Music Fan

Plan

Premium

Device

iPhone SE 2020

Operating System

iOS 13.4.1

My Question or Issue

I have a playlist that includes songs not available on Spotify, so I sync the local files from my desktop to my phone. This worked fine until a few days ago my local files on my phone became unplayable (greyed out). The song is downloaded to the phone (the green arrow shows, see the song called "5334" in the attached screenshot for an example), but I cannot press on it, and opening the menu on it does not show the play option. How can I play my local files again?

IMG_3554.PNG
4 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Local files downloaded but not playing

Hey there @dsegs

Thanks for searching for the answer you need here! 

It's a good idea to try changing the source location of the local files on your PC. Simply create a new folder in a different directory on your device and move your local files to this folder. Then just delete the old folder used for the local files. Now you can try importing the files to your mobile device again. 

Also, check out this help page for further tips on how to manage your local files. Here you’ll find useful info on format requirements and permitted file sources.  

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes. 

IvanModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
“Music is the strongest form of magic.” Marilyn Manson
Highlighted

Music Fan

The files are imported and downloaded without issue, they just became unplayable.

Highlighted

Visitor

Same problem here, and this hasn't helped. It shows that the songs are downloaded and even look playable but as soon as I click them they go grey again!

Highlighted

Hey there @monicad22,

Welcome to the Community!

Could you confirm to us that you've followed all the steps from this support article when uploading the local files? Also note that both devices need to be connected to the same Wi-Fi network. Syncing local files does not always work as expected when your Desktop device is connected via Lan cable.

Another thing you can do is create a playlist and some songs from our catalogue to the playlist as well as the local file/s and make sure you have ‘Show unavailable songs in playlists’ turned on in Settings on both your devices.

Also keep in mind that broken cache might cause issues with your app, so we recommend performing a clean reinstall of Spotify on all devices just to be sure that you're running the latest version and there're no cache related issues.

Let us know how it goes. We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“With freedom, flowers, books, and the moon, who could not be perfectly happy?” ― Oscar Wilde
SUGGESTED POSTS