Local files downloaded but not playing

Plan

Premium

Device

iPhone SE 2020

Operating System

iOS 13.4.1

My Question or Issue

I have a playlist that includes songs not available on Spotify, so I sync the local files from my desktop to my phone. This worked fine until a few days ago my local files on my phone became unplayable (greyed out). The song is downloaded to the phone (the green arrow shows, see the song called "5334" in the attached screenshot for an example), but I cannot press on it, and opening the menu on it does not show the play option. How can I play my local files again?

IMG_3554.PNG

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi there @monicad22,

Thanks for the reply.

Could you make sure that there are no VPN/firewall services turned on on both your phone and PC.

Also, try the following: deleting the playlist with the local songs > restarting both apps > create a mobile Hotspot and connect both devices to it (Have Wi-FI switched off at this point) > Open both apps and upload the local files. This will help us determine if the issue is network related.

Keep us posted!

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

43 Replies

Hey there @dsegs

Thanks for searching for the answer you need here! 

It's a good idea to try changing the source location of the local files on your PC. Simply create a new folder in a different directory on your device and move your local files to this folder. Then just delete the old folder used for the local files. Now you can try importing the files to your mobile device again. 

Also, check out this help page for further tips on how to manage your local files. Here you’ll find useful info on format requirements and permitted file sources.  

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes. 

The files are imported and downloaded without issue, they just became unplayable.

Same problem here, and this hasn't helped. It shows that the songs are downloaded and even look playable but as soon as I click them they go grey again!

Hey there @monicad22,

Welcome to the Community!

Could you confirm to us that you've followed all the steps from this support article when uploading the local files? Also note that both devices need to be connected to the same Wi-Fi network. Syncing local files does not always work as expected when your Desktop device is connected via Lan cable.

Another thing you can do is create a playlist and some songs from our catalogue to the playlist as well as the local file/s and make sure you have ‘Show unavailable songs in playlists’ turned on in Settings on both your devices.

Also keep in mind that broken cache might cause issues with your app, so we recommend performing a clean reinstall of Spotify on all devices just to be sure that you're running the latest version and there're no cache related issues.

Let us know how it goes. We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

AlexModerator

Yes, I tried everything, but it still isn't working

Hey @monicad22,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community.

Jumping in to confirm that Spotify won't allow you to play files/tracks acquired illegally (e.g. YouTube video converted to mp3) so it'd be great if you'd also double-check the files' source before trying again.

Hope you'll find this useful.

Cheers!

Mario Moderator

Yes, I have already checked this, and the files are fine
Marked as solution

Hi there @monicad22,

Thanks for the reply.

Could you make sure that there are no VPN/firewall services turned on on both your phone and PC.

Also, try the following: deleting the playlist with the local songs > restarting both apps > create a mobile Hotspot and connect both devices to it (Have Wi-FI switched off at this point) > Open both apps and upload the local files. This will help us determine if the issue is network related.

Keep us posted!

AlexModerator

Alex, thanks for this suggestion. I do have a VPN installed but had it turned OFF. I do have Windows Defender Firewall turned ON but didn't try turning off. Instead, I did fix the problem by turning on my iPhone Hotspot and connecting my PC and my Wife's iPhone to my hotspot. Then, the local files downloaded to her playlist. Good grief! I thought I'd never figure that out! Thanks again!

Hi @Drummer3,

Thanks for getting back to us.

Glad to hear that everything worked out fine.

Sometimes Firewall software or certain network settings can restrict the data flow necessary for uploading and syncing files between devices, so it's always a good choice to try a different network 🙂

Don't hesitate to reach out again if you need more help with anything.

AlexModerator

I've tried everything so far, but it's still just not working for these few songs! They keep showing that they're downloaded, but then the songs are still not playable. When I click them, the song pops up but doesn't play.

Hey @monicad22,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop 🙂

It's a good idea to make sure that the app and the firmware are up-to-date.

Could you try downloading the songs on another device to check if anything changes?

You can also share with us the troubleshooting steps you've tried so far, so we can avoid any repeating steps.

Keep us in the loop! We'll be right here if you have any questions.

Ver Moderator

I don't have another device, but this was happening on my old phone, and is now happening on my new phone as well (both iPhones). I've made sure everything is updated

Hi @monicad22,

Thanks for the reply.

If this is happening on multiple devices, there could be a network setting causing this or the song files themselves.

It would be great if you could try connecting to another network. Also, check what happens if you try uploading some songs in a different format:

• .mp3.
  • .m4p (unless it contains video)
  • .mp4

Keep us posted on how you get on.

AlexModerator

I have encountered a weird issue, when adding local files to my spotify there hasn't been any issues. I followed the steps as always, and added the songs and downloaded them. On my iphone they say they they're playble but when I go to play them on my phone they don't play at all.

Hi @Krbanksta,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for posting!

To start, please let us know which troubleshooting steps you have taken so far, this way we can avoid repeating them. Throughout this thread you will find many options shared by other mods. 

Keep us posted. We'll keep an eye out for your reply. 

MafeGModerator

I have a similar problem, I have downloaded my songs, they show up in my playlist but it just doesn't play, it works on my desktop but on mobile no, i have redownloaded the songs individually and nothing, I deleted the app and redownload all my songs on mobile and still didn't work. the weird thing is all the local file songs downloaded before still play but the newer ones that i downloaded this past week didn't work once. need this fixed quick

I think I found the issue (or an indication of it). On your desktop (I only know how to do It for windows, I don't own a Mac) go to the audio file that shows up on your phone, but doesn't play, right click it, and check the properties. From then go to details, and check the media section for "length". I noticed that for the audio files that show a time for the length are playable on my phone but the files that don't show a time are NOT playable, despite both being playable on the desktop version of spotify. The only reasoning I can see as to why it's not playable on the mobile version is for the whole "obtain your files legally" thing that spotify has going on now. I am not sure how to solve it but maybe downloading audio files from the different website or something might work.  I just noticed this trend so please like to have others see this and try it for yourself. 

I think it might have to do with the bitrate as well because under the file properties the bitrate is not listed either

Suggested posts