Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

New version 1.x is unusably slow (ios 7, iphone 5)

Solved!

New version 1.x is unusably slow (ios 7, iphone 5)

Update 4/24: New build 1.1.0.2549 seems to be available on the app store with an apology in the app description... I'm still testing it out but many users here report the problem is solved.

Update 4/20: User named Matt Suda (mod?) has posted in this thread to expect an app update this week. No official word.

Update 4/07-ish: Spotify support says they are aware of the problem and "looking into it."

Spotify just upgraded itself to the newest 1.0 version on my iPhone 5 (iOS 7.1). The update renders the app unusably slow. After using it for several hours I had to revert back to the Apple Music app. Things I noticed:

- After augmenting a playlist (deleting a track, for example), the app is unresponsive for ~5 second.

- Clicking "Share" from the new popup menu renders the app unresponsive for ~5 seconds, and then executes several actions all at once.

- The (REV, PLAY, FWD) controls from the lock screen are unresponsive after the first command. Tracks take about 5-10 seconds to switch, and if I keep pressing FWD, for example, the requests seem to be queued, executing over the next minute at random times.

- Scrolling becomes slow / unresponsive. I must wait 5-10 seconds for scrolling in any list to be re-enabled.

Usability-wise I am unimpressed with the new search / discovery feature. I found it difficult to view all albums by a particular artist. I have to search, then scroll down to Albums, and then click on Albums to view all of them. Maybe there were more albums listed in the previous version?

Anyone else having these issues? The app is basically unusable at this stage, so I'm using the built in Apple Music app. Tempted to unsubscribe until the issue is resolved.

253 Replies

for some reason app store is loading for me (in both my devices) the app in 2 steps.

first load the old versions, and after ask to update....

I have automatiacal updates and download switched off in my devices..... (maybe this is the reason)

I can still at the moment install version 0.9.3 from the app store and not update it---

I'm in the same boat as you buddy. Tempted aswell to unsubscribe.

I'm gonna try to install the old IPA which I didn't yet update in my iTunes, but most probbably I'm gonna stop paying. This is ridiculous.

My old 486DX played MP3's better!

Sadly enough my iPhone is 10 times faster with 1 more core and performs horribly. 

-- EDIT --

I tried the reinstall procedure - didn't help at all

System: iPhone 4S

SpotifyApp: 1.0.0.3251

I'm a long term spotify user (had another account since 2007, premium since 2009) and since last week I consider switching back to the good ol' MP3 hoarding way for listening music. This is just plain annoying. At least put up the OLD app to appstore aswell as a quickfix for the annoyed paying customers! 😞

just because someone is unique, it doesn't mean he's useful...

same here..

unusable slow and terrible performance, planning to unsubscribe it.

Now when I try to change track using my car stereo, it tables around 30 seconds to change a song. Thats ridiculous 

Same here - on an Iphone 4.
This is completely ridiculous.
The App seems to get WORSE with every update - and I'm close to leaving Spotify.
Instead of solving stuff like the really bad shuffle-function and giving us the possibility to manage playlists comfortably on Ipad and Iphone, an absolutely unnecessary optical redesign is done - making the app completely unuseable.
VERY annoying, Spotify!!!!!

Here's what I've noticed since yesterday. There is a lag when listening to spotify on my iphone via headphones. It takes 3-5 seconds to swipe through songs. The play time shows up around this 3-5 second mark as well as the album art. Listening to spotify via USB cable in the car, the lag is much worse. The wait can be up to 10-30 seconds. I can swipe through about 3-4 songs and then spotify will randomly start scrolling through songs. I can try fastforwarding and rewinding with basically no immediate response. When this happens, the song metadata doesn't change at all and usually tries to stay on the song I was trying to listen to about 4 songs back. Honestly, it's so inconsistent and happens so randomly that it's hard to pinpoint exactly when and why things go bad (especially when using via USB in the car)

I understand that most software updates will have their glitches but I feel like other apps I use respond to bug-related complaints very promptly, AND Apple responds almost immediately to user complaints when a software update comes out. Visually, the app has improved but the usability has regressed so much. It really seems like this update wasn't beta tested at all. What's most disappointing about this is that NO ONE from spotify has acknowledged any of the complaints so far. That's really terrible customer service. I don't want to switch to another service because when spotify works, it works beautifully. Not only that, but the price for a premium membership is incredibly reasonable. However, if this doesn't get resolved in a reasonable amount of time I may have to look elsewhere for a streaming service. I realize that this "threat" probably doesn't mean much but maybe try thinking of your PAYING CUSTOMERS for once. 

I am also seriously considering to another streaming service as Spotify seems to not give two damns about their customers. I am very disappointed that they still haven't fixed the issue that you are unable to share music to non-Facebook users on iOS and Android. So in light of that, is there any way to export playlists to other streaming services? That's the only thing that's keeping me from switching.

