Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Iphone 4S won't download playlists over wifi - works fine with 3G

Solved!

Iphone 4S won't download playlists over wifi - works fine with 3G

As the topic says, my IPhone 4S won't download playlists for offline use (I'm a premium subscriber) using the wifi conection. If I switch on "Sync over 2G/3G", the songs begin to download immediately. Also, I cannot get the phone to show up in the "Devices" section of the desktop app (tried both on Win7 and MacOS X), eventhough I have tried all the suggested solutions I could find on this community, including:

1. Putting the computer (PC or Mac) on the DMZ on my network (essentially bypassing the firewall)
  2. Disabling the firewall on both computers
  3. Creating a private network for both the IPhone and the computers

The computers (both Mac and PC) are on the same wifi network, and I have tried to login with the facebook integration as well as directly with my spotify username on both computers and on the iphone.

The weirdest thing is that downloading files over wifi works fine on my Ipad (1st generation) and on my work mobile phone (Windows phone) - just not on the IPhone. The Ipad will also appear immediately in the "Devices" section.

I am absolutely at a loss here - I have tried everything I can think of (I work as an IT professional, so I have tried some pretty strange solutions by now - all with no result).

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!

EDIT: It seems that the only way to get offline content on the IPhone is to play the songs one by one - this can't be right as a premium subscriber?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi guys,

I hope a found a solution that works for all of you. Wifi problems got more and worse on my iphone 4s. It was not only Spotify having problems anymore. I'm pretty convinced the latest ios 7 update screwed things up. I restored my iphone several times but it never helped.

Then today I found on the internet that there's a 2nd and. Better way to restore your iphone and that is in DFU mode. My WIFI works fast and does not freeze anymore and it even solved the Spotify problem which I did not expect at all!

Here's how it works:

-Make a backup of your iphone in iTunes on your computer

-hold the power button and home button simultaneously and let the powerbutton go after exactly 10 seconds. KEEP HOLDING THE HOMEBUTTON!

-iTunes will see your phone. Your phonescreen will stay black. If not, you are not doing it right!

-restore your phone. It will also restore your firmware this way.

-after all this has succeeded you can connect again the normal way and put your backup back on.

I hope it works as well for you as it did for me!

View solution in original post

27 Replies

Anyone?

Hello,

Very odd! I've not run into this before. I imagine you've tried reinstalling the application too?

Airhorn Enthusiast

Yes, I've tried reinstalling multiple times (both the app and the desktop client). I've also tried "downgrading" to the iOS 4 version of the app - still nothing.

Very strange behavior indeed, as the iPad app works just fine on the same network.

Sorry for bumping, but the problem is still present - so far the only option is to play the songs one by one.

Have no-one else experienced this behavior?

Hello,

It's certainly not something I've managed to replicate here... Tedious as this might sound, you might want to try logging into your account on a friend's computer and connecting to their wi-fi, see if your phone will appear under Devices there. 

Airhorn Enthusiast

I had this problem when I updated my Spotify on android. I'm running a Samsung Galaxy W, I tried downloading the entireity of my starred tracks:
I removed any that would previously have been skipped "This track is unavailable." log in on a desktop version to remove these, cancel the download and then start again. It keeps the previously downloaded tracks also it finishes quickly. Hope this helps.

I have the same freaking issue on my iphone 4s!!! I have to play one by one to get my songs to download!!! i have over 1000 songs that i can't listen to offline because they wont download. Im a premium user as well and this is some BS!!!!

That's the trouble with Apple they want you to use their stuff..
HELP IT IS IN GERMAN HELP MY SETTINGS ARE IN ENGLISH HELP!!!

I'm a premium user and I've got the exact same problem on my iphone 4S.
I used to be able to do download offline playlists . I think it went wrong with the last update.

Desperate for a solution here too!!!

Or will I be forced to switch to Deezer or something!?

@user-removed - What happens when you try and sync offline?

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

As I said I have the exact same problem. synching over wifi does not work, only over 3g.
And my iphone does not show in the devices section on my spotify on my macbook.

