Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Mobile] Search is case-sensitive for downloaded Cyrillic titles

[Mobile] Search is case-sensitive for downloaded Cyrillic titles

Device

iPhone XR

Operating System

iOS 12.1.4

Searching songs with Cyrillic letters (e.g. Russian) does not discard their case. In other words, it is case-sensitive. For example, my playlist has a song titled "Ты или Я". When I search for lowercase "ты", I get no results, however when I search for literal "Ты", the song does pop up. "Т" and "т" are the same letter in lower and upper case. (See the first two enclosed screenshots.)

This behaviour has two problems:

1. It does not DWIM (do what I mean) as this sort of search is supposed to be case-insensitive.

2. It is not consistant with search in Latin charaters (e.g. English), which is actually case-insensitive. (See the last enclosed screenshot.)

Note 1. This bug has been around for at least a handful of month, I just did not get around to report it before.

Note 2. This bug concerns case-sensitivity with Cyrillic characters in particular, but not the search in general. (However, perhaps the problem spans over to other non-Latin scripts too, I haven't checked.) 

spotify-case-sensitive-search-bug.01.png
spotify-case-sensitive-search-bug.02.png
spotify-case-sensitive-search-bug.03.png
11 Replies

Hi there!

I know it sounds simple, but it's often overlooked. Could you try restarting your device? If that doesn't help, try a quick clean reinstall of the app. Just follow these steps.

If you're still having trouble, could you let me know the exact version of Spotify and the exact version of the operating system you're running?

I'll see what I can suggest next!

Bad luck, that did not help.

App: 8.4.98.741

Hey @power_max_9000,

Thanks for your reply 🙂

Currently the latest versions are 12.2 for iOS and 8.4.99 for Spotify.

Could you  try updating?

Let me know that goes.

Yup, already did! The bug persists.

Hey @power_max_9000,

Could we ask the user if this issue also occurs when using the desktop app or the Web Player? 

There's also a newer version of the iOS app as well. Let's ask the user to try updating once more and let us know if the issue still occurs. 

Thanks 🙂

I don't have a version newer than 8.5.0.833 available in the Apple app store yet. I do not use, nor have a desktop client, so cannot test it there unfortunatelly. I bet it should be easy for one of your engineers to reproduce the bug.

Hey!

We've seen a report that when searching for Cyrillic titles, the input is case-sensitive, which it should not be.

Try reinstalling the app if you are experiencing this issue and leave a comment with the following if it didn't help:

• Device
  • OS version
  • Spotify version

Don't forget to hit +vote as well!

Looking forward to your reply.

I've tried that and I've already provided requested information, please see above. Why would you make bug reporting so hard for users?

Hey @power_max_9000,

Thanks for reporting this to us and for providing those details.

We've passed your info on to our tech team, who will be looking into it.

We'll keep you posted and let you know as soon as we have any updates on this.

Thanks!

Hey @power_max_9000.

Thanks again for reporting this issue to us.

We just wanted to let you know that the right folks are looking into this.

We're not able to provide an exact timeline for a fix, but we'd recommend always keeping your Spotify app up to date to ensure you're on the latest version.

Thanks again!

Not only languages amd iPhone it just happened in Web Player I seached for "Domino" and "domino" and I got totally different results.

Suggested posts