Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

New player UI in some areas?? (Full screen album art/disappearing playback controls)

Solved!

New player UI in some areas?? (Full screen album art/disappearing playback controls)

About a month ago I noticed Spotify made a change in the music player for their playlists. It looks different then the player we have in our personal playlists, saved songs, etc. This change makes the Spotify app very difficult and frustrating to use. In the below image, I compared the two side by side. In summery, the biggest issue is that the layout of the album art looks horrible as its stretched way too big/cut off, and the playback controls never stay on the screen (constantly hide). This makes the app very difficult to use, not to mention visually looking trashy.

I've opened a ticket about this with Spotify and they don't seem to understand what I'm talking about and instead sent me on the path of the usual troubleshooting, (reboot device, reinstall the app, etc) The thing is, this change is global. It happens on all of my devices (iPhone and iPad), and is not specific to my account (my friends see this too, and I was able to reproduce it on Spotify's "test account") I haven't seen anyone post about this yet so I figured I would take the lead.

Spotify New UI Issues.png

Spotify, PLEASE GET RID OF THIS NEW UI! The old UI is much more usable and looks so much better!

41 Replies

I really want to revert this change. It’s drainging my phone battery a lot faster when I have the app open now, plus at ugly as can be. Spotify should at least give us the option to disable it.

To each their own. Some may like it, like I do, and some may not, like you (OP). All you ask for is an option to revert to the old UI, and that's fair. I saw the new layout and I liked it, and thought cool, looks much better. I didn't know it does not apply to all playlists, and that's a bummer for me personally, especially when listening to a different playlist and not seeing the new layout; prompting me to look around in the settings to see if there's anything for me to change. Same thing with 'behind the lyrics' thingy, some may like it, but not me, I hated it and was happy to have the option to disable it. 

Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, you cannot revert this change.
Let me know if you have any question.

Hey, a follow up question to here. Couldn't spotify make a selection for those who like the old player UI and for those who like the new player UI, just like add a new feature to the settings list or something? It couldn't be that difficult. They roll out updates for the app occasionally, but I hardly find anything new in the updates. For me personally, I enjoy the new player UI, sad that it's only on selected songs or playlists

Marked as solution

Hey @Qwerty27_27, thanks for letting me know!

Spotify is testing new features now. Here's some more information about why you might be seeing different features.

https://support.spotify.com/using_spotify/system_settings/why-am-i-seeing-different-features-than-my...

To clearify that, a/b testing and install a Spotify beta app are not the same thing.

There is only limited percentage of users who have A/B tests on their accounts. Nevertheless, in this case, I will pass your feedback to the Spotify team.

And you may make a new account to see whether it has the A/B test or not. Then, if you want transfer all the music to new account, you can contact our support team for that.

Hope that helps 🙂

Music for you:
Check out "Intro: Grand Opening" on Spotify now!
spotify:track:1ZUhcJ9EXoyE27Y62TvLWE

It's very apparent that half of people like the new UI and half of people do not. Rather then annoying half of users, why not just make a simple option to let people choose? Then everyone can enjoy the look they prefer and no one goes unhappy!

Do any of you have the new design woth Premium.

I don't have the new design yet, only this new design on NOW PLAYING. Just play some Spotify playlist like Rap Caviar or mint

It seems that the new design is only on some selected songs or playlists. For example if you play Mannish Boy - Jimi Hendrix then it works also with Feel It Still by Portugal. The Man

Still would love for Spotify to give us the whole option to use the newer player more frequently on all songs 🙂

exactly Miika-William

I do agree with you the new full screen ui is about annoying to use but I think there should be an option to switch between as I actually like the look of the new UI although the pop down thing isn't a good thing. Aswell as how come it only pops up for some songs now?

How do I turn this on? I like it.

It's not possible. You can play songs with this UI only on playlists by Spotify, like mint, RapCaviar, etc.
If you want to see this UI on every sound you listen to, follow this simple steps:

1 - Play any song on playlists by Spotify.
2 - If you see the new UI, go to your own playlist and choice some sounds to add to the queue or any other sound on any playlist.

Every sound you want to listen to, you'll need to add to the queue.
Doing this, you're gonna see the new UI in every song played.

I personally hate the new UI and hope it never becomes available unless
there is an option to enable/disable it. I don't even listen to Spotify's
playlists (like Mint, etc) anymore because of the stupid UI. If they force
it on my own playlists, I would probably cancel my membership. It has been
months now that Spotify has been fooling around with this and I wish they
would just make up their mind and do something with it rather then being
inconsistent. There was a press release a few weeks ago that showed some
enhancements, but personally haven't seen them in any playlists on my
account so I can't tell if its any better or not.

it doesn’t always happen on spotify playlists.

i was on the “This is Metallica” playlist and I saw the new UI. Since then it has disappeared from the playlist.

The new UI looks amazing on an iPhone 10. I hope they keep it

Are you premium user or free ?

Premium

But you've this on all song?

But you have this layout on all songs? 

Suggested posts