Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Kenwood kdc-x302

Kenwood kdc-x302

So whenever I connect my phone to my kdx-x302 deck it locks my phone out of the app, and won’t let me control anything. I know they’ve got that “navigate on the deck” option but it’s way to difficult to do. All I get is the Spotify logo and then have to disconnect from my truck in order to pick the next song is there anyway I can get this fixed?

image.jpg
13 Replies

Same issue. I tried messing with the remote app main menu setting but it doesn’t really work? Sometimes it says connecting on the screen and it will let me use my phone to control, but most of the time it will fully connect and then I can’t use my phone controls at all. Need to figure this one out for sure.

So, nothing? I just got a Kenwood X-502 and Spotify does the same thing. It fades the app and all control out to a black screen with the Spotify logo in the middle. I can control from my iPhone’s lock screen, but no control from the actual Spotify app. Pure stupidity! My older Pioneer deck worked just fine over USB and did NOT lock you out of the phone app when playing through an input (I always utilize my USB lightning output / input for best sound).

I have tried using Bluetooth AND the built-in Spotify app features but still the same problem. I have to fully stop the app and switch inputs back and forth so the phone app stops playing and I can use the app again to change songs, but once the music starts playing again, the lockout resumes and I’m forced to navigate through Spotify via my headunit with a small two-line text display. CLUNKY AND NOT SAFE TO USE WHILE DRIVING. WHO THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA? 

It completely sucks because I love my Kenwood headunit for it’s good sound, but if Spotify won’t fix their **bleep** app to NOT LOCK YOU OUT on Kenwood receivers, I’ll be forced to switch brands or cancel my Spotify sub in favor of the competition (Google Music is looking mighty tempting these days...).  

I wouldn’t be surprised if all this post garners is a “sorry you feel this way; we’ll look into it” response from someone, and that’s all that happens. SOMEONE on the Development team has to have a Kenwood receiver in their car and experiences the same thing. 

Yes, this app lockout for drivers safety is absolutely ridiculous! There needs to be an over ride option. Even the passengers can’t play DJ anymore. I bought this Kenwood head unit for a roadtrip and it totally ruined the whole trip.  Spotify, this sucks!

The exact same thing happens to me. Spotify is going to lose a customer if this doesn't get fixed

Megadue,

There is a workaround, albeit an annoying one! Spotify recently integrated with Waze; it will start asking you to open Waze when using the Spotify app. What you’ll want to do is follow these steps:

- open Waze, then hit “RESUME PLAYING”.  It will say “authenticating” and load for a few moments.

- In Waze, the player controls will appear. You’ll be able to tap the Spotify icon and go directly into the Spotify app. The lockout should bypass and you can use the app like normal. 

- if the app fails to bypass, make sure the music is stopped. When you hit resume playing, use the “play” button to control resuming of playback. Then go to Spotify and the lockout should disappear. 

Its VERY annoying but is one of the only ways to get through to use the app. I have also found that BT AUDIO — Not “BT SPOTIFY” — will also allow you to use Spotify in most cases without the lockout. However, if it denies you, follow the above procedure for the same result. 

Hope this helps. Post back for any other questions!

It would'nt even let me do that. they just need to fix the app. I ended up unsubscribing because of all this

One final trick you can use, which is what I ended up doing, is disable the Spotify input on your receiver completely so USB treats it as an iPod device.

Turn receiver input to “standby”; then click the volume knob to open the options menu. Cycle through to system —> Input / Source  —> Spotify —> OFF

The headunit will stop defaulting to Spotify and consequently will stop locking you out of the app when plugged in via USB or connected via Bluetooth.

I found a fix to this problem. Go to Spotify setting on the radio. iPhone go to remote app> select >IOS change to no. > android change to yes. This confuses the head unit into thinking it’s connected to an android device. Allowing Spotify on iPhone to behave like normal. 

This worked but you lose the ability to see the song titles on the head unit. Still, Spotify functionality on the phone restored.  Now my wife and kids get to play their music again when I drive. Spotify has to fix this. Been a loyal Spotter for a couple years now.   Looking at switching because of this. iHeart and Pandora do not have this problem.

Same here. Stupid idea.

The OTHER workaround is to use a cable into the AUX input, which is what I had to do with the ancient unit that was in our Jeep before. So I have the cable.

Same problem. I didn't realize it was a "feature."

The other workaround is to use a cable into the AUX input. This was what I had to do with our old Jeep unit, so I'm used to it and I have the cable.

So I am in the process of presenting this issue to Kenwood directly and if
anything comes of it then I will post in here for all of us. I basically
trashed their “Spotify integration feature” and said how it isn’t working
and stuff so we will see.

I'm having the same issue with a Kenwood BT322U.  I was told by crutchfield (where I bought the receiver) to use the "Bluetooth Audio" source on the receiver and not the "Spotify" source but in either source, the receiver locks the app on my phone.  This has to be one of the worst 'features' I've ever encountered.  Why would anyone want to try and navigate a touchscreen designed app through a car stereo LCD screen?  

IMG_4227.PNG

Suggested posts