Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Unable to stream on Apple Watch

Hey folks,

We're receiving reports that users who previously had the option to stream on their Apple Watch are unable to do so. In a lot of the cases this seems to come up when the setup includes AirPods.

If you’re experiencing this issue, make sure to add your +VOTE and follow the instructions in the Status Update below.

We'll be keeping everyone up-to-speed here, so make sure to Subscribe to this thread. 

Thanks! 

Hello everyone,

We've been passing on your details to our developers and they have already rolled out several improvements to fix the experience reported. 

While the number of new reports seems to have dropped significantly since updates to both the Spotify app and watchOS in the last couple of months, we are aware that some users do still experience issues streaming directly from their Apple Watch, but our tech teams weren't able to reproduce it and this seems to be affecting specific devices or setups, so we're unable to find a solution remotely.

A common solution that we see has been reported working is to do a factory reset on the Apple Watch and add it back as a new watch vs. restoring a backup.

Also, keep in mind that the built-in speaker in the watch cannot be used for music playback by Spotify and you’ll need to have headphones connected to the watch via Bluetooth.

We hope this helps. If you still need a hand, you can start a new topic in the relevant help board, including all the steps you've tried so far and the outcome, and we'll take it from there.

Comments
Micky1892

Hi
Purchased a new pair of Apple Airpods for the purpose of listening to music from my cellular Apple Watch Series 3. It's my understanding this feature has recently been rolled out by Spotify.

I have downloaded the Spotify app on my watch and the the Airpods are showing as connected, however, I can't get them to work.

Basically, when I click on 'Michael's Apple Watch', it goes back to the play screen and the white watch icon flashes a couple of times them defaults back to the green iPhone icon. I've tried deleting the app and reinstalling and disconnecting the Airpods and reconnecting.

Has anyone had any similar issues and know how to fix it please. This is becoming incredibly frustrating! 

Plan

Premium

Country
UK

Device

Apple Watch, Airpods (2nd Gen) and iPhone XR

Operating System

iOS 14.2

1.jpg
Ver

Hey @Micky1892,

Thanks for reaching out to us and welcome to the Community 🙂

Just to double check- does the issue occur when you try playing music through the watch in Connect mode? If it does, it's important that the devices are on the same network connection.

It's also a good idea to check if the AirPods are connected to the intended device.

Keep us in the loop! If you have questions, you know where to find us.

Micky1892

Good morning Ver

I have just re-installed the Spotify app onto my watch, after deleting it on Friday, and upon connecting my Airpods again, it seems to be working perfectly now.

If I have any further issues, I'll let you know.

Thanks for the response, it's appreciated 🙂

Ver

Hey @Micky1892,

Thanks for getting back to us 🙂

Glad it hear it worked out and you can enjoy your favorite jams.

If you have questions, don't hesitate to reach out to us. We'll be happy to help.

Stay safe!

buamwrxman

iPhone XR 

iOS 14.3

Apple Watch SE with Cellular

v7.2

Spotify version 8.5.93.494

I have been unable to connect my AirPod Pro’s directly through the Spotify app with listen to Spotify without my iPhone.  I know this is a feature that Spotify recently added.  

I have tried doing a clean uninstall and reinstall of Spotify, restarted both devices, reset my Apple Watch and even unpaired and repaired my AirPods. My watch is always connected to either WiFi or cellular. 

My watch streams Pandora and iHeart radio just fine without my iPhone but won’t even show my Apple Watch as another device within the app on my watch.  So frustrated.  I was considering a Spotify subscription but can’t justify it without this functionality.  

any help would be appreciated.  Thank you. 

Mychey
  • Hi, 

I recently bought an Apple watch SE cellular model with the intention of having Spotify on the go without my iphone however when I disconnect my iphone, the watch and the airpods dont pop up on the app. I therefore can’t play music when using my mobile data. 
I contacted apple that told me I must contact Spotify. I’ve also deleted the app both on my phone and on the watch and I have reset the whole watch twice... still no change. 
The airpods connect to watch itself just not Spotify. I can only listen when my iphone is connected.

Please help me. 

Jeremy

Hey there @Mychey,

Thank you for your post here in the Community. We're happy to help.

We suggest that you head over to this thread and try the solution that's provided in there.

Let us know how everything went so that we can continue to assist you if you need us to. We're always one reply away 🙂

Take care!

bash54

I am having the same issue and removing the Spotify app from the Apple Watch and reinstalling didn't help. I'm trying to select my Airpods pro as the listening source from the Apple Watch (series 6 w/cellular) within the Spotify app and it just continuously flashes and will not connect. If I select my iPhone as the source, with the Airpods connected to the iPhone, then it works. But my goal is to leave my iPhone behind and stream music from the Apple Watch Spotify app directly to my connected Airpods. Is this not possible?

CarlosE

Hey there @bash54,

Thanks for posting on this thread.

Can you try unpairing and pairing again your AirPods to your iPhone and watch? When using your AirPods to listen from your watch through Spotify's Connect, make sure that both devices are on the same network.

If it still doesn't work, can you let us know if that only happens with Spotify or if you can use your AirPods connected to your watch for any other apps?

Keep us posted. We'll be on the lookout.

beefqueen

Plan

Premium

Country

UK

Device

iPhone 12 Mini/Apple Watch 5 GPS & LTE

Operating System

iOS 14.4.1/WatchOS 7.3.3

My Question or Issue

Streaming will not work on Spotify. Spotify app on watch will work only when on WiFi/otherwise connected to phone. I can control playback on phone and other local devices (Sky Q box/speakers). I do not have an option to play to my AirPods. My watch does not show up in my Device List in the settings menu on the iPhone app. 

No issues with streaming from Apple Music/Apple Podcasts/Overcast.