Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Iphone not showing up in devices/ Unable to sync local files

Solved!

Iphone not showing up in devices/ Unable to sync local files

I connected my mac and my iphone to the same wifi and still not gettiing my iphone to show in the "devices" in spotify app. I even tried to connect it through the USB cable and still the same problem. Also, my iphone was turned on all the time on the spotify app.

Another problem, I created a new playlist on the app in my mac and suprisingly it appeared also in my iphone app which is good news. However, I added 20 songs to the playlist from my local files and when I checked the playlist on my iphone, it showed that 19/20 are grey so I can't play these songs. Not sure why I was able to play only 1 of them.

I did a lot of research, but among the solutions were removing the firewall which is a windows solutuion where I am using mac, or open as admin which is a windows solution as well...

I would really really appreciate it if anyone has any solution other than the ones that have been posted.

Thanks,

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi @rsaade 

I'm moving your post to the iOS thread where others with similar issues will see it.

Firstly, do not use the USB connection when synching with spotify. It can actually cuase further issues. You need to use the steps in this FAQ to synch local files. Note that the spotify app needs to be running on your iphone for it to show up on the desktop client. If your phone still doesn't appear under "devices" in the desktop client after following those steps, something is preventing communication between the apps so could you please follow these steps to try and resolve the issue.

• Check that offline mode is off in the mobile spotify settings and that the phone show that it is connected to your wifi
  • Temporarily disable any security software you may be running on your mac
  • Make sure that UPNP is enabled on your router
  • Disable any firewall/security in your router settings
  • Restart your router and your iphone

If you still have issues, please post here.

The playlist of local files - they will be greyed out if they can't be matched to the spotify catalogue. If they are in the catalogue, the metadata on your local files isn't matching and you need to fix it or replace the tracks with spotify content or, once you get it working, synchronise the playlist to your iphone which will physycally place the music in the phone's cache.

Please let me know if you need more help.

View solution in original post

14 Replies
Marked as solution

Hi @rsaade 

I'm moving your post to the iOS thread where others with similar issues will see it.

Firstly, do not use the USB connection when synching with spotify. It can actually cuase further issues. You need to use the steps in this FAQ to synch local files. Note that the spotify app needs to be running on your iphone for it to show up on the desktop client. If your phone still doesn't appear under "devices" in the desktop client after following those steps, something is preventing communication between the apps so could you please follow these steps to try and resolve the issue.

• Check that offline mode is off in the mobile spotify settings and that the phone show that it is connected to your wifi
  • Temporarily disable any security software you may be running on your mac
  • Make sure that UPNP is enabled on your router
  • Disable any firewall/security in your router settings
  • Restart your router and your iphone

If you still have issues, please post here.

The playlist of local files - they will be greyed out if they can't be matched to the spotify catalogue. If they are in the catalogue, the metadata on your local files isn't matching and you need to fix it or replace the tracks with spotify content or, once you get it working, synchronise the playlist to your iphone which will physycally place the music in the phone's cache.

Please let me know if you need more help.

Hi Joe,

Thanks a lot for your feedback. It worked perfectly 🙂

Glad it worked. Enjoy your music 🙂

Following this video step-by-step solved the problem for me immediately.  Didn't even need to bother with the IP addresses - just had to open port 4070

Hi my second i phone is not showing in the divices.

I have tried everything.

(Updated the spotify app on the  iphone,Used the same network on my wifi at home.)

Als i have tried it without usb connection and with usb connection.

The  iphone is not showing up in the devices section.

HELP i don't  know what to do.

Gr Arjan 

Can you make sure all firewalls are disabled (or port 4070 is open as outlined above) and that your internet router has uPnP enabled?

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

so i had 3 mp3's that i downloaded onto my spotify desktop (windows 7) and i can play them all fine on there, but they are grey on my mobile (iphone). what can i do so i can play it on my mobile?

You need to synch them to your phone following the instructions in this FAQ.

its dolphin6 from before i just had to use a different user name, i did the preferences thing and it didn't work. The folder in which the mp3s were in were already checked off. they are downloaded onto my spotify desktop but not on my spotify mobile. Im fairly certain this has to do with the fact that i can't connect my iphone to my computer. Like when my computer and iphone are on the same wifi and stuff my iphone doesnt pop up under devices?

Can you just check that both your desktop and mobile are logged into the same account? Why iare you 66 now and no longer 6? (Just thinking there may be a connection here).

My iPhone is running iOS 7 and here are my current problems -

1. Some of my local file songs it won't save for offline use. It's hit or miss. Some are greyed out, and will not sync and some will immediately sync for offline use. It's strange. They are all located in my iTunes library and saved on my Mac.

2. On my spotify desktop I can't see my iPhone listed. They are both connected to the same wifi but I can't see my iPhone. I have done all the trouble shooting in other posts, logging in and out, resetting computers/phones and reinstalling software. I have tried plugging my phone right in to my computer to do it over a secure connection, as well making sure iTunes was not open but closed.

3. All of my SPotify listed songs are saving; but my bands that aren't spotity will not sync and mesh with those playlists for offline use and it is annoying.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance, Brian

Hi @bbradley2013 I moved your post to a related thread. Can you try the steps in my post here. Once the iphone shows under devices in the desktop client, you should be able to sync your music.

I found the solution for my Iphone 5S not connecting and I figured id try to help:

I went to the control panel, then clicked on Windows Firewall, after you get into the firewall window, at the very top left look for a sentence saying "allow a program or feature through Windows Firewall" ...Click that!! After you get to the next window it should have all your programs and features, scroll down to Spotify and make sure both public and private boxes are checked! It solved my problem!

Good Luck All!!
Chris

Thanks. After reinstalling new os my phone and pc nothing would sync. This fixed all my problems.

Suggested posts