Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Music not saving place iPhone app

Music not saving place iPhone app

When I am listening to Spotify on my iPhone app, when I close the app and reopen, the app does not go back to where I was playing the album/playlist. Usually, the app doesn’t have the song showing to press play where I left off but other times it goes to another random song on the playlist/album and restarts the shuffle.
10 Replies

Hi there,

Thanks for the post.

Can you let us know if this is happening only with one of your playlists or all of them? It's a good idea to do a clean reinstall of the app, following this guide. After that, log in the app and close it. Open and close the app a couple of times. This might sound a bit strange, but it will prompt your app to update to the latest version if it already hasn't.

There were multiple reports of the now playing bar disappearing, but that should be fixed in the most recent update.

Keep us posted on how you get on.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I tried the “clean reinstall” and the problem still persists. It is on all playlists, albums, artists, etc. 

Hey @Melissad321,

Thank you for keeping in contact and for the info shared.

To continue investigating this case, include in your next response the make, model and OS version of your device, along with the Spotify version you're currently running to continue investigating the case.

Also, would you mind checking on a different device (using your own account) to see if it makes any difference? If you don't have another one available, you can borrow one from a friend or family member to test it out. 

We'll be on the lookout,

OscarDCModerator

I’m using an iPhone 13, iOS 16.3.
Spotify version 8.8.6.598. 
I also notice sometimes I don’t have the problem if I am online and connected to wifi (but still sometimes have the problem) but I always have the problem in offline mode. 

I tried on a Microsoft tablet device and doesn’t seem to have the same problem, however I’m not able to use offline mode on that device. 

I’ve also tried on another iPhone 13 and I am having the same problem (the user’s phone I used has the same problem as well on their account)

Hi there @Melissad321 

Thanks for the info. When using offline mode, the playback cannot be synchronized between devices and also cannot be saved for the next time you open the app, as there is no connection to the servers. If you play a song normally, does it save properly? If so then, what you describe appears to be expected behaviour.

Hope this clears things up.

JoanModerator

Hi Joan,

This has not been a problem in offline mode until now. I have always been able to have my place saved in a downloaded album/playlist on the same device and been able to go right back into it when I reopen the app on offline mode. The now playing bar used to always appear when I reopened and I’d be in the same place. I know that it cannot be synchronized between devices but it should work on the same one. 
Also, the problem occurs even when on online mode on the same device so there is definitely a problem here. 

Hi @Melissad321 

Thank you for clarifying. Could you please send us some screenshots or a video showcasing the exact behaviour?

Thanks in advance.

JoanModerator

I’m not able to upload videos but here are some photos. I started the session listening to Steal My Girl, then I reopened the app and it switched to History. I then reopened the app again and the now playing bar was not there and I couldn’t go back to where I was listening. 
Note I have also been in contact with Spotify support who advised me they are working on the issue. 

ABD07713-2FE5-4312-91E5-E65619D651A4.png
B8F900C3-D7DA-490B-A74C-E0FF0E7F6D99.png
CF69CC54-DC02-4894-AD92-7C226F0FF6A1.png

Hey @Melissad321

Thanks for getting back to us and sending us this info.

We can confirm the relevant team is currently looking into this, however we can't confirm when it will be addressed. In the meantime, make sure to keep your app up-to-date.

If you need a hand with anything else, the Community is here for you. 

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Suggested posts