Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Mistery login on iPhone

Mistery login on iPhone

Hi! I'm new here. Maybe you can help me shine light on this weird thing that happened.

#

Here it is

- I had an iPhone 7 (iOS 12) with Spotify on it

- I erased everything from said iPhone because Apple's geniuses messed up a repair and offered me a new iPhone

- I started using the new iPhone 7 (iOS 12) and during the setup process configured it as a new device (no restoring of iCloud backup)

- I downloaded Spotify on the new iPhone

- when I opened the app I was already logged in (SAY WHAT?)

#

Here's some additional information

- I'm a Premium user

- It din't ask for username or password

- my Spotify username is NOT even my apple email

- iCloud keychain is off

- Spotify does NOT show up as using iCloud to save data

- I tried deleting and downloading again, it still logs in on its own

- Spotify is my only app that does this

#

Does anyone know wth is going on? Where are these credentials stored?

4 Replies

Hey @blaalb, welcome to the Community.

Hope you're doing great!

Did they use any backup-restore methods? Because there's not just only iCloud backup for that or it was completely empty, no photo, apps or whatsoever?

Thanks! 🙂

Thanks for your answer @Loxer

I didn't use any backup/restore method.

I did use the same iCloud account as the old phone though, this means that some things got transferred (for example you can synch Contacts by toggling it in in the Settings app).

I'm just wondering why iCloud stored this credentials without asking or telling me (no data from Spotify appears to be saved to iCloud and my username and password weren't even on Keychain).

Hey @blaalb,

I didn't say you used backup methods, but that's the Apple Employee's rule, if they do have a backup or can make one they'll use it to restore to the new phone, that's what I've got suggested by them not saying that's 100% sure that happens with all of them 🙂

Because this has happened to me too as I tend to do plenty of factory resets to my phone after some time of using it or even when simply uninstalling Spotify because not all the files were wiped by iOS when that happened causing this.

Hope it helps!

Thanks again @Loxer

I don't think the Apple repair guys backed up my old iPhone and then transferred the backup on the new one. Here's why: they opened the new iPhone in front of me and just gave it to me. The setup procedure was identical to that of a new device, i.e. my iCloud account wasn't already there.

I can totally understand how some some data from an app can be cached and then reused after you uninstall and then reinstall it.

Now I hope you can agree that it would be weird for that cache to be stored on iCloud without asking the user for permission.

Suggested posts