Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Local files disappeared from iPhone app

Local files disappeared from iPhone app

Local Files disappeared from iPhone app after adding a new song. Any help please?

Hi everyone! I know a lot of people ask questions about syncing local files to the iPhone app cause its hardly a seamless proccess, but over the years I've managed to figure it out, having downloaed dozens of local fiiles onto my phone. But today I had something wierd happen that I can't find a fix for.

So I sync a new local file, playing it on the desktop app and liking it on my iPhone while connected to the laptop and the same wifi. That usually does the trick for me. It adds it to the library on my desktop, no problem as usual, however literally all my liked songs disappeared on my iPhone app, including local files. I play any liked song on the desktop app, and it appears that I've liked it on the iPhone app despite not appearing. Odd.

I uninstall the app and redownload it, all my liked songs are restored except for the local files. I try to resync them all at once by adding them to a playlist and clicking the download button. When I open the playlist on my phone to download them, they refuse to even appear grey-ed out on the app. I try making duplicates of the files to download them as new files, same thing.

I've updated my phone, updated the app, logged in and out on both devices, changed wifi, used my phone's hotspot, changed USB cables and still nothing. The playlist appears empty on my phone and liking a local file while it's playing on the desktop app doesn't work like it usually does. It just won't let me download any new local files or recognize my old ones despite being on the desktop app.

Any fix for this? I'd really appreciate it. Honestly this is my biggest gripe with spotify and wonder if they'll ever improve it.

3 Replies

Hey there @majeed97,

Thanks for getting in touch with us. Don't worry. Help is on the way 🙂

The troubleshooting steps you've tried so far are very good. Do you mind us adding some more? 

We'd suggest you give these steps a go and clear the cache. You can also try restarting the router. 

Just to double check- Can you see the liked songs on your phone or the issue still persists?

Let us know how it goes. If you have questions, don't hesitate to reach out to us.

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

The steps to sync local files from a computer to the iOS Spotify app have recently changed. Sorry for the inconvenience. 

You now need to go into the Spotify iOS app settings and turn on local file sync.

From the help article:

Note: Premium subscription is required

1. On desktop, import your local files (with the "Desktop" steps).
  2. Add the files to a new playlist.
  3. Log in on your mobile or tablet using the same WiFi as your desktop.
  4. Go to Settings --Local Files and switch on Enable sync from desktop.
    Note: You need to allow Spotify to find devices in the prompt that shows.
  5. Download the playlist with your local files.

Didn’t work?

Make sure:

• You're logged in to the same account on both your desktop and mobile
  • Your devices are connected to the same WiFi network
  • The app is up-to-date on both devices
  • Your device is up-to-date

Also, at first the Local Files playlist will show as empty in the iOS app. To be able to see the songs before they are synced over, go to Settings ---> Playback --> and make sure "hide unavailable songs" option is turned off. Now you can still see songs even if they are not available on Spotify or for local files -- not synced over yet.

Let me know how it goes.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

My library disappeared today n my iPhone and IPad. Haven’t checked if on tv yet. This is the 2nd time this has occurred. What is the solution? A terrible loss. Only two or three items remain. If I had too many items, why doesn’t Spotify have a warning notice?

Suggested posts