Country

USA

Device

iPhone X

Operating System

iOS 12.4

Spotify version:

My Question or Issue

I enjoy seeing the album art while I drive, or listen to music at work. I have both a car charger that's always plugged in, and a charger at work/home while I listen. However, over the past few weeks, when I'm charging my phone and listening to music, the screen autolocks after the designated auto-lock settings are on my phone. I can set my screen settings to never lock, but I wouldn't want that for almost every other app or my homescreen. When I use google maps, or an app like that the screen doesn't auto-lock and i'm trying to figure out how to change this back.

I've uninstalled/reinstalled, updated my iOS, turned device on/off again.

14 Replies

Hi @nmosca,

As far as I know, there isn't a way to change this. If this is a feature you would like to see in the future, I would suggest submitting an idea on the Idea Exchange

Yeah, this started to happen to me too right after the last update. The app has always kept the screen on for years, now all of a sudden I have to keep tapping the screen every 30 seconds just to keep seeing the album art, playback buttons, etc. It's a real hassle, making Spotify almost unusable in the car if I'm going through my Discover Weekly playlist and want to know what artist/song is playing.

I‘m having the same issue since the last update. When using Spotify in car mode, the display never went black before (like the screen never goes black while using Google Maps for navigation). 

But now, even in car mode, the display goes black after 30 seconds or so. That is really annoying. Restarted my iPhone 8 and my car but to no avail.

Well, I saw there is a Spotify update today and I was hoping the update will solve this issue.  Unfortunately, the update does not solve the issue and the same problem exists.  

Also the same problem here, fully connected to my car/power and the lockscreen activated after a minute:

- iPhone 6

- iOS 12.3.1

- Spotify 8.5.16.642

It's absolutely infuriating for all the same reasons you described(iPhone 7 here). So difficult to drive when I have to keep reaching over to poke the screen every couple minutes. I was wracking my brain trying to figure out if I'd disabled/enabled some sort of battery save setting or toggled something I shouldn't have. It's a relief that I'm not the only one but it'd be a bigger relief (and a whole lot safer) if they'd put it back the way it was. 

Plan: Premium

Model: iPhone Xs

IOS: 12.4

Spotify: 8.5.16.642

Performed a clean reinstall of Spotify app: 

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Answers/How-can-I-perform-a-clean-reinstall-of-the-app/ta-p...

Still no solution for this problem after the last update. Also with a clean install it doesn’t work anymore...

Same „problem“ here... new annoying feature 😅...

Please make a „charging and never auto-lock“-option... or something like this 😄

still no fix and no this isnt a "new " feature we want. This feature was there before and taken away. It causes unsafe driving because when you want to skip a song you have to unlock your phone. 

No i'm not going to use Waze or whatever the **bleep** it is called, because unlike nabs at spotify I dont need navigation for every trip.

So fix this!

A friend of mine mentioned that this isn’t an issue with Pandora; giving a try today. 

Can we get an update on this?

Anyone had any success? I'm going to have to cancel if this isn't sorted. Too frustrating to have to keep unlocking constantly

The only workaround I've found is to change my Autolock to "Never" (Settings/Display & Brightness). It's the only thing that keeps it from shutting off, but that also means it frequently ends up being put back into my pocket without me remembering to manually click it off when I'm done using it, so my accidental battery usage has been considerable.

Not an acceptable workaround, this still needs to be addressed. 

Suggested posts