Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Local Files un-downloading

Local Files un-downloading

I've been using the local files system for a few years now and at the beginning it ran pretty smoothly. The system I use is downloading the songs I want to Dropbox, selecting the songs from the Local Files page on my desktop Spotify app, and adding them to my "downloads" playlist (which is marked for offline sync on my phone and thus will automatically download) and then to any other playlist I want them in. This worked fairly well up until about a year ago. Since then I've had many issues with all of my local files un-downloading periodically. This wouldn't be too much of an issue, however, I cannot figure out a way to re-download them. The green symbol that tells you a playlist is marked for offline sync is still on the playlist, but all the songs are grey and unplayable. Unselecting the offline sync option on the playlist and then marking it again does not work at all. Maybe this is because the songs are also in a lot of other playlists? But it would be a huge hassle to go and un-download and re-download every playlist that has a local file in it because I have so many and don't know every one that I've added a local file to. I've tried troubleshooting in other ways (updating the app, logging out and back in, making sure "download using cellular" is turned on, and enabling all preferences through settings) but nothing has worked. The only option I have is to remove all of the local files I already have in my "downloads" playlist and replace them on my desktop by using the usual process, but that would be even more of a hassle. Is there anything else I could try before doing so?

Plan

Premium

Country

United States

Device

iPhone SE (2020)

Operating System

iOS 14.4

IMG_1132.jpg
1 Reply

Hi there @georgiasaul

Welcome to the Community and thanks for reaching out about this. 

Great troubleshooting so far, we can add a few more steps to make sure we've covered all bases.

We suggest keeping the app updated to its latest version to ensure optimal performance. We know that you've already tried it, but it's also well worth running a clean reinstall on both devices, as it's more thorough than a normal reinstall.

Also, take a look at the steps and recommendations you'll find in this Spotify Answer about Local Files. If you've already checked those steps and the issue still persists, could you let us know what exactly you've tried from there?

We'll be on the lookout for your reply 🙂

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Suggested posts