Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

New video ad option for 30min of ad-free listening RUINING Spotify

New video ad option for 30min of ad-free listening RUINING Spotify

The newer option on Spotify to watch a 30 second clip to have 30 minutes of ad free listening is ruining spotify and I'm about to delete it from my phone. I understand they need ads for funding, and I like the idea of watching a video in exchange for a window of ad-free listening. But it doesn't work.

First off, there is no option to decline and there is often no announcement of the pause unless my screen is on/unlocked. When I do watch the video, Spotify does 1 of 3 things...in order of frequency. 

1. Plays the video and then freezes after, forcing me to close and reload the app

2. The video won't play and Spotify freezes, again forcing me to restart app

3. The video actually plays and I get 30 minutes of listening (this has only happened once)

Does anyone know if there is a way to fix this or if Spotify is working on fixing this problem? Also, my signal has no effect on it, the same thing has happened on 4G, LTE, & WiFi.

4 Replies

@user-removed wrote:

The newer option on Spotify to watch a 30 second clip to have 30 minutes of ad free listening is ruining spotify and I'm about to delete it from my phone. I understand they need ads for funding, and I like the idea of watching a video in exchange for a window of ad-free listening. But it doesn't work.

First off, there is no option to decline and there is often no announcement of the pause unless my screen is on/unlocked. When I do watch the video, Spotify does 1 of 3 things...in order of frequency. 

1. Plays the video and then freezes after, forcing me to close and reload the app

2. The video won't play and Spotify freezes, again forcing me to restart app

3. The video actually plays and I get 30 minutes of listening (this has only happened once)

Does anyone know if there is a way to fix this or if Spotify is working on fixing this problem? Also, my signal has no effect on it, the same thing has happened on 4G, LTE, & WiFi.

Hey @user-removed ,

Didn't encounter this problem because i'm using premium. I kinda love the idea that you wacht a 30 sec clip and in return you get 30m of ad free listening. Less ads is more fun 🙂

It's weard Spotify didn't announce this, but you can count on it that they are working on this problem.

Thank you for posting this bug, and thank you for using Spotify

My iPhone5 has been doing the same thing.  When I'm listening in my car, all of a sudden there will no music.  I have to unlock my phone and see that it is asking to play the video.  After I play the video, nothing happens and I must close and restart the app.  Everytime.

I just escalated this to the Spotify teams accordingly, you will hear back from them in just a bit.
Meet Jeremy! | Day Entrepreneur, Night, Music Fanatic
I'm here to shuffle!

• Write what matters in your heart to others, you never know whether you have another chance again.

Hi @themuell & @user-removed Thank you for reporting this to us. 

First have either of you tried doing a clean reinstallation? If you have and you're still having this issue could you fill in and post the details below? We'll then report it back to the right team!

Description

Replace this with a short description of the issue you're experiencing.

A more detailed description, using numbered steps

1. First I did this

2. Then I did that

3. I also did this

4. then this

5. then this

6. and finally, this

What I expected to happen

This is what I expected to happen

What actually happened

This is what happened instead.

My iPad/iPhone model

Eg. iPhone 3G, iPhone 4S, The New iPad, etc.

Device’s Operating System

E.g. 3.1.1, 4.1,5.1.1, 6.0.1, etc.

Is your device jailbroken?

If you don’t know what this means you can probably answer “No”

Approximately how many playlists do you have?

I.e. fewer than 10 or more than 200

Please also include how many, more or less, of those playlists are synced for offline use

My mobile Spotify version

E.g. 0.8.4.

My desktop Spotify version (if applicable)

E.g. 0.8.4.

My provider and country

Eg. AT&T, US; or Telia, Sweden

My username

To find this, click on your name at the top right of the site (next to where it says "Log out") then click Overview.

Do you have any screenshots you can attach to more clearly explain your issue?

If so, please paste them here

Suggested posts