Idd the app keeps getting worse! I found the old 0.6.x which i'm now using..
It is freakingly fast compared to even the 0.9 version which i started using when i first subscribed, on my iPhone4-32G.
Although the playlists are in shuffle mode permanenty (old bug i assume) i'm not updating until i see all of you comment that the lag bug is finally fixed and verified.

Really. I had my doubts but i assure you now, the older the version the better. Unfortunately. Gl to all

-There is no cow level-

I would just like to say that I'm super unhappy with the latest update on the iPhone. I have LOVED Spotify until now. I am a techie so I'm not adverse to change in general. But I really don't like it. It crashes. It's hard to see the buttons. It's hard to star something. It crashes. It freezes. It can't be stopped sometimes... It's impossible now to opporate quickly at a red light. No way. Too hard to see the little icons. I can't read the text on the song lists. Did I mention that it crashes? A lot! I have restarted, etc... it's just buggie and for a paid service I do hope it will get improved or reverted back to the awesome app that it was - soon.

Someone mentioned they reverted back to an older version. Can I do that? How would I go about that?

Thanks so much, 

Bobby

Bobby as far as i have understood so far, the legitimate way to do a downgrade is to remove the app and re-download it from iTunes, if you are of the ones that seem to get the app in 2 "parts". At first the 0.9 version and then the 1.x update. If this happens for you, too, then you just have to do "part" number 1 only.. There is a handful of people reporting that they don't get the 1.x version directly. Maybe it happens for everyone, i do not know. GL!

-There is no cow level-

Could someone from Spotify at least acknowledge that this is being worked? This thread is 7 pages of people reporting the same issue. 

iPhone 5

iOS 7.1

Latest update to spotify gives me the same issue everyone else in this thread is reporting. Yes I've rebooted, yes I've reinstalled the app.

Can we at least get a software roll-back option until this has been resolved?

Now when i got Your Music the ipod touch 4g dont lag so much and is allmost like before.

Don't know what changed.

Hey guys I just wanna ask again has anyone gotten your music and had the problem continue? It seems to me that since the new update is designed around your music it doesn't handle having the old system in place... Again I could be wrong but I haven't heard different from anyone with your music, if so it's kinda irresponsible of spotify to do these staggered activations of it.

They responded to my premium support email saying they know about the problem and are working on a fix.

Having the same problems. I usually listen with a pair of Jaybird BlueBuds X headphones that connect via bluetooth; transmitting commands like skipping or pause can often take up to 10 seconds. Sometimes, the headphones give me the "command transmitted" bing sound, and the song just keeps playing in the background for a couple seconds. As a paying Premium customer, I find this very annoying, since mobile usage is the eminent reason why I subscribed. Please fix asap. I'm on an iPhone 4S.

@spotify_user_48 wrote:
They responded to my premium support email saying they know about the problem and are working on a fix.

How about just rolling back to the "beta" days of 0.xxx when the app worked great!

I'm tired of bad performance and having to hard reboot my phone and reinstall constantly to even get the app to start up.

Hi. Version 1.0.0.3251 is really bad! I'm getting same problems as everyone else. Just so slow. Please fix this ASAP or just put the old version back on the store. That worked fine!

Ditto here - client is practically unusable.

It's barely possible to cajole it into starting to play a playlist, and if you don't touch it it seems to be ok - unless it crashes or randomly stops for no reason, of course.

Forward / back buttons seem to take up to 30s to respond (if they do at all), though in one case it actually played an entire song and *then* skipped forward...

Cover art often takes maybe 10s to load.

If this is due to fancy multithreaded rendering or similar, a "lite" setting would be nice - though is seems ppl on iphone 5s are having the same issue, so maybe just a bug I guess.

device: iphone 4
ios version: 6.1.3
spotify version: 1.0.0.3251

The lack of communication of official representatives from Spotify is very disappointing. I'm having performance issues, too. And I also miss the features, others are complaining about in this forums. I really think about cancelling my premium subscription. After all, I decided in favor of Spotify because of their intuitive and performant application(s).

I just wonder *WHY* (as I really believe now that this problem affects EVERY paying user - who has sync'd some offline playlists) they just do not roll back the version in appstore?

I mean it cannot be that hard check-outing the last working version, apologize and push it to the AppStore?

just because someone is unique, it doesn't mean he's useful...

@user-removed wrote:

Just got an answer from spotify support.

They have a team locking after this issue.

I really hope they can have it solved soon.

Looks like the release last night (9th April) has really helped. My two devices are considerably better. No 5-10 second delay between songs, I can stop\start\pause tracks without it thinking forver about it - much better.

Suggested posts