Local files on desktop not syncing to Iphone

Plan

Premium

Device

Iphone 8, Mac Pro (desktop computer)

Operating System

Mac OS Sierra

My Question or Issue

Spotify on my computer has playlists entirely made up of songs from my local files. These playlists used to play fine on my iPhone. Suddenly, they don't even show up in the playlist. It does say the number of songs in the playlist on the iPhone, but when I press it, there's not even greyed out songs?? I have these mp3s synced onto my iTunes app, I know these songs are on my phone.

Spotify is really pissing me off. This has been posted dozens of times and nobody has an answer. Seems like a pretty basic function and it has been defunct for a long time. I bet a lot of people have moved over to Apple music for this issue alone.

5 Replies

Hey @bmw789,

Welcome to the Community.

To download local files to your iPhone, your desktop's Spotify client has to be open and both of your devices have to be connected to the same WiFi network.

It might also be worth it to check out this page to read more on local files.

Let us know if that works! Have a good one 🙂

No, it didn't work. That's what I've been doing the whole time.

Hey @bmw789,

Thanks for getting back to us.

We suggest that you do a quick reinstall for a fresh start and to ensure that you have the latest Spotify version. This means that you'll have to re-download any music you've saved for offline use. 

If that doesn't work, try putting the file in another folder and use that folder as a source for local files from your app's settings. Rename the files if necessary to something that only contains letters and spacing, without any special characters.

If you're having trouble synchronizing the tracks between devices, try using mobile hotspot to connect the devices to the same network. If there's too many local files, try with just a few, create a test playlist 🙂

Let us know how you get on. Have a nice day!

Maybe you should include that information in the desktop client which says it's UNDOABLE.

Why don't you integrate the restore playlist function in the desktop app. A Simple "Deleted" or "Trash" at the bottom of all the playlists? Restoring what is basically a 1kb list of tracks is a basic function in most decent apps.

I don't understand why it's so ungodly clunky and difficult to sync desktop files to mobile when other apps do it fine. My files used to sync to mobile fine, and now it refuses to sync anything to my phone. I fear trying a reinstall because that would just ruin the playlists that are working.

Suggested posts