Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

New iOS app catastrophe (with Now, Moments, Running, Shows etc)

New iOS app catastrophe (with Now, Moments, Running, Shows etc)

Hello!

I was excited to hear about what Spotify had to say at yesterdays press conference. I was quite dissapointed with the outcome reading tech blogs and newspaper posts about the new features Now, Moments, Running and Shows (Video + Audio Podcasts).

My iOS app on the iPhone 6 is on V 3.1 and tonight the app completely switched to the new layout with the new features. Now it's just bloatware! The core part of the Spotify app (my music and playlists!) has just shifted to the bottom of the menu and it takes far longer to access things then before. Apart from that the Podcast implementation is terrible, I don't do sport running about so want to get rid of that feature in the menu. Also the new now playing screen has made the title bar (with clock, signal strength etc.) completly disappear! It's like the basic feature when out and about being able to see this essential information from the now playing screen.

If there is no way to revert back to the previous version I would like either a) an option to turn to a "music only" version of the app or b) a refund for this new service I didn't sign up for.

I can not wait for WWDC and Apple to enter the streaming music market. They at least work with the following principle: Focus on things you do best and do them well. Spotify isn't Netflix, isn't Podcasting, isn't and never will be YouTube. Give it up.

Spotify was the future of music for me but has now just been destroyed in just one day. Am waiting for a response from you. And seriously: I will cancel my subscription if nothing is done by the time Apple brings out their new streaming service and I'm sure many will follow suit.

Regards

2 Replies

😞

Right, after Apple Music was introduced yesterday here is written confirmation I will be leaving after the 30th June.

I thought I had my problems solved by reverting back to version 3.0.0 of the app. I didn't have "Running" or the new "Now" feature. Also, the now playing screen was the older one with the menu bar and big album artwork with track time included. That has now disappeared and been automatically replaced.

This annoyed me again so much that I went ahead and updated to 3.2.0 (as it didn't make much of a difference now) and was promptly annoyed after opening the app, as videos were shown on the now screen. And: The content was utter bollocks. Sorry, but my intelligence feels offended. A 5 min video about a trip to the shops (some sort of Vlog style thing in German) as a shopping queen. In all seriousness: What does this have to do with a music streaming service? Daniel Ek's fail (oh. ok.) I read as a response to Apple's Keynote as "holy crap! my future is screwed".

My dear god, how far have we come. Spotify: You took a wrong turn with your recent update. Lots of people will leave, I'm sure of it. And all recommendations (got 5 paying customers for you) will be going to Apple Music. 2 of those have also said they will be jumping ship.

All most of what you will have left is your ad-supported listeners and we all know how good they are for your business 😉

Suggested posts