No problems with playing songs over wifi and when offline button is turned on in playlist a song is downloaded when I fully played it.

I have exactly the same problem. On my IPhone 4s, offline tracks does not sync over wifi. 3G works fine. And... after I play a song in a "offline playlist", the song is availiable offline.

Normally these issues are related to firewalls. Do your internet routers have built in firewalls at all?

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I've already checked that. No firewall active on my own router. And I tried several other wifi stes that I used previously.

It always worked on every wifi I tried. I'm convinced it's a software issue.

And downloading multiple songs without playing them first  or storing a song after it's played aren't really two different protocols.

So blaming the connection seems a bit far fetched to me.

I agree with D-Tonic....It has to be a software issue.  I've been experiencing the same issues with my iPhone 4s.  iOS & the spotify app are both completely up to date, I have over 4gb of free space on my phone, yet the playlists will not download for offline use over wifi (unless I play every single track on the list.)  If I flip the sync over 2g/3g button, the playlists immediately start to download.  I do not see how this could be an issue with firewalls on a router since I haven't made any changes to my router setup (& have also tried to download playlists on various other networks in different locations) & the older versions of the app used to download playlists no problem.  I've tried logging out & back in, restarting my phone, reinstalling the app, switching the sync music quality settings, etc, etc, with absolutely no luck.

Hi people. Just an update from the guy that startes this thread. I never got Spotify and my iPhone 4S to work correctly in terms of syncing playlists over wifi. I've recently upgraded to an iPhone 5S, which runs the sync without problems. No changes have been done to the network layout, routers, firewalls etc. The only difference is the iPhone hardware. I hope this information can be useful in tracking down what's causing this issue. It certainly seems to be related specifically to the iPhone 4S. I hope you guys find a solution 🙂

Same problem here: Playlists won't download over wifi on my iPhone 4s. One more data point: This phone used to be connected to the Verizon network.  Now the iPhone 4s is being used on wifi only (I have a new phone).  Back when the phone was connected to the Verizon network, I *ALWAYS* used Spotify over wifi, never had a problem with playists or anything else.  And back when it was a Verizon phone, I set up the 4s so Spotify could never access Verizon network, so I also used *ONLY* wifi. 

This problem started when the phone was disconnected from Verizon.  

And I can still access the Spotify network on my new iPhone 5, also connected to Verizon and also set up NEVER to use the Verizon data network for Spotify. 

Any thoughts? Weird.

I've got exactly the same problem. My iphone 4s works fine under 3G, but it doesn't using wifi.  I've tried everything that people recommends here but NOTHING WORKED. Reinstalling the app, reseting the phone, router config, changing the sync audio quality, casted some spells, etc....  I think I've got enough free space (5gb guess is enough) When I check my offline devices on the spotify website, my phone appears like if it was synced, but it doesn't appear on the devices tab of my local app (tried through wifi and cable). 

I've tried to get in touch with tech spotify guys for a response and still have no answer.... Its pretty disappointing

Marked as solution

Hi guys,

I hope a found a solution that works for all of you. Wifi problems got more and worse on my iphone 4s. It was not only Spotify having problems anymore. I'm pretty convinced the latest ios 7 update screwed things up. I restored my iphone several times but it never helped.

Then today I found on the internet that there's a 2nd and. Better way to restore your iphone and that is in DFU mode. My WIFI works fast and does not freeze anymore and it even solved the Spotify problem which I did not expect at all!

Here's how it works:

-Make a backup of your iphone in iTunes on your computer

-hold the power button and home button simultaneously and let the powerbutton go after exactly 10 seconds. KEEP HOLDING THE HOMEBUTTON!

-iTunes will see your phone. Your phonescreen will stay black. If not, you are not doing it right!

-restore your phone. It will also restore your firmware this way.

-after all this has succeeded you can connect again the normal way and put your backup back on.

I hope it works as well for you as it did for me!

Suggested posts