Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

New version 1.x is unusably slow (ios 7, iphone 5)

Solved!

New version 1.x is unusably slow (ios 7, iphone 5)

Update 4/24: New build 1.1.0.2549 seems to be available on the app store with an apology in the app description... I'm still testing it out but many users here report the problem is solved.

Update 4/20: User named Matt Suda (mod?) has posted in this thread to expect an app update this week. No official word.

Update 4/07-ish: Spotify support says they are aware of the problem and "looking into it."

Spotify just upgraded itself to the newest 1.0 version on my iPhone 5 (iOS 7.1). The update renders the app unusably slow. After using it for several hours I had to revert back to the Apple Music app. Things I noticed:

- After augmenting a playlist (deleting a track, for example), the app is unresponsive for ~5 second.

- Clicking "Share" from the new popup menu renders the app unresponsive for ~5 seconds, and then executes several actions all at once.

- The (REV, PLAY, FWD) controls from the lock screen are unresponsive after the first command. Tracks take about 5-10 seconds to switch, and if I keep pressing FWD, for example, the requests seem to be queued, executing over the next minute at random times.

- Scrolling becomes slow / unresponsive. I must wait 5-10 seconds for scrolling in any list to be re-enabled.

Usability-wise I am unimpressed with the new search / discovery feature. I found it difficult to view all albums by a particular artist. I have to search, then scroll down to Albums, and then click on Albums to view all of them. Maybe there were more albums listed in the previous version?

Anyone else having these issues? The app is basically unusable at this stage, so I'm using the built in Apple Music app. Tempted to unsubscribe until the issue is resolved.

253 Replies

Similar issue to everyone, of course, but it sounds like a lot of folks aren't having quite the amount of issues I'm having. I have virtually been unable to use the app since the update that broke it.

When I'm changing songs (Either by hitting the >> button or by hitting Shuffle Playlist at the top of the playlist) it will either freeze up entirely, leaving me unable to even exit the app itself for 10+ seconds, or will slowly switch songs. The track title and album art usually won't' change, it will just go to the next track. Sometimes it takes 15 seconds for it to finally switch tracks. And if I hit the button again in that amount of time it just continously starts skipping through my tracks. This happens whether I'm in teh app or on the lock screen. 

I have no backups to restore the previous version of the app, unfortuantely. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling the app, I've powercycled the device about a million times now, no luck. 

Is Spotify at least recognizing this as a known issue (12 page thread, they certainly better!) that will be fixed, or are they wholly ignoring the problem? I don't mind sticking around if a fix is on its way, regardless of ETA, but if they think this isn't a problem I'd like to know now so I can just unsub and head back to Pandora.

App has been unbearable since the update

This is hopeless.

Anyway, I just send a short message to Spotify founder regarding this problem and point him to this thread. Don't know if he will ever read the message, but let's see if he responses.

IPhone 5s, latest iOS Version, same issue. The app is absolutely unusable, extremely long delay in changing tracks or showing album art. I'm using the premium mostly when driving my car. Using the car's controls (BT connected) results in app freezing or a delay of more than 30 seconds. Skipping through playlists is a real mess...

make the previous version available in app store, then fix the problems before updating. Paying 9.99 a month for nothing more than frustration makes me a very unhappy user

@Riotous
After I have sent report, nice lady respond to me that they have some little problem and employees are gathering info and data about it and meanwhile I should check out FAQ / problem solving site and comminity for solution.
FFS I would not sent report without check that in the first place.

Have just found a fix for the problem.

-Uninstall the current version of Spotify

-Install Deezer

-Fixed

I'm having the same problems as everybody else with this latest "update".

I have iPod Touch 8GB, with latest IOs

Hopefully this will be fixed soon, since I'm paying subscriber.

did the reset and it seems to be working faster now, for now! was not going to take Spotify's twitter teams advice and unstall and reinstall! I would have 2198 songs to re sync 😕

I am having the exact same problem. Spotify on my iPod touch 5th generation and iPad 2 is unusable. Unbearably slow to change tracks, freezes and becomes unresponsive. I am a premium user, I pay good money to use this service. If this doesn't get fixed I will leave the service.

And I have uninstalled the software and reset my device and it is still unbearable.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Spotify you have ruined a good service. Well done. All for a fancy background. What good is a fancy interface ?? I payed to play music..

I think everybody should just take all of this to Facebook and bombard them with the problems we are all experiencing. Then it will get sorted out!!!

I hesitated to write a "me too" reply, but since Spotify seems to do it's best to ignore the problems I thought that that I might as well. 

I haven't read all the posts so I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet: there used to be a glitch that made the Spotify app claim that it was not connected to the internet for a few seconds when you opened it. It was fixed some time ago, maybe a year or so. Anyway, the latest update managed to unfix this glitch, so now it's back. 

I also have the same problems pretty much everyone in this thread have mentioned already: app is laggy, unresponsive, crashes a lot and the shuffle button is too prominent. I admit that the the shuffle button is a design issue, not a bug, but the rest sure is. 

This update is so bad it makes me wonder if the motto for the developers making it was: "If it ain't broken - break it."

Ok, so first of all, spotify IS working to fix the problem, as stated earlier in this thread. They should hurry up though.,, I tried re-installing, re- syncing, even restoring my phone 4-5 times, with and without backup, and still my problems persist. Only now I have problems with sound overall. In all my apps. Guess as a "lucky" coincident my phone got hardware problems at the same time as installing this scandalous update...

Perfect! - being on vacation and all...

Hi

I fixed this problem, once and for all!!

I rolled back from iCloud to Spotify v. 0.7.xxx and MY GOD is this just awesome!!

It is not as pretty and fancy, but **bleep** yea it works fast and well! 🙂

This just made me smile again, and I have now turned off auto-update, and I will probably never upgrade 🙂

I had this problem too. For reference, I had updated to the newest spotify version, but did not have "your music". It locked up constantly and had major lag. One day this week, I opened it and noticed I now had "your music". From then on, the problem was gone - it was quick and responsive. I've been waiting for the problem to return, but it hasn't so far. I have a huge amount if locally synced music - 44 gb - and many playlists with both local and streamed music.

Why doelnet the updated verzin start in my music? I do not. want to search or browse New music when i start up. App is totally buggy. I hate it. Hoe van i revert to the previuos version on my iPod touch?

@Jesper_Sorensen: I rolled back to an older version, too. My backup only contained version 0.9.4 but as it is from the pre-black-as-it-is-sad period, it should also fix the problem.

@Jaapdijks: see https://sites.google.com/site/appleclubfhs/support/advice-and-articles/app-store-downloading-older-v...

That's it!

I switched to Rdio after more than one year of premium subscription to Spotify.

Goodbye Spotify for having created such a mess with this useless broken update. The worst may be that you never took the time to post whatever status in this community about this situation. This speaks for yourself on how you consider your customers.

Good luck to everybody.

I just managed to downgrade to 0.9.3 (had an old .ipa in iTunes) Thank god it worked. Till this mess is fixed I won't update.

just because someone is unique, it doesn't mean he's useful...

Suggested posts