Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Local Files Were Working But New Songs Won't Add To My Iphone

Local Files Were Working But New Songs Won't Add To My Iphone

So I have songs on my Macbook that won't download on my iphone. I've seen all the other solutions like redownloading and using sub folders but none of that is working for me. Adding local files worked for me seamlessly a couple weeks ago but now its not working at all. I'm on the same wifi and everything that it tells me to do. Just very confused now. They all play on itunes, quicktime and spotify desktop app but won't appear for download on my phone. They just stay greyed out when I add them

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

iphone xs max

Operating System

IOS

6 Replies

Hey @jjmello23 

The steps to sync local files from a computer to the iOS Spotify app have recently changed. Sorry for the inconvenience. 

You now need to go into the Spotify iOS app settings and turn on local file sync.

From the help article:

Note: Premium subscription is required

1. On desktop, import your local files (with the "Desktop" steps).
  2. Add the files to a new playlist.
  3. Log in on your mobile or tablet using the same WiFi as your desktop.
  4. Go to Settings --Local Files and switch on Enable sync from desktop.
    Note: You need to allow Spotify to find devices in the prompt that shows.
  5. Download the playlist with your local files.

Didn’t work?

Make sure:

• You're logged in to the same account on both your desktop and mobile
  • Your devices are connected to the same WiFi network
  • The app is up-to-date on both devices
  • Your device is up-to-date

Also, at first the Local Files playlist will show as empty in the iOS app. To be able to see the songs before they are synced over, go to Settings ---> Playback --> and make sure "hide unavailable songs" option is turned off. Now you can still see songs even if they are not available on Spotify or for local files -- not synced over yet.

Let me know how it goes.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hey Matt

I am a pretty avid local files user myself and I have done all of these steps and all of my songs are showing up unavailable. If you know anything else that would be very helpful.

Wondering about this as well.

Synced local files to my iphone last month. Everything worked fine. Could not get local tracks to even show up as gray on iphone today when trying to sync more songs. Done all the troubleshooting steps mentioned online. Also was able to sync new local files to my ipad which is running an older version of spotify with the same network and settings.

Boggles my mind of every feature on spotify deteriorates over time.  

finally found the solution - (ps spotify if it aint broke please stop trying to "fix it")

Follow all the steps from @Mattsuda above whereby you make unplayable files visible

go to your playlist, then look below the duration of the playlist - there is a download button - press this to download to your iphone!

this then works!

see the pics

IMG_0850.jpgIMG_0851.PNG

I pressed the download icon but my songs still aren't downloading. Nothing happens at all & they're still greyed out.

Hey folks,

Thanks for searching for the answer you need here!   

The steps that @MattSuda offer some really good troubleshooting. If afterwards you still experience difficulties with downloading your local files you can do the following:

• Try with another internet connection
  • Remove the playlist with the local files on both your desktop and iPhone. You can then create a new one.
  • Perform a clean reinstall on your devices using these steps.

Hope you find this useful. Keep us posted how you get on.

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts