Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Last Spotify update 7.7.0 is draining my Battery (iPhone 7)

Last Spotify update 7.7.0 is draining my Battery (iPhone 7)

I installed the latest update from Spotify iOS this morning (7.7.0). My phone is overheating (something really rare) while playing music on Spotify and it's draining my battery really quickly.

70 Replies

I'm having the same exact issue with  my iphone 7.  It started on Monday, my phone got really hot and the battery drained very quick. I came to work at 8am on 100% and by 1pm I was at less than 20%, just off of listening to Spotify.  I deleted and re-installed the app but that didn't fix the problem. Considering apple music if this doesn't get fixed soon.

iPhone 7 Plus with latest Spotify version: 7.9.0.545 with a Bluetooth Headset

Started on 100% battery. Only using Spotify and battery down to 23% in under 4hrs! Also the phone is hot (phone is not in a case and sitting on stand so it gets maximum cooling)

According to iOS Battery statistics: 1 min on screen 2.8 hrs in background

For reference I was using the Radio service (Daily Mix) with lot of new tunes so I'm guessing loads of streaming happenning. (I'm also a Premium account holder so the music is probably cached on the phone not just streamed)

Maybe the streaming/caching the root cause of this all?

My phone drained 12% in 10 minutes and got really hot.

I don't understand why Spotify aren't fixing this...

Same here! I turned off the ability to change songs on other devices from the lock screen, but that only seemed to help for a day. I've always listened to Spotify from the time I get up (between 5-6am) until about 5-6 pm, it's always through bluetooth streaming, with my watch being the only other bluetooth device hooked up to my phone, and this has not been a problem until Tuesday.

Spotify team, some insight into what this sudden problem is would be appreciated! Or even just letting your customers know that you're aware of the problem and are working on it. Or actual realease notes....those are great too..

Same issue here, but not before the update to 7.9. I use an iPhone 7 plus with a Senheiser Blutooth headphone.

I'm having the same issue.

Restarting spotify seems to fix it for about half an hour, then the overheating and battery drain start again.

Spotify 8.0 doesn't fix the issue!

My issue seems to be fixed. I'm now on 8.0.0.529, with iOS 10.3 Beta 7 (been running betas since the beginning of this thread), and now the background battery activity is back to a normal level, with no overheating on my 128GB 7+ (A1661 model).

Hope this configuration will realy fix the issue and Apple will release 10.3 soon.

Good to hear. Had the exact same thing happen with Facebooks app today - so it seems like it's an iOS-issue rather than a Spotify-issue. . . 

Updated to IOS 10.3 yesterday, and Spotify update 8.1.0.623 this morning - phone is still overheating and  I was losing battery life at a rate of 1% every one minute prior to turning off almost every single location service and multiple other features in IOS. But again, this issues wasn't present before 2-3 weeks ago, and Spotify is the ONLY app that is draining the battery at this ridiculous rate. Absolutely nothing has changed in my useage habbits. All of the services I turned off this morning were always on before - and never caused such drainage. 

me too! they said it was the "run from lock screen" setting, but I chnaged it, and it still sucks my battery.

WORST UPDATE EVER

I'm now on Spotify 8.1.0.623, with the stable released iOS 10.3 (14E277), and the battery drain / heat still appear to be non-existent on my iPhone 7 Plus (MN5T2LL/A).  

I'll be running Spotify all day today on my 2014 rMBP with the mobile app open on my iPhone to view song changes / artwork, and I'll report back with how much battery has been used after doing this all day / tomorrow morning too.

Strange, but since I have install the new iOS 10.3 and Spotify 8.1 all is ok. The battery didn't drain more.

Just updated to ios 10.3 and reinstalled spotify 8.1.0.  Played a couple of tracks this morning and it's drained my battery 6% in about 6 minutes!

Used Goolge Play Music all day yesterday and I don't even think it used 6% all day!

Don't know what's going on with this app but Spotify need to fix it, it's ridiculous!

Back to Google music which could be for a very long time...

Hi,

I noticed this problem few days ago and I even restored my phone but it didn't help. I'm on the newest version of Spotify and iOS 10.2.1. I tried everything but nothing helps.

Spotify please fix this problem!!

Still at very low (<10%) battery usage from Spotify, and no hot iPhone with my current setup of latest iOS / Spotify and iPhone 7 Plus.  Not sure what dictates when this problem occurs, but mine is officially back to normal.

The issue is still occuring in the latest update(8.2.0) running on iPhone 7 (10.3.1)

Battery will only last a few hours. The amount of updates coming through for the app, looks like they are trying to fix the issue. 

Just hope for a fix soon. Apple Music until the fix though unfortunately. 

Battery.png

@Anzwer wrote:

Hi,

I noticed this problem few days ago and I even restored my phone but it didn't help. I'm on the newest version of Spotify and iOS 10.2.1. I tried everything but nothing helps.

Spotify please fix this problem!!

Hey @Anzwer, thanks for posting in the community 🙂

Could you try upgrading to iOS 10.3 please and see if that fixes the problem? You're slightly behind in terms of iOS version. 🙂

Just got affected by this issue. I'm on iOS 10.3.1 plus Spotify 8.2.0 (latest according to my App Store app). I was listening to music a bit (maybe 20 minutes) on the phone during a commute, got to the destination with ~80% battery (expected from other usage), then started to listen from the Mac client (1.0.52.725.g943b26a8) with the phone just sitting there on the table unused. Fast forward to ~1.5h later and the phone is hot and at 25% battery with Spotify taking the cake according to iOS.

By the way, this is on iPhone 6s 64 GB, not 7.

Suggested posts