Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Logging in IOS10.3.3

Logging in IOS10.3.3

I have install Spotify on an old iPhone 5c running iOS 10.3.3 I have tried to login to the app using two different Spotify account details but none of them work. The app keeps saying that it cannot recognise the account even though they work fine logging via the website and using my iPhone 12. 

I have reinstalled the app three times. 

51 Replies

Hey @Unknownmonkey1,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community.

It'd be great for your to take a look at the Spotify system requirements to see if your iPhone 5c can meet them. Updating should do the trick with this type of issues.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

Mario Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Thank you for your suggestion but you may have misread my post. I’m using an IPhone C which cannot update past IOS10.3.3 and the requirements are only relate to the current release of Spotify. Many years ago Apple made it possible that users were able to install older versions of apps on devices which could not install the latest IOS.

Hey @Unknownmonkey1,

Thanks for your reply.

The minimum iOS version required to run the Spotify app is 12. We can't guarantee that older versions of the app will run correctly in older OS versions, and errors such as the one you're describing are expected.

You could try running a clean reinstall of the app by following the steps in this guide as it can help removing any cached files that might be causing trouble, to see if that helps.

If you have any questions or need a hand with anything else, we'll be right here.

Take care!

CarlosEModerator

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Older versions of the app, were working versions as they are on the App Store. To say that the latest version for IOS10, which would have been the latest IOS at the time, and it’s now not working, is a very poor response for a billion dollar company. Before Apple released iOS 11, the version of the Spotify app would have been latest and most stable. 

For a community response to say, tough luck you should never use older devices, is not much of a community!

Could anyone else please help suggest why Spotify have a broken app left on the App Store for people to download?

I experienced the same problem. I have used the spotify app every day last year (2 years probably) and I can't log in since 2 days ago.
I have an iPhone 5 with iOS 10.3.4 and I was using the Spotify app, not the most recent one, but an older version as the Store allows me to install it. The version that is giving me this problem is 8.5.28
I never had any problems before, not a single one.
I can log in with the safari browser, but not with the app. I tried the facebook log in and the normal one with 2 different accounts and everytime the app tells me that there has been an error and to try again later.

"

The minimum iOS version required to run the Spotify app is 12. We can't guarantee that older versions of the app will run correctly in older OS versions, and errors such as the one you're describing are expected.

You could try running a clean reinstall of the app by following the steps in this guide as it can help removing any cached files that might be causing trouble, to see if that helps.

"

This is a poor answer and definitly no solution.

I also face this problem using an IPhone 5. And I am a paying customer / premium member.

One cannot update the IOS above 10.3.4 on this device. But the AppStore gives the possibility to launch the last stable version of the spotify App for this IOSversion. In my case it is the 8.5.28.

On my IPad mini with IOS 9.3.5 the spotify App runs stable in the version 8.4.62.490. There I can log in without any problems.

I did many reinstalls and even did a reset on the whole device. Nothing worked.

Spotify should go and check the app on older devices.

On my search for a solution I found two things.

1. Some people told that they succeded with trying the log in on another wifi. Did not work for me.

2. Some people just waited some days and try again with success. Until now this did not work for me either.

So it would be nice to come up with a real solution for this problem.

Else noone who uses an iphone 5 or  IOS 10.smthg on an IPhone can be sure to be able to use spotify on this device.

Hey @Maz111111,

Thanks for the post.

We understand your frustration, but as the app gets developed certain mechanics change on the server side. Also, some more recently introduced features cannot be run on the processing units of older devices. This is why the app is not stable and we can't guarantee it will run as expected, or at all on older devices.

Hope this makes sense.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

There is no reason at all for why you cannot maintain server side connections for each of the main iOS updates. Apple specifically made this a feature so that device users could continue using older devices and have access to previous apps. Spotify is a multi billion dollar company, I don’t think their margins will be significantly impact to ensure users are not forced to upgrade their devices and contribute to the significant e-waste problem! 

I'm experiencing the same issue on iPhone 5 (A1429), running iOS 10.3.4 (latest).

No matter what I try, it says "Something went wrong, please try again later."

Funny thing is, Spotify works great on my iPhone 4 running iOS 7.1.2, so there is no real reason why it shouldn't work on iPhone 5, 5c etc.

Hi @snorbaard,

Thank you for posting on the Community.

As @CarlosE shared in a previous post, we cannot ensure that all older OS versions will be capable of running the app due to the minimum requirement of iOS 12, even if your iPhone 4 is still able to do it. 

Nevertheless, there's some troubleshooting you can perform to try to use the app. Here's the link with the steps.

Hope this helps!

Maria_BModerator

“The music is not in the notes, but in the silence in between.” – Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

I really dont think Spotify get that the App Store allows you to download older version of the app that was built and deployed for iOS10. It has nothing to do with minimum capabilities for IOS12. And for Spotify just to keep directing us to useless articles that dont solve the problem is bad form. It will probably take one of your techs 5mins to figure out that one of the older services has bugged out and needs to be restarted. I'm a paying customer who cant login. Sort it out.

Hi there @candersonnz,

Thank you for your reply and feedback.

We understand that things can feel frustrating when things don't work as you'd like them to. Rest assured that we're always trying to improve as we always strive to be better.

We hope for your understanding and that you continue using Spotify and find it gets better in the future.

Once again - thanks for the feedback, we appreciate it. Let us know if we can help you with anything else. 

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

This is BS! Spotify makes me change perfectly good working iPhone 5C (iOS 10.3.3) beacuse of this nonsence! Please fix it!

Same proble here. We are customers who paid the full price for the app. Spotify should work perfectly on an iphone 5c.

IOS 10.3.4 here and i can’t log in too. It’s truly frustrating that Spotify can’t realize that many users use old devices. Take a look at your competitors! Youtube’s app for an example works like a charm on old devices! This is unacceptable and needs to be fixed. 

I’ve now given up as Spotify clearly do not care enough about their users. I’ve invested in an Apple One subscription and Apple Music works flawlessly on my iPhone 5C. If you can I’d make the switch and leave.

Removing my comment really shows how low you are Spotify! 
That’s it i’m unsubscribing and moving to a different streaming service. 

So sad to see Spotify does not work on iPhone 5C while YouTube Music & Apple Music works fine as it should be.

Spotify will lose members to other competitors just because of this incompetence.

There are many premium users which are using Spotify Family membership and giving their old iPhone to their children. 

Another iPhone 5 here which I want to set up for my child to listen to spotify - disappointing response 

Suggested posts