Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

New version 1.x is unusably slow (ios 7, iphone 5)

Solved!

New version 1.x is unusably slow (ios 7, iphone 5)

Update 4/24: New build 1.1.0.2549 seems to be available on the app store with an apology in the app description... I'm still testing it out but many users here report the problem is solved.

Update 4/20: User named Matt Suda (mod?) has posted in this thread to expect an app update this week. No official word.

Update 4/07-ish: Spotify support says they are aware of the problem and "looking into it."

Spotify just upgraded itself to the newest 1.0 version on my iPhone 5 (iOS 7.1). The update renders the app unusably slow. After using it for several hours I had to revert back to the Apple Music app. Things I noticed:

- After augmenting a playlist (deleting a track, for example), the app is unresponsive for ~5 second.

- Clicking "Share" from the new popup menu renders the app unresponsive for ~5 seconds, and then executes several actions all at once.

- The (REV, PLAY, FWD) controls from the lock screen are unresponsive after the first command. Tracks take about 5-10 seconds to switch, and if I keep pressing FWD, for example, the requests seem to be queued, executing over the next minute at random times.

- Scrolling becomes slow / unresponsive. I must wait 5-10 seconds for scrolling in any list to be re-enabled.

Usability-wise I am unimpressed with the new search / discovery feature. I found it difficult to view all albums by a particular artist. I have to search, then scroll down to Albums, and then click on Albums to view all of them. Maybe there were more albums listed in the previous version?

Anyone else having these issues? The app is basically unusable at this stage, so I'm using the built in Apple Music app. Tempted to unsubscribe until the issue is resolved.

253 Replies

It is horrible. Switching over to Rdio if this doesn't get fixed in the next few days.

I have the same experience... but not global for the app.

I only have issues when I try to play a playlist I synced from my pc with songs that doesn't exists in spotify.

All other songs I stream are fine!

All other songs I synced from my pc, BUT exists in spotify are fine!

Here in the thread I explained my problem a little bit detailed.

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-iOS-iPhone-iPad-iPod-Touch/v1-app-freezes-is-unusable/m-p/73389...

Reinstalling the app didn't worked.

Same problems. 5-10 seconds pause between tracks. The Bluetooth DNLA doesn't update for between 25-30 seconds. Off line tracks stutter. Interface is very slow and sometimes unusable.

I've also had this problem and uninstalling/reinstalling didn't work for me. I hope the issue is resolved quickly, I  typically use the mobile app in the car and not being able to easily forward through a track indeed renders Spotify mostly useless to me.

Dear Spotify,

Your App is a **bleep**ing heap of **bleep**, it's had bugs since I can remember. I pay for the premium service but receive subpar software and service.

Please know, that as soon as a alternative is available I'll switch, just waiting for Beats Music to support australian and I'm **bleep**ing you guys off.

Every app promises bug fixes, and you fail everytime. You've proved yourselves incompetent many times and there is no coming back from that.

/rant

OP here,

After using the app for 2 days after re-installing, it's back to a crawl. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with local files synced into the app, or just being used for 2 days. The solution therefore does not work completely.

Still have the issue.

Dear spotify.

Considering that I spent in the last months more time with issues in the app than enjoying music and, additionally, considering  a number of functions that me and a lot of users like me, are waiting for long time now (landscape on IOS and buffering of next songs to avoid reproductions gaps, just to make 2 examples) I decide to cancel my premium subscription and move to Google music play.

I feel a little sad doing that because you were the first offering this service and I was your customer for long time now, but I feel the service is not any longer matching the expectations. Specially on the customer care site, in consideration that we are paying 9,99€ each month.

Thanks for the good music you provide to me on this time.

Same issue / symptoms for me on the standard iphone 4. Unfortunate given that offline streaming with bluetooth in the car is the most compelling reason for a premium subscription right now.

Same problem here...

If it's not a quicfix,  then please remove the version completely and give us the old one back until its fixed! 

This IOS release is a HORRIBLE! it takes 5 seconds to just move to the next song. I wind up pressing it 10 times then over the course of 90 seconds, it slowly moves forward one song at a time with huge lapses.. I will kill it then and have the same thing happen again after a pianful restart.

I have used SPotify for years. Now looking for something else. what a disaster. Do you test your software spofity? Using a Ipod Touch v5

Fire your SQA staff. they suck

I am with you - long time user and I will drop too. What a disater

Some of the Rock Stars where discussing this earlier in our chat and we have seen a number of the issues discussed here (on that note, we have also passed this topic over to the Spotify guys to make sure it reaches the devs).

