Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Offline Syncing Question

Offline Syncing Question

So I've just recently gone through the daunting task of removing songs that showed up "grey" on the spotify web player and replacing them with versions from Spotify.  Only took a couple hours with 1,300 songs (not too bad).

Anyways, there are still quite a few of my song (at least 80) that simply aren't on Spotify and had to be keep in the "local files" section.  

My question is... If you have a song that you've added directory from Spotify's catalog AND the same song in your local files... which syncs to your phone for offline playback?  The local copy or the Spotify copy?

Many of my songs are 192k and I'm aware Spotify uses in most cases 320k... I'd like to make sure that MY local copy is not used while syncing.

4 Replies

Hey there, when syncing local files, Spotify always tries to match up with what's in the catalogue. In almost all cases it'll work that way - but if either we don't have that track or your local file has a different name to what's in our catalogue, then it'll sync the local file.

--------------------------------------------------------------

For common support questions, see support.spotify.com.
To judge my musical taste, check out my last.fm.

.problem solved

picture.png

I noticed that under local files (on the iPhone app) 327 files were synced as local where only 50 of those songs were actually needed to be synced.  This indicates that Spotify will sync the local files as priority even if there is a copy in their catalogue.

My solution came down to removing all of my local files.. creating a playlist called "local files" and only adding the files that were unable to be matched with spotify (mostly led zeppelin, AC/DC and Tool in my case)

Working great so far!

Suggested posts