Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

New version 1.x is unusably slow (ios 7, iphone 5)

Solved!

New version 1.x is unusably slow (ios 7, iphone 5)

Update 4/24: New build 1.1.0.2549 seems to be available on the app store with an apology in the app description... I'm still testing it out but many users here report the problem is solved.

Update 4/20: User named Matt Suda (mod?) has posted in this thread to expect an app update this week. No official word.

Update 4/07-ish: Spotify support says they are aware of the problem and "looking into it."

Spotify just upgraded itself to the newest 1.0 version on my iPhone 5 (iOS 7.1). The update renders the app unusably slow. After using it for several hours I had to revert back to the Apple Music app. Things I noticed:

- After augmenting a playlist (deleting a track, for example), the app is unresponsive for ~5 second.

- Clicking "Share" from the new popup menu renders the app unresponsive for ~5 seconds, and then executes several actions all at once.

- The (REV, PLAY, FWD) controls from the lock screen are unresponsive after the first command. Tracks take about 5-10 seconds to switch, and if I keep pressing FWD, for example, the requests seem to be queued, executing over the next minute at random times.

- Scrolling becomes slow / unresponsive. I must wait 5-10 seconds for scrolling in any list to be re-enabled.

Usability-wise I am unimpressed with the new search / discovery feature. I found it difficult to view all albums by a particular artist. I have to search, then scroll down to Albums, and then click on Albums to view all of them. Maybe there were more albums listed in the previous version?

Anyone else having these issues? The app is basically unusable at this stage, so I'm using the built in Apple Music app. Tempted to unsubscribe until the issue is resolved.

253 Replies

I dont know, the only thing that seems to be better with the update is the lag when switching track, but it still takes ages to go to an album or artist, still takes ages to login, still logs me in again each and every time i open another app and then spotify, even if i am in offline mode, still drains battery and memory like a hog, and best of all, they broke the playlist editing and track rearangement YET AGAIN with 1.1... Very nice!.... I dont know what issues it fixed for you guys lol... But this is absurd, im getting fed up of such a changing, unpredictable and unstable piece of junk.

IPhone 4S, iOS7.0.4, 3G conn, no jailbreak, in case anyone is wondering.

I've had version 1.1.0.2549 for a couple of days now and so far it's much better concerning lag, unresponsiveness and crashes. To me, those were the major problems with the previous version. Good of Spotify to fix them and if they made them a priority it was the correct choice. 

Still some issues with track metadata though. Like, for instance, album name not updating when I change track or tracks incorrectly shown as not in offline mode when they in fact are. 

iPhone 4, iOS 6.1.3, BTW. 

Version 1.1.x seems to fix the lag issues. Still a little offput by the lack of stars / replacement by the "+" button but this is relatively minor and there are other threads talking about this.

For now, I think this issue is solved.

Hello everybody,

firstly sorry for my average english, 

I have an iPhone 5 iOS 7.1.1 and Spotify (obviously :P) v1.1.0.2549 i'm a spotify premium since feb 2010. 

It's my first reaction here but i have a big issue with this spotify version :

- Indeed i have bugs when i want to use Siri while playing songs on Spotify.

- When i want to make a research on a song or an artist the app is very slow and the keyboard is unresponsive! very annoying !! it's doesn't happen all the time but it's frequent enough to make me using the Apple music app instead of it!

- Also when pushing forward button or reverse the app is very slow for about 5-6 seconds !! 

Is spotify aware of the issues ? i'm an old user and it is the first time that i'm complaining it is very frustrating ! 

thank you

Sedik

already installed the patch but spotify only workfs whitout problem for a few minutes and then  starts to bug and freeze again, i am the onlye one?

Nope, 1.2.0 is still unstable. All 1.x releases have been pathetic for a company as big as Spotify. Don't hold your breath for any improvement. I still use Spotify, but I've come to expect the worst in every category in terms of software design. If you can't deal with it I'd recommend literally every competitor out there.

•  I'd recommend literally every competitor out there.

Except iTunes / iOS7 Music app. Since when is it acceptable for companies to release such **bleep**ty software?

Not sure what you mean. The iOS 7 Music app is certainly worse than it used to be, but I do believe it's better composed than the Spotify app.

In any case, it appears that a lot of Spotify loyalists are iTunes defectors. This seems natural, since Spotify has built their business on smoothly replacing iTunes.

How could this issue not have come up in testing? Whoever was responsible for testing this new and "improved" design has a lot to answer for. 

If these issues regarding fundamental features  and performance of the app (such as album art in local files, and the unacceptable slowdowns) were discovered in testing, why release a half-hearted new design to a paid userbase? Particularly in a streaming music environment that is about to be turned on it's head by the new Apple/Beats venture.

If it wasn't discovered in testing, what the hell were the testers testing for? 

Here's what I believe the extent of the testing was for this new design

Step 1: Click on Spotify app icon

Step 2: Does app load and show a new black UI? If yes, testing complete 

END OF TEST

Spotify needs to lift it's game - fix the embarassing issues with this new design - and do it fast

It's appalling how long we need to wait between updates, I've had apps by single person developers release updates in half the time this app is taking!

If it's an App Store issue - then find another way to get updates and fixes to your PAID users sooner....

LIFT...YOUR....GAME....SPOTIFY.....and LISTEN and RESPOND to your users.....

Relying on active members of a forum community to cover your behinds is amateur hour

Still painfully slow with the latest June update.

All of this came hand in hand with any of the 1.0.x upgrades and newer.

This needs to be fixed. When using Bluetooth in my car, it's almost unusable. The previous / next track buttons have a ~5 second delay, where they were immediate before the UI change, and at times, the radio function becomes unusable, it'll just stop responding to any sort of input until I force close the application.

This is terrible. I came back from Google Music because I got an iOS device and their app was junk on iOS. I'm thinking about heading back over to Google Music for the sake of getting my darn bluetooth working properly again.

I am having the same exact issue as everyone here. I started on iOS 6 and was working like a champ. The moment I upgraded to iOS7

Deleted All Spotify Data - No effect

Deleted All Spotify Data, then Deleted App - No Effect

Deleted All Spotify Data, Deleted App, & Restored entire phone - No Effect

It doesn't matter how many times I restart, what I have running, or where I am logged in at.

The only thing I have noticed is that if you store music on your iOS device it makes the device do this. If you store your own music it makes it about 20 times worse. I only have this issue on my iOS device, and it is getting a bit ridicious nothing has been done about this yet. I deeply regret upgrading to iOS7 because it crippled my main function of my phone besides calling people and checking email.

Running the newest version 1.3 with the newest iOS. No change at all.

I gave up. There are parts of Spotify I love but for now I've gone back to the free version and am paying for a different service for now. They don't have all the functionality that Spotify has, but they don't insist on the inaccessible black background on my Mac - and it just works. Wish they could combine the best of both. 

Cheers,

Bobby

Yeah, I have to admit that even if I use it everyday, Spotify turned pretty annoying. It's still sluggish on my iPhone, and i still have troubles syncing local files and offline availablity. Also, none of my albums are available offline, if I'm not connected to the internet, even if they're checked for offline availability...

… and Spotify was so great for a while there… You screwed up, guys! 

Suggested posts