Plan

Family Premium

Country

USA

Device

iPhone 8

Operating System

iOS 14.2

I got a new computer recently (Windows 10) and I wanted to redownload my local files to my iPhone. I have tried everything and nothing will work. I feel like I have been on every forum trying every possible solution. I reinstalled Spotify on both my computer and Phone numerous times, I have changed the location of my files, I have checked my firewall, I have tried different wifi networks, I have tried downloading a few songs at a time, and I have even tried connecting my computer to my phone's hotspot and downloading them that way. 

Nothing works.

The odd part is that when I do go to download the playlist that contains the local files, my phone will recognize that there are 200 or so songs on the playlist. However, once the download bar reaches the 95 songs that are Spotify files, its stops downloading. 

Any advice would be so appreciated, I just want to listen to all my music in the same place

17 Replies

Hey @sanderson026,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community.

We're sorry to hear that you're experiencing difficulties with importing your local files and appreciate the troubleshooting you've done so far. Just to maker sure that we're on the same page - you've tried a clean reinstall on both devices using this guide? The steps there are more thorough and make sure that no leftover files remain. You should also remove all playlists with imported files and start the whole process from scratch using the instructions in this guide.

If that doesn't fix things, we'd appreciate a couple of screenshots of how the playlists you're trying to download look from your end. You can attach them to your reply via the Post Editor, just make sure to hide any private or sensitive info.

Keep us posted! We'll be happy to lend a hand if you need more help. 

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I tired everything you mentioned before, but I just tried it again with no prevail. My phone did the exact same thing as before. When I went to download the playlist, is showed 259 songs were queued to download, and then stopped as soon as it hit 95. 

I double checked all my song files too to make sure they weren't the issue, but they all worked just fine on my computer spotify and on Quicktime player. 

Screenshot 2021-01-07 130339.png
IMG_2032.jpg
IMG_2033.jpg

Hi again @sanderson026

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. 

We'd suggest making sure that your device has enough storage space available.

You can also take a look at this article where you'll find some useful tips on what to do to make your Local Files work properly. 

Keep us in the loop. We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

I just checked the list and made sure everything works correctly/as it should and still nothing works. My device has more than enough storage to accommodate the files yet it still won't download 

Hey @sanderson026

Thanks for getting back to us. 

Would you mind sending over the Spotify version you're currently running on both devices?

We'd also recommend making sure that you're not using any battery saving/task killing apps, as these could cause issues with Spotify's cache.

Let us know how it goes.

NovyModerator

On my phone I'm using 8.5.86.739, and on my computer I'm using version 1.1.48.625.g1c87c7f7.

I checked and I'm not using any power saving apps so that is not the issue

Hi again @sanderson026,

Could you let us know exactly what happens when you try to import less than 95 songs? Are those downloaded properly and are playable on your iPhone?

If possible, could you also try with another account, like a friend's or relative's, and let us know if it works there? This would help us determine if this is account-related.

We'll be looking out for your reply.

CarlosEModerator

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

So when I try to download fewer songs at a time the same thing happens, the playlist downloads the spotify files and stops at the local files.

I did try downloading all the same files on my sister's phone and same thing happened, so that probably rules out it being an account issue. 

Hey @sanderson026,

To make sure that we're on the same page - the files get imported properly on your desktop and you can play them via the app there, is that correct? Could you let us know if the songs are able to get downloaded if you create a new playlist, only with local files and with less than 90 tracks in it? Also, please keep in mind that only track in the formats listed here and obtained from official sources can be imported in to your library and downloaded across devices. 

Keep us posted.

Mihail Moderator

Yes, all the song files play properly on my desktop Spotify, and they've downloaded just fine before on my phone, so I don't think its an issue of source. 

When I make a playlist of only local files and try to download it nothing happens, no matter what the quantity of songs is. I've been trying to do mixes of spotify songs + local files playlists and that's when I get the download bar to say "downloading 260". However, once it reaches the 95 Spotify songs on the playlist, it stops downloading and none of the local files are added.  

Hey @sanderson026,

Can you please confirm that the files have been obtained from an official distributor? If you have the option to test with another smartphone if the local files playlist gets downloaded properly there, that would also help the troubleshooting a lot. That way we can check if the root cause is the device.

Let us know how it works out.

Mihail Moderator

The files I'm trying to add are all pretty much from websites like Bandcamp or Mediafire (all uploaded by the original artist). 

I've downloaded them all onto my phone from my previous computer before and its worked correctly. This problem started because I got a new computer and I wanted all my local files to be coming from the same place. 

I tired to download the files using my sister's phone last night and the same problem occurred, so I'd assume that rules out my device being the issue

Hi again @sanderson026

Keep in mind only files or downloads from legal sources are allowed on Spotify, this might be the reason why you're unable to sync them properly. 

If there's anything else we can help you with, you know where to find us.

Have a good one. 

NovyModerator

Somehow, I am not entirely sure how, but I managed to download 5 of the songs. 

I opened Spotify and the downloads bar went from 95/260 to 100/260 before stopping and 5 of my local files were there.

Hey there @sanderson026,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation.

Can you try the following:

• Add some songs from our catalogue to the playlist as well as the local file/s and make sure they have ‘Show unavailable songs in playlists’ turned on in Settings

• Play some music on the device that has the local files to see if it shows via Connect on the other device

• Make sure the router supports the Bonjour protocol. If the router is made after 2005, it will likely have this protocol. The best way to handle this is to check the router make/model and Google it

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

I think its my computer that's the issue. I used a different one and all the files downloaded. I'm having other issues with wifi connectivity with my computer, so I'm getting it looked at. Thank you for all the help! 

Hey @sanderson026,

Thanks for keeping us posted.

We're glad to know that you could download your Local Files using another computer.

We're always happy to help. If you need anything else, you know where to find us.

Have a good one 🙂

CarlosEModerator

Suggested posts