Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Is a 4th gen iPod touch classified as a tablet or phone for the new Spotify free plan?

Solved!

Is a 4th gen iPod touch classified as a tablet or phone for the new Spotify free plan?

Hey,

I was wondering if an iPod Touch 4th gen was classfied as a tablet or phone for the new Spotify free expereince announced yesterday. I'm hoping it's a tablet, because it would be pretty awesome to get Spotify's entire catalog streaming free!

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

iPod touches and iPhones are considered to be "mobile phones" because they both run the iPhone version of the iOS app.

So therefore the iPod touch is not classified as a tablet.

Sorry... =(

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Marked as solution

iPod touches and iPhones are considered to be "mobile phones" because they both run the iPhone version of the iOS app.

So therefore the iPod touch is not classified as a tablet.

Sorry... =(

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

That's pretty stupid, considering that the iPod Touch has no 3g/4g/LTE data connection of any kind under any model. Any chance we could petition this to get it changed? It would be fairly simple to fix, just call for the device model upon logging into the app, and you're golden.

I did ask for clarification on this when the news broke, under the new licensing terms a "tablet" is a device which has a screen of 7 inches or more. So an iPod touch is still a "mobile" under the new rules. 

If you want to suggest a change, head over to the Ideas Exchange, but I wouldn't get your hopes up!

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Suggested posts