Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Mobile Data Leak Bug?

Mobile Data Leak Bug?

Hi everyone, 

I got an iPhone 6S last Sunday, installed Spotify and, while on WiFi, synced a handful of playlists for offline playback. Since then I've been out and about, listening only to the playlists that I have marked as offline. However, if I check my mobile data useage under Settings > Mobile data, I have apparently used 305MB of my data allowance in just a few days. I have checked the settings within the Spotify app and 'Download using cellular' is turned off. Has anyone else experienced this?

As I say, I have only streamed my offline playlists. I got a bit paranoid about this 'data leak' so went into Settings > Spotify and turned off 'Background App Refresh'. I played a few more songs, checked the data and usage has gone up from 305MB to 312MB (which seems about right for streaming two tracks ~7mins long at normal quality). It seems the only way to completely stop this weird data useage is to go into complete offline mode within the Spotify application itself.

Does anyone know if this is a bug with Spotify or with iOS 9.3.1 and its data logging capabilities? I'd rather not be perpetually in offline mode- sometimes I do want to stream tracks that aren't synced offline. At the same time however, I can't afford for the app to burn through my 2GB allowance like this.

To confirm I'm running iOS 9.3.1 on an iPhone 6s, with the latest release of Spotify installed (5.4.0.1011).

Thanks in advance for your help!

3 Replies

I have exactly the same issue. Only listen to offline playlists, mobile data always turned off for spotify. It ate all my data allowance for one month within few seconds... nice... How can it bypass Apples mobile data setting?

iOS 9.3.1, iPhone 6, Spotify 5.4.0.1011

Can anyone from Spotify confirm whether this is an issue? This thread is also reporting the exact same issue: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-iOS-iPhone-iPad/Data-usage/td-p/1303947

Seems like it is a bug with the software...

Hey @Arcalis @Bill29

This bug should have been fixed now.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/High-Data-Usage-on-iOS-App-5-4-0/idi-p/1330089

Are you still having trouble with excessive mobile data usage?

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts