well for you as it did for me!

Thank you D-Tonic!

I read other posts about this problem for hours. I had tried everything. Nothing worked.

Your solution worked perfectly. And it didn't delete any music I had downloaded via cellular.

I had tried putting my iphone 4s into DFU mode before but had done this by first powering off the iphone and then holding the buttons as you describe.

Possibly the answer is that you have to connect the iphone with a cable to the laptop, open iTunes and then - hold the power button and home button simultaneously and let the powerbutton go after exactly 10 seconds. KEEP HOLDING THE HOMEBUTTON! (as you wrote).

Then, while the iphone is still connected via cable and with iTunes still open, click the 'Restore iPhone' button. (Not the 'Restore Backup' button)

I hope your solution helps others.

Thanks again.

I just want to add that when I put my iphone into DFU mode my firewall on my macbook pro osx 10.7.5 was disabled and I had disabled the SPI Firewall on my TP-Link router. Yes I know that is a dangerous thing to do.

About 6 minutes into restoring my iphone I stopped the download, enabled both firewalls and then restarted the iphone restore download.

The restore download started from the beginning!

Strangely, when I looked at the log file, using the osx console app, there were comments listed, when the second restore started, saying iTunes had already authenticated the restore.

So, possibly, when I restarted the restore download, after enabling both firewalls, iTunes had already made the connection or sync it needed to authenticate.

This may have just been a coincidence??

I was having this problem but i just deleted some of my unused apps and it is all gravy now.

this helped me with an iphone 6 (64GB) and iOS 8.4. You're a life saver!!!!!!!!!!

Suggested posts