Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

New version 1.x is unusably slow (ios 7, iphone 5)

Solved!

New version 1.x is unusably slow (ios 7, iphone 5)

Update 4/24: New build 1.1.0.2549 seems to be available on the app store with an apology in the app description... I'm still testing it out but many users here report the problem is solved.

Update 4/20: User named Matt Suda (mod?) has posted in this thread to expect an app update this week. No official word.

Update 4/07-ish: Spotify support says they are aware of the problem and "looking into it."

Spotify just upgraded itself to the newest 1.0 version on my iPhone 5 (iOS 7.1). The update renders the app unusably slow. After using it for several hours I had to revert back to the Apple Music app. Things I noticed:

- After augmenting a playlist (deleting a track, for example), the app is unresponsive for ~5 second.

- Clicking "Share" from the new popup menu renders the app unresponsive for ~5 seconds, and then executes several actions all at once.

- The (REV, PLAY, FWD) controls from the lock screen are unresponsive after the first command. Tracks take about 5-10 seconds to switch, and if I keep pressing FWD, for example, the requests seem to be queued, executing over the next minute at random times.

- Scrolling becomes slow / unresponsive. I must wait 5-10 seconds for scrolling in any list to be re-enabled.

Usability-wise I am unimpressed with the new search / discovery feature. I found it difficult to view all albums by a particular artist. I have to search, then scroll down to Albums, and then click on Albums to view all of them. Maybe there were more albums listed in the previous version?

Anyone else having these issues? The app is basically unusable at this stage, so I'm using the built in Apple Music app. Tempted to unsubscribe until the issue is resolved.

253 Replies

this is bull**bleep**! I'm a paying customer!

MikeAllenPugh reported an updated version on April 9th that is considerably more responsive. Any other users' input on the new update? Have you tried it? Is it working for you?

-There is no cow level-

What is his revision?

.3251 still here.

Maybe different regions?

just because someone is unique, it doesn't mean he's useful...

Hey everyone!

Thank you for all of your feedback, we really do appreciate it.

We're investigating the matter as we speak. Please bear with us, we should have some news for you soon.

We'll keep you all updated.

the new "improved" spotify is on iOS is just horrible. my iPhone 4 struggle to even put songs on pause.

this is not acceptable. have you guys even tested the new one on older devices at all?

its horrible, im almost tempted to go back to wimp  (even tho that app is **bleep**e but atleast works)

In iOS 6 in iPhone 3GS exists the same problem, the app is unresponsive and I can hardly use controls, with a delay of 30 or more seconds.

Well till that update i was happy user of Spotify Premium on the iPhone 4 as mostly I listen musin on the go. That update does not work best, it's rather tragic - in fine words without swearing. As from spotify forum we can see it is not the "old iPhone" issue. People

with iP5 + have same problems.

IMO

1. New design is not not user friendly, color palette is completely confusing. PC version is ugly too.
2. As many I have problem when I want to change a song, you click next button and the song goes for another 10-30 seconds, until it is changed. If you want to change a song back to previous it is almost impossible to do that by this issue.

3. When hitting pause / stop button same... 10-30 seconds delay.

Why spotify want to be so simillar to Windows 8 / iOS design?

Please do not make us happy at any cost - us users who pay you, give us choice in which graphic design are we interested and we want to see. I personally prefer old one. This also applies to the PC version as well. Add skins or something like that and problem solved 🙂

COME ON! I started paying Premium on the weekend and it worked flawlessly... four days later I get an unusable update?? Are you kidding me?

i'd just like to add my voice to the list of unhappy customers.

The current version runs sooooo slowly on my iphone 4s.

pausing, skipping tracks, adding things to playlists etc, are all terribly slow.

button presses dont appear to register for up to 15 seconds and then all the UI interaction that happened in that 15 seconds gets handled at the same time. 

it's very frustrating!

come on Spotify, patch this release!

cheers,

Rupert

PS - this is a blip in an otherwise excellent service...

It's working again on my 4s now!

Dont know what did it, if they updated something or the fact that i replaced the screen so i had reset the date and stuff to get it working. 

( I had the problem on this website, http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/112966/No+signal+after+screen+repair,+Searching...+NEW )

Maybe it could be as easy fix as deleting the network settings from the menu (did that aswell)?

Some thoughts for the people still struggling atleast

Hey man, I would not assume it's working OK again unless I use it for some more days...

Some people reported that the app worked OK for a couple days and then started to fail.

This is clearly an issue, even if not all customers are affected 😉

Was that a reply to me?

I did not uninstall or reinstall anything but the network settings though, so IF it starts acting up again that will be the first thing i will do again 🙂

Yeah it was 🙂

I tried the reset network settings but it didn't solve it... it's almost impossible to go forward from the earpods without a 5 sec lag at least. With the Music app or previous versions of Spotify didn't happen.

Weird thing is it happens with OFFLINE music... I can understand with streaming, but offline? Really? 😕

Good luck!

New update is horrible. Design if fine, but overall performance not for acceptance. Sometimes it's freeze even my phone and I need to wait few seconds to kill app. I don't know for what they still waiting.

@Dahruu 

Mate, this problem does not occurs only with streaming. I have most played playlist as offline ones, so this problem is even with playlist downloaded on device (my mp3 too). I doubt that changing network settings help with it.

Switching between songs takes up to 20 seconds on an iphone 5S, with all recent updates installed. This is a serious issue, if the most up to date hardware and software won't work properly with this new update.

Same here. Really disgraceful, and my premium subscription is now cancelled. I'm not paying good money for a rubbish product.

This issue must be massive. And still no decent explanation heard whatsoever. Its been over a week now and must be affecting thousands or maybe even millions. Maybe they are working on it, but why:

A) It's taking so darn long

B) They won't let us, the paying customers, know they are aware of this big issue and really are working their socks off.

I see everyone going through same "repair" patterns only to find out it's the application itself making the mess. BTW, I tried some older version on older device and boy was that fast!

Wake up spotify!

Well, developing a solution is not that easy. First you need to detect what's the source of the problem, then make a plan to fix it (without a plan and studying, they could break another functionality), then develop it and, finally, submit it to the App Store.

People at the App Store will take something like 5 or 6 days to review the app, so calm down.

Still they should have done an exhaustive testing before releasing such a big update.

For time being they can go back to previos version. And next time take longer time to test it on more devices.

Suggested posts