Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

New version 1.x is unusably slow (ios 7, iphone 5)

Solved!

New version 1.x is unusably slow (ios 7, iphone 5)

Update 4/24: New build 1.1.0.2549 seems to be available on the app store with an apology in the app description... I'm still testing it out but many users here report the problem is solved.

Update 4/20: User named Matt Suda (mod?) has posted in this thread to expect an app update this week. No official word.

Update 4/07-ish: Spotify support says they are aware of the problem and "looking into it."

Spotify just upgraded itself to the newest 1.0 version on my iPhone 5 (iOS 7.1). The update renders the app unusably slow. After using it for several hours I had to revert back to the Apple Music app. Things I noticed:

- After augmenting a playlist (deleting a track, for example), the app is unresponsive for ~5 second.

- Clicking "Share" from the new popup menu renders the app unresponsive for ~5 seconds, and then executes several actions all at once.

- The (REV, PLAY, FWD) controls from the lock screen are unresponsive after the first command. Tracks take about 5-10 seconds to switch, and if I keep pressing FWD, for example, the requests seem to be queued, executing over the next minute at random times.

- Scrolling becomes slow / unresponsive. I must wait 5-10 seconds for scrolling in any list to be re-enabled.

Usability-wise I am unimpressed with the new search / discovery feature. I found it difficult to view all albums by a particular artist. I have to search, then scroll down to Albums, and then click on Albums to view all of them. Maybe there were more albums listed in the previous version?

Anyone else having these issues? The app is basically unusable at this stage, so I'm using the built in Apple Music app. Tempted to unsubscribe until the issue is resolved.

253 Replies

Can you share that file?

Isn't his .ipa file have watermark for only his account due to Apple Store policy?

It's kinda useless obviously

link removed

--

just because someone is unique, it doesn't mean he's useful...

@tchan1

Tonsignal sent post taged as solution. It is partly solution but only for people ho have own .ipa file 🙂 it is on 14 page. with link https://sites.google.com/site/appleclubfhs/support/advice-and-articles/app-store-downloading-older-v...

Please read whole article. Youy can do that only if you own your .ipa - you downloaded previosly file which you want to downgrade as there is little note 🙂

NOTE: Do not download .ipa files from anyone other than Apple, as other downloads will be tied to the owner's Apple ID and will not install without their password.

BTW it is interesting that it was taged as solution 😉

I don't understand. How is this issue marked as "solved"? And the solution is to let customer figure out on their own to restore the older version if they are fortunate enough to keep the backup copy? What? Really?

I don't have a backup copy. How do I get the older version? And since when this issue become a customer problem when it's clearly an issue with the Spotify app. Why don't you Spotify people just rollback their code on the app store? Too much ego?, or Spotify team just can't think (or don't think)? Internal politics? Some higher rank people don't want to accept their mistake? What happened? Does Spotify team realize at all this is a serious issue? 

Very, very bad move, and this is completely unacceptable.

No response, no official workaround, no nothing. Keep customer in the dark. I don't even think they realize most of people posted in this thread are newly registered (e.g. register just to participate in this thead, me included).

The only reason why I'm still sticking here is I'm too lazy to export my big playlist. And I'm pretty sure the only reason people is still sticking around is because moving large playlists to other service is troublesome. If the export process is easy you would lose large chunk of customer base by now.

I guess I will just have to start. FYI I'm moving to Google Play Music. The app on IOS is way faster. It works.

What a waste of time. 

Please do not share files here. It is against the guidelines and any posts containing links will be removed.

There should be an update coming soon with bug fixes. It shouldn't be too long of a wait. 

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I haven't been keeping track of this thread, but I just want to contribute and say that I've also been having terrible performance issues on my iPhone 5 with the Spotify app since the overhaul update. The new UI looks slick, but the app has serious performance issues. Sometimes, it can take several seconds for the app to even register a command.

I think this is part of the same issue, but the performance issue also directly impacts my usage experience while connected to my car via Bluetooth. The next song would play but the screen in my car still displays the previous song and won't switch until several seconds later.

I'm glad to know that a fix is allegedly on the way, I hope.

Just letting my voice hear. The app is unusably slow right now...

Like CounterSeal, I too use the app in the car and find the same issue. Flicking through tracks now has to be done through the playlist screen which is not possible while driving.. (well, it is, but it's very illegal).. and my in-car display shows only the name of the first track I play.

It's ridiculous.

Same issues here, posting to subscribe and I am stopping my subscription. I'll come back - maybe - when it's fixed. It's not the phone, it's the App, and it obviously hasn't been UAT tested correctly.

It's absoloutely ridiculous how Spotify is reacting to this. They realeased an AWFUL update and basically burried their head in a hole with a sign that said "come back later". I had to roll back versions to make this app work for more than 5 songs. 15 seconds in between hitting the next button? Are you kidding me? How does this kind of stuff slip through QA?

Definitely looking into alternatives to spend my monthly subscription on instead of this. For what it's worth, rolling back versions is not hard at all, but still incredibly upsetting that a consumer had to fix something the supplier broke. 

I strongly encourage everyone to cancel their subscriptions, I have. If enough people take their business elsewhere then a rollback or update may be more forthcoming.

There should be an update coming soon with bug fixes. It shouldn't be too long of a wait.

Going forward after the update, please be patient as the Spotify developers listen to feedback and continue to fix bugs, as well as make improvements.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi I've been having a similar problem on the iphone 5. Very slow to respond to swipes and presses especially when trying to skip tracks. Anyway I just disabled gapless playback and now it is lot more responsive. Hope it helps some of you guys and girls.

Already cancelled, after 1 year of fidelity, just for 1 reason: for any company the higher value should be respect for the customers, there is no  innovation  more important than this.

I still don't understand WHY it's taking so long. At least to say WHAT is causing the problems, so at least we, the paying customers, can shut up. And please mods, be technical 😉 I mean I have, thank god, rolled back, so I don't care much, but I'm leaning towards another music provider slowly. Just 5 months after Spotify became available in my country....

just because someone is unique, it doesn't mean he's useful...

Just wanted to leave a message, since the update spotify is really slow most of the time, even restarting the app with an upsweep doesnt solve the issue. Rebooting the phone does, but only for a while until "it" happens and spotify becomes unsuable. Design shouldnt be priority. Despite its lacking features, I expect at least a working app of a service this big. Thanks, an Iphone5s User.

I was having the same usability problems with the app, but updating my iPhone 4 to iOS 7.1 made a really huge difference, as in very usable again. 

It's impossible to play music since last update.

Continous crashing and freeze, I can't use forward or rewind buttons, respond with a lot of seconds of delay.

Iphone 4 with IOS 7.1

@davida71uk Moved your post to the relevant section.

Suggested posts