Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

No Track Information (Title, Artist, Artwork) on BMW

No Track Information (Title, Artist, Artwork) on BMW

I just got a new 2015 BMW F30 and was planning to use an iPod Touch 5th generation for Spotify in the car. The idea was that I'd always have it in the armrest using the ConnectedDrive app so that I wouldn't have to take my phone out every time I got in the car.
However, none of the track information is transferring over to the car. The music still plays, but the track title and artist lines only show a couple dashes and there is no album artwork.
When I plug in my iPhone 6, though, all of the information transfers over fine.
I've updated my car's software to the latest version and am using the latest version of Spotify.

Does anyone have a solution so I can see the track information using my iPod?
8 Replies

Not sure as I don't own a BMW

There have been recent posts about an album art issue, but I'm not sure if it's related:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-iOS-iPhone-iPad/BMW-Connected-Album-Art-Issue/td-p/1005622/pag...

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

No, that doesn't seem to be related. Thanks, though!

You are using your ipod in offline mode, correct? There seems to be a missing metadata issue when using Spotify offline.

Yes, I am. Do you know if there's a timeline for a fix?

@SpotifyUser75 wrote:
Yes, I am. Do you know if there's a timeline for a fix?

No idea. I'm not even sure that Spotify developers know about this issue.

EDIT: I'm posting more information about this issue, maybe some moderator can post this as a bug?

Description:

When using Spotify in offline mode on an IOS device connected to BMW iDrive (BMW ConnectedDrive Apps, USB connection) and IOS device has no internet connection, then BMW iDrive does not show metadata (track, artist, album info, album art is not displayed on BMW iDrive).

Additional information:

To reproduce the issue, use a playlist that you have not played before. It seems that if you have previously played a song with active internet connection, then it sometimes displays metadata for this song even if there is no internet connection anymore.

If IOS device has a working internet connection then medatada is shown without problems.

Can someone inform the developers about this bug?

I also purchased a dedicated iPod Touch 5 to leave in the car and have the same issue with metadata and album art. In the beginning it appeared to be totally random, as sometimes it would display metadata/art and then other times (even for the same song later that day) it wouldn't. In the end I realised that when I started the car (and ipod) outside my home or work that the iPod was in range of the pre-configured wifi access points and the album metatdat/art would display, even after driving out of range everything appears to function correctly. So it seems as some function at start-up depends on connectivity and if that fails then the metadata/art display fails. As a temporary (but not the most convenient) fix I sometimes connect the ipod to the wifi hotspot on my phone and then disconnect. I have to be careful as the ipod is set to only sync over wifi and it is not aware that the wifi tether is using up my phone data. It doesn't have to be at start-up, this morning I tried an experiment where the data did not display, I connected to the tether reloaded the song and data displayed, I disconnected and other songs that had not displayed earlier in the journey now also displayed.

I have just completed a month’s trial with Deezer and it doesn't have this problem, I rejected it for now because of the way Deezer displays track information, they have album name followed by track name on a single line. I only have the Business display (so not as wide as the professional) and for long album names you don't get to see the track names. I am keeping an eye on Deezer though and would be tempted to switch if they fix this and Spotify does not get this problem fixed.

I have the same problem with my BMW F10 and iPhone5. The problem seems to be random with the tracks I have in offline mode. Very frustrating.

Suggested posts