[Podcast] randomly jumps to the next episode while in the middle of a podcast

Plan

Premium

Country

Device

iPhone 7

Operating System

iOS 10

I will be in the middle of an episode of a podcast and suddenly the beginning of the next episode will play and I have to return to the previous episode

65 Replies

Hey there @Rzimmerman2121,

thanks for posting !

Please check out this FAQ's page on Podcasts for further info.

Hope this helps 😃

This isn't really helpful, I am having this exact issue and so are many others. I've about had it with Spotify and the inability to get help for simple issues.

I am having this same issue with both the music and podcasts. Partway through it will restart music, or skip a song entirely, and with Podcasts it will just skip to the next one. Every single time.
Both issues happen on mobile phones, web players, and the desktop app.
I have logged out, cleared cache and cookies, and even reinstalled the app on my phone and nothing has worked.
This issue is especially annoying when driving, as I prefer to not mess with my phone while I am on the road.

I am also having this issue. I'm just out for a walk and all the sudden it skips to the next episode. The kicker is that after it skips a podcast it is marked as fully viewed.... So I have to scan though the episode to find where I was.

Why does it skip ahead? Why is it marked as completed? Why has Spotify not replied to this thread??? How does one actually get support from Spotify?

Hey there @milkcrate745

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community, and welcome 🙂 

Would you mind letting us know if you've already tried any troubleshooting steps? This will help us give you better suggestions. 

Also, could you send over your device's make, model, OS version and the Spotify version you're currently running? 

We'll be on the lookout.

NovyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I am also experiencing this issue. Spotify desktop client version 1.1.61.583.gad060c66-a

Windows 10 Pro (version: 2004) (build: 19041.985)

My place in the episode is not saved. I have to try to manually find it. Sometimes I have to fight through multiple ads to get it to play the episode I want to listen to. I have Spotify Premium. 

Hey @Razer_

Help’s arrived! 

It's a good idea to check if you still observe this after performing a clean reinstall of Spotify on your PC. This will remove corrupted data that could be causing the issue. 

If you see no difference after the clean reinstall, check the hosts file for entries that need to be deleted. Follow the steps described here on how you can do that. 

Hope this helps. Keep us posted. 

I came here because I am also having this issue but on Android phone. Listening to podcast it skips to the next episode then when I go to start the episode it just left, it starts over and lost where it left off. One thing I did notice is that when I got back to the location where this happened, advertisements played. So  I think what is happening here is that the podcast hits a trigger to play ads but you have a  bug or glitch in your system that prevents the ads from playing so it simply jumps to the next episode. This happens ALL THE TIME for me and very frustrating. So this is not just happening on desktop, this is happening on phones. Across the board, people have been having this issue for years. Here it is 2021 and the original post was in 2019. Hopefully your support can do something about this. Every time I report something to support, they ask me to jump through flaming hoops for all kinds of info and nothing ever gets resolved. It is a joke.  I firmly believe this bug is ad related.

Google Pixel 4 XL Android version 11. Spotify version 8.6.52.911 ( not that it matters as this has been happening for many versions ).

Hi there @tripwater,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community and welcome.

We're sorry to hear that you've been experiencing this issue and we understand that you've already tried reaching out to Support before. However, could you let us know which troubleshooting steps you've already tried? This is so we don't repeat anything and know where to start.

Keep in mind that we ask the users to try some troubleshooting when we can't replicate an issue on our end, like in this case, or when we just have a few reports. This helps us narrow down what might be causing this and have a better idea of what can be done to sort it out.

Keep us posted.

CarlosEModerator

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Having the exact same problem on my brand new iPhone 13 pro, been having it for two years now why is there not a fix?

Hi @zbowling!

Do you experience this on any other devices you use Spotify on? Feel free to let us know the following:

• Your device's iOS version.
  • The version of Spotify you're running.
  • The troubleshooting you've tried so far so we avoid repeating the steps.

A short screen recording which shows this in action would also be greatly appreciated. If possible, you can try logging in to another Spotify account on your device (a friend's or a relative's account would do) to see if the issue is present there as well.

Keep us posted!

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Have this same exact issue tried the clearing cache, clearing storage, uninstall reinstall and no matter what still does the same and does it on multiple android devices I have same problem part way into a podcast skips to the next or a random one and says I played the previous one to finish.  So far looking there are multiple threads here about this same exact problem going back years and seems like no one cares beyond saying look at our troubleshooting FAQs

Hi there @Ihatethis27,

Thank you for your reply in this thread. We're sorry to hear about this. We'd like to investigate this further.

Can you confirm that you followed the steps that's provided in this article? There's some more steps to help thoroughly uninstall the app from your device, so if you haven't, we'd highly suggest it.

It would also be great if you can have someone log in with their account on your device - such as a friend or a family member to see if the issue persists.

On another note, can you let us know which version of the app you're having?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Version 8.7.22.1125. And yes I've followed all the steps as I stated in my original comment and there are many people in this thread having the exact same issue why the need for another account on my devices? Clearly this is not a problem with my device when it persist over multiple devices and from this thread multiple users. Again can I get a solution not a copy and paste of try these solutions that keep being reposted 

Hey @Ihatethis27,

Thanks for your reply and info.

We can understand how frustrating this could be, and we're not trying to say your device alone is having this type of issue. However we're having hard times replicating this on our end and that is why we need more info. We're asking from you to see if this behavior occurs for you with another account or not, as to be sure if this is not an account-related issue for example. We'd still be happy to help you troubleshoot this further, but we'd really need your cooperation in the process. 

Also, a short video recording of this situation would be very valuable for the investigation and for us to give you a better advice. 

Hope this clears things up. If you have any questions or need anything else, the Community is here for you.

Kiril Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Switched accounts and and it still happens it is almost impossible to record I'd have to record my phone for over an hour sometimes. I only have Spotify to listen to the Rogan podcast and like others say it usually happens when I'm guessing an ad is supposed to start.  But this can happen multiple times during a show and at 1-1/2hr in of 2-1/2 hrs in that's tough to set my phone to screen record for that long I have things to do.  I don't understand how this many people can have this issue but a giant company like Spotify can not replicate or figure it out. 

Hey @Ihatethis27,

Thank you for keeping in contact and for the info shared. 

To keep investigating this issue, would you mind confirming the make and OS of the Android devices where you have this issue? Also, could you confirm if this happens using the desktop app or a Web Player as well?

We’d also recommend keeping testing this for a few days in case the issue shows up again. Since having a recording about it is not easy as you mentioned previously, if it happens again, get the following information and include it in your next response.

• URI of the podcast you were listening to.
  • URI of the podcast that plays after skipping.
  • Country and local time of when this happened.

Thanks again for your help. We’ll be on the lookout. 

OscarDCModerator

I do not use a webplayer or desktop app, all Android devices OnePlus nord200, blackview bv9100, cubot King Kong, Motorola Moto one. Last time it did a bunch was April 13 between 2-5pm est had to restart the episode 3 times Joe Rogan Bobby green episode. I do not use the app everyday because of this frustration when using it.

Hey @Ihatethis27,

Thank you for keeping us updated.

We appreciate the information you've shared, this will help a lot in the investigation. However, we'll still need more information.

Would you mind giving a chance to the Web Player to see if it makes any difference? If not, could you include in your next response the URI of the podcast that plays after skipping, along with the country you're located? This will give us a better look at the issue.

We'll be waiting for your response. 

OscarDCModerator

Suggested posts