For many this will be a given thing, but it is worth a) Rebooting your device by holding the home and lock buttons together until the Apple logo appears on screen and/or b) Reinstalling the Spotify app to see if that makes any difference (some reports say yes, some say no).

Just so we can get a quick summary of devices etc this is affecting, if you could let us know:
- What device you are having issues on (including Model eg. iPhone 4S or iPad Touch gen 4 etc)
- What version of iOS you are using
- Your Spotify version

We appreciate this is an annoying issue which hinders how nice the new redesigned app could be, so we will make sure all feedback gets passed over to the Spotify guys.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Hi Peter, just to be usefull to the comunity.

(as I told I already canceled my subscription (I was premium form 02/2013) and chose another provider, for this issue but also tired to hear from Spotify just promises about new functions and issues solved).

Device 1:

Iphone 4. IOS7.0.4

Device2

IPOD 4g IOS 6.1.2

Spotify version: 1.0.0.3251 in Both

In both I tried everithing possible:

1. uninstal the app
  2. clear the safari cache
  3. hard reset the device
  4. reinstal the app.
  5. clean the complete list of playlist
  6. clean the complete list of offline devices form my account

everithing usless, the app is unusable and after few minutes close by himself.

Unisintalled the app, rebooted the phone, reinstalled and everything appears fine now in terms of bluetooth performance on the Iphone 4, with IOS 7.01

Going to updated to IOS 7.0.4 to see if this causes any issues. 

iPhone 4S 64GB iOS 7.1 (11D167)

Resetting, reinstalling Spotify or even factory defaulting the phone does not help a bit.. it is still unusable.. this is not acceptable..

Spotify is all about enjoying music, not looking at fancy graphics that slows your phone!

Hello,

Long time user here and I must say I have been very disappointed to latest version of Spotify for my 16GB Iphone 5S (latest 7.1 version). It really took a leap backwards. It kinda looks nice but usability is abysmal. Did you even test it properly?!?

I've tried all the tricks now and I've come to the point where I cant blame anything else but bad programming. Sort it out ASAP

-Slow, Freezing and unresponsiveness (In almost every possible way)

-I cant queue most tracks in offline lists (Track(s) not available)

-Crashing

-Small buttons for shuffle play in player mode

Im definately not renewing my premium with this version!

Hello everyone!

Its very upsetting to the the reinstall trick didnt work for everyone 😞 I went through the proceedure of reinstalling today and it solved the slow interface for me, but as per this thread, it seems it doesnt solve the issue for everyone. I believe deeper down this is something with Spotify and the app itself, obviously affecting different users in different ways.

Fingers crossed, a permanant fix arises soon. I feel for the people experiencing these problems still.

Edit: There is another thread I am included in now where the subject is of the same issue. User nitrous_ has reported after attempting the re-install trick yesterday, there was no change to the performance issues he experienced. However, after my post today in the thread started by nitrous_ he had attempted the fix again and reported that Spotify does run better! nitrous_ suggested the idea a possible background iOS update had taken place between yesterday and today.

This seems like a very big issue for iOS users with Spotify, so it would suprise me if it has gone un-noticed by them. 

Hopefully this helps!

Kind Regards

Lee Clutterbuck

Also, please fix the problem with local track display.  The tracks in the command center only change for spotify-based music.

So I just got your music activated on my account today and everything now works perfect... Anyone else have a similar experience? Not that my device was ever bad just laggy on lock screen still not displaying local files on it tho but no lag issues

I've been testing things out for a few days since the new upgrade. It looks great (although it took forever to develop an interface for iOS7 when it seems that other apps were able to do this a few weeks to months after the innitial change), but I'm experiencing problems similar to what has already been listed here.  

I use spotify mostly in my car (which is the ONLY reason I pay for premium) and my iphone is connect to the car stereo from the USB. The lag time I experience isn't quite 5 seconds, but it's enough to be annoying (1-3 seconds). I also experience periodic scrolling through the songs in my playlist. This happens pretty randomly and I can't seem to pinpoint what causes it at the moment. 

I almost always scroll through songs using the swipe function (and up until now it was one of my favorite aspects of spotify) but now this function is almost unusable.

Admitedly, I haven't updated to the newest iOS software so I'm hoping that this may help. Either way, I don't expect spotify to fix this issue anytime soon considering how long it took to fix the car stereo issue 😕

Suggested posts