Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

New version 1.x is unusably slow (ios 7, iphone 5)

Solved!

New version 1.x is unusably slow (ios 7, iphone 5)

Update 4/24: New build 1.1.0.2549 seems to be available on the app store with an apology in the app description... I'm still testing it out but many users here report the problem is solved.

Update 4/20: User named Matt Suda (mod?) has posted in this thread to expect an app update this week. No official word.

Update 4/07-ish: Spotify support says they are aware of the problem and "looking into it."

Spotify just upgraded itself to the newest 1.0 version on my iPhone 5 (iOS 7.1). The update renders the app unusably slow. After using it for several hours I had to revert back to the Apple Music app. Things I noticed:

- After augmenting a playlist (deleting a track, for example), the app is unresponsive for ~5 second.

- Clicking "Share" from the new popup menu renders the app unresponsive for ~5 seconds, and then executes several actions all at once.

- The (REV, PLAY, FWD) controls from the lock screen are unresponsive after the first command. Tracks take about 5-10 seconds to switch, and if I keep pressing FWD, for example, the requests seem to be queued, executing over the next minute at random times.

- Scrolling becomes slow / unresponsive. I must wait 5-10 seconds for scrolling in any list to be re-enabled.

Usability-wise I am unimpressed with the new search / discovery feature. I found it difficult to view all albums by a particular artist. I have to search, then scroll down to Albums, and then click on Albums to view all of them. Maybe there were more albums listed in the previous version?

Anyone else having these issues? The app is basically unusable at this stage, so I'm using the built in Apple Music app. Tempted to unsubscribe until the issue is resolved.

253 Replies

- iPhone 5 (Verizon)

- 7.1 (most recent version)

- Spotify 1.0.0.3251

Back to slow behavior (especially skipping tracks from the lock screen) less than 1 week after I deleted + reinstalled + rebooted iPhone.

The new interface - well to put it politely - it looks like the Emos took over. Depressing.

"Shuffle play" - why do I need to see this at the top of every playlist - is it becuse the UI is user agressive?

No point in using Apples proprietary earplugs - reverse, ffwd, pause, skip - so slow - unuseable.

Not currently worth paying for, and on a monthly subscription - pretty easy to leave software that has fallen in love with its self and now leaves end users feeling dissapointed at an entire lack of quality in the end product.

This update was obviously not tested at all.

Turning Music Quality to Normal helped me a little with the lag.

Tried to reinstall the app with no. positive result.
The lag when switching songs from the lock screen is still there (especially when going to previous song). Takes 5secomds before anything happens and impossible to actually go to previous song.
(Music I've tried with is from playlists in offline mode)

Closing the app doesn't help.
Reset the phone doesn't help.
Restarting the phone doesn't help.
Changing music quality doesn't help.

iPhone 4s
iOS 7.1
Spotify 1.0.0.3251
What lies beneath the surface, that dark and twisted grin?
A mind so full of evil, and soulless heart within.

Same issues as OP and the rest here. Everything lags. On top of that, when I tried to play songs from my offline playlists earlier today it would only play the first 12 seconds of every song and then the sound would go away, even though the time kept on going.

The lack of quality control before a release is baffling. Please make this right ASAP spotify.

It was a quick fix like a crack head finds a small rock to get a quick fix... but $hit still don’t work!!!! Supper bad lag and nothing being done?! You would think some of the developers have iPhones and are having similar issues... so reinstalling will help out for about 5 seconds.... still waiting to hear from YOU SPOTIFY!!!!!

The crashes and the slow speed are so confusing. Is there a way to install the previous bulid of the iOS app? I just want to listen my playlist and enjoy the day and my way home in the car and I don't wanna bother with unstable, laggy and slow apps...

Also of note is an issue with metadata displaying on my device and my car.  The album artwork displays on the car's screen just fine but on my phone nothing except a music note shows up. I am running the latest version of iOS and it doesn't seem to have changed much. Still experiencing the lag when swiping through songs, as well as random scrolling through songs when i'm not even touching my device. Some tracks also stutter a bit when changing. 

It's like this update wasn't tested at all before it was released. 

The worst is hitting "next" and getting no response, so then you hit it again and again... Still nothing

Then 30sec to 1min later the app skips ahead as many songs as you tapped.

So frustrating. If we just got notice that they are working on it I would feel better

I'm having the same issues, unfortunately I upgrade to ios 7.1
I have been using premium account for 3 years since it came to USA, please developers fix that annoying issues
Pejuve

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem. Has spotify replied with a possible patch yet?

Pretty much the same as the rest of the users here.

The UI is pretty much unusable.

The lag is so bad that I can't even go back to the previous song because the "taps" when double tapping the back button register too far apart.  

The album art takes a good 15 seconds to load even though it's supposed to be a locally stored playlist.  

Delete and reinstalling didn't fix anything.  

Thinking about cancelling my subscription and going to Grooveshark.

My phone is 95% of my usage.  If that doesn't work, there's no reason for me to pay for it.

same issues here with 1.0.0.3251. It is pausing ~8 seconds inbetween songs before you can change them. The hole app freezes until that ~8 sec is up and it loads up the timer bar for the song. It needs to be fixed asap

Just wanted to pop in and say this isnt the issue. I have no songs synced already to my ipod. I only have spotify on my ipod. 

@Ericmanc30 wrote:
Same set up as you as well and I experienced the same problem with the lock screen, uninstalled spotify and re synced everything. Do you have local tracks mixed in a playlist with spotify tracks? I've found that that seems to be the issue causing the lock screen troubles for me at least

I need the old verison. Can you tell me how you did this please. Scottietrx@yahoo.com. Thank you!

@user-removed wrote:

Same issue here.

Both in Iphone and Ipod. (ios7 and 6)

tried everything possible, fresh install,  hard reset and so on.

Lucky me, the app store reinstall to me first the old version and not directly the last one.

So I went back to 0.9.4.25

but I'm not paying 10€/month to use an old version.

Please fix it NOW.

I believe the issue is a UI issue. Its spending to much time trying to load the app instead of delivering songs and quickly playing them. Sorry for multiple posts. Im just trying to help by giving my input on finding the true issue and a solution to the problem. I have contacted spotify and let them know of this wide spread issue. I haved asked for credit for the month since I paid for the non working serivce. They should fix it. They always do!

@Stubb063 wrote:

Pretty much the same as the rest of the users here.

The UI is pretty much unusable.

The lag is so bad that I can't even go back to the previous song because the "taps" when double tapping the back button register too far apart.  

The album art takes a good 15 seconds to load even though it's supposed to be a locally stored playlist.  

Delete and reinstalling didn't fix anything.  

Thinking about cancelling my subscription and going to Grooveshark.

My phone is 95% of my usage.  If that doesn't work, there's no reason for me to pay for it.

How did you install the older version?

Same here. Very frustrating. I'm running on iphone 4. ios 7

Before upgrade it was slow, but still usable. After the upgrade it is simply unusable.

Hit "pause" and 15-30 seconds later it pause. This happens almost all the time.

Hit >> (Next) to skip song and 15-45 seconds later it started playing next song. Sadly, I'm not even exaggerating.

Hit << (Prev) on the curernt song, the app won't register it until the new song already started for about 20 seconds. And by that time, it restarted the next song. If I insist on pressing the << (prev) twice to return to the song I want to listen, app will be freezing for 20 seconds, and then crash. 

Hit pause/play/skip/prev too many times because app won't register the command, and the app crashes as well.

If Spotify team does not know how to fix the issue at least give us option to roll back to the previous version. Don't wait until we switch.

It's absolutely astonishing that the Spotify customer service dpt hasn't even announced that this URGENT issue is being taking care of. One week since the update has passed already and you all seem to be too busy bathing in narcissistic investment mania and sucking up to Facebook and Apple. You really have humiliated yourself announcing in media that this version has been tested thoroughly. Absolutely unbelievable.

I have been a paying subscriber of this service for SIX (!) years, and yet I'm being left with a ridiculously unusable app. As a side note it's still not possible to send songs to other users without a disgusting Facebook account, a feature you so brilliantly removed followed by several complaints.

I'm leaving this sinking ship for whatever else I can find with a management that's not beyond all reason, which shouldn't take more than a Google search.

SKÄMS PÅ ER!

Suggested posts