Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Apple Watch: Spotify Streaming and Offline Listening

Apple Watch: Offline Listening

watchOS 5 should allow Spotify to develop an app that allows offline listening and streaming via cellular data.

Vote here to show your support for this development!

Updated on 2021-07-20

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

Тhis has been one of our most upvoted ideas and we've known it's something that our users would really like to see come true. 
We're happy to announce that this feature will now become available for the Apple Watch Series 3 or later.

It will be gradually rolled out, so it might take a bit until everybody has access to it.  That being said, we'd like to let you know that the roll-out rate has increased a lot in the last weeks, so if you haven't received the feature in the past, try reinstalling the app on your watch again and there's a big chance you'll get Offline listening now.

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better and voting to make this happen, here on the Community.

Comments
lgreenlee

I think this an empty threat my friend. Apple music pales in comparison to Spotify!

😄

bandtank
No, it really doesn't. I just canceled my family plan and I'm getting my sisters to cancel theirs as well. The total lack of response is the primary reason. They could at least address this obvious shortcoming instead of ignoring it for so long. Honestly, only idiots behave that way and I have some experience here as I run a similar type of company with hundreds of thousands of people interacting with my products. It's not on the same scale as Spotify, but the principle of communicating to your customers is the same at all levels. Good riddance.
franciscosoler
Unfortunately for Spotify, it is not. I have just started my 3 month free trial with Apple Music and it is not bad at all. I still prefer Spotify but if in 3 months there is no Apple Watch app, I will cancel my family Spotify subscription.
jaruzek

Honestly quite surprised there isn't a Spotify app for Watch. I waited until Series 2 before getting one and just expected it to be there. Hoping Spotify is scrambling to make this happen!

erikakarlsson79
Please make the app Spotify!!
xertox

Been a Spotify user since the early "invite only" days, upgraded to Premium as soon as it was possible to do so. I have now ordered an Apple Watch series 2, and I just expected Spotify to have an app for the watch, and where really surprised when that wasn't the case. I have been a bit annoyed on Spotify software developers since I have been waiting for Spotify to support landscape mode in IOS (seems like a simple implementation, but nothing..), and now this? I remember Spotify as a company being in the forefront of giving customers what they want, and being very innovative. Not implementing features like these makes you wonder, is this the end of an era, Spotify?

Nickd91
It's not Spotify its Apple not allowing the integration. Apple wants you to use Apple Music.
xertox

It might be the case that Apple is not giving access to all functionality the watch supports, in order to give Apple Music an edge (possibly using heart rate monitor in order to match with songs etc.) But I find it very unlikely that Apple have locked Spotify out to the extent that they are not able to even make a basic native app to use as a remote, scroll in playlist, see album art, or even store a limited amount of songs for offline playing.
If that is the case thuogh, I would be very happy if any Spotify representative could confirm it, and I would directly divert my disappointment to another direction (Apple)

bandtank
This is exactly why I canceled my subscription. The fact that they may or may not be able to make the app isn't necessarily a deal breaker, but not taking 20 seconds to communicate is inexcusable.
franciscosoler
I agree. I find incredible that after so many posts the Spotify team is